Is this performance normal?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tlsmikey, Jul 19, 2018.

1. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

Just trying to figure out if i've got a setup problem or if its just the way rf2 is at the moment.

Endurace Pack GTE Car
    Road Atlanta
    Triple screens

If i turn all reflections/shadows=off. Max visible cars 15. 19 AI on a track. Graphics settings on low for track, medium for cars and medium texture. Aliasing Level 2. No effects.

Running at twilight (around 6:30PM or so) with a 15x time multiplier, I can't keep anything above 60fps in most spots. Middle of the day, no problem (~120FPS). I'm pretty much out of things to turn down. Seems like night and twilight are really hurting performance and I have a strong PC.

PC is i7-7700K overclocked to 5GHz and 1080GTX.

Thoughts?

2. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Hello.

Normal: yes, unfortunately.

The main performance issues of RF2 are according to my many tests:

- AI (the biggest performance problem).
    - Rain (not VR ALSO !!)
    - Night / sunrise / sunset
    - Mirrors.

If you cumulate all this is horror.

But with a powerful GPU, you should get away with it.

Alex72 and ebeninca like this.
  3. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

Fair enough. Thanks for the reply. At least I won’t spend time chasing issues.

Hopefully further improvements on the way.

Alex72 likes this.
  4. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Having the time multiplier at 15x is an issue, as the transition to night can be too fast for your GPU to keep up

1x on my system with 30AI is fine for me, but cranking it up will cause a brief FPS drop. Not a race killer, but can be annoying mid corner.

I've got a much lesser system than you, (FX6300 and 1050ti) and ran 26 porsches from the Endurance Pack at Bathurst at sunset with no issue the other day.

Put it on 1x time acceleration and you should be fine with that rig. and you should be able to turn your settings back up.

Still unsure as to why my lesser system performs better than @DrivingFast though. Maybe the 6300 and 1050 work together that well.

5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

If I remember correctly, @DrivingFast has a gtx 760
    So no surprise his "horror" continues. :eek:

6. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

Hmm..didn't realize the 15x had an affect on performance. Will test. thanks.

Updated: Tested it out. Put tire wear, track wear and time scale to normal. It looks like I picked up a few FPS (maybe 3-5FPS), but still get stutter and frame rates in the 50's for at least half the track (Road Atlanta, S397 GTE Corvette C7R).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  7. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

But wait, i had a race in Road Atlanta last saturday, i had some performance issues (never had before), also half the field had issues (even a mate with a 1080ti), so i guess is a track problem. No i guess, i'm sure. During the dusk we had massive frame drops at the end of the esses, even with reflection/shadows off, framerate went back to normal in the night.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Jeremy Talbot likes this.
  8. Travis

Travis Registered

@tlsmikey

The suggested high end settings from S397 are as follows:

[​IMG]

rF2 is very resource heavy compared to its competition in the sim genre; a GTX 1080 *should* provide the required performance presuming you're not using VR or your resoultion is 4K. I use the above settings with post processing either on low or off (depends on the track) with a factory OC'd Asus GTX 1070 and hit 60fps @ 1080P in almost all conditions.

As people have stated, rF2 can run beautifully at one circuit (e.g. Silverstone) and horrible at another (e.g. Suzuka) with the exact same settings and cars.

mesfigas likes this.
  9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

My first thought was the 15x time scale. The sim, when the time is set so fast, is constantly moving enviroments, loading new images, and to keep up, it may have to delay other drawings or displays. (sorry for the sentence run-on.)

10. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

@Travis is that for triple screens? Seems much higher than where I’m at now.

11. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

That would have to be one monitor.
    I have a 1080 running triples 5760x1080, no way I would think of using those settings.

Alex72 likes this.
  12. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

@ADSTA can you post your settings? Just curious what trade offs you make.

13. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

If I had a gtx 760 I would not complain.

I have a gtx 780 :

Exact equivalent to gtx 1060 3GO. Almost equivalent to a gtx 970, very slightly higher than the gtx 1050 ti.

But some connoisseurs say that RF2 very poorly manages all cards below 10XX and 9XX, and the PCIe X16 2.0 is very poorly optimized unlike the games of recent years.

This is what i know.

14. Travis

Travis Registered

As stated, the suggested settings are for a single screen.

Triple screen use would require a lot of changes to make the frame rate acceptable.

15. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Registered

I've been in a couple online races at this track, with pretty big field each time. I've seen lots of complains for lower fps and/or more stuttering than on other tracks. That's unfortunate because it is a very nice track!

Alex72 and Jeremy Talbot like this.
  16. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Registered

Yep I'll add my voice to it being a poorly optimised track. It's a shame as it's an amazing track and it looks stunning.

My specs are the same as yours by the way, i7 7700k oc to 4.8 and a 1080. I had stutters leading into the esses and then again going into the last few corners at the end of the back straight.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

If I could give one piece of advice it's to check performance with official content and official content only, any time you use 3rd party content you run the risk of using unoptimized content and therefore you're not getting the "correct" results.

Also, as ever with RF2, different Car & Track Combos produce different performance results themselves, some cars may be heavy on the Poly count, same for tracks. What I do is find a "happy medium" between the heaviest and lightest demanding content and leave it at that, if you're forever chasing perfection in performance then you're losing a lot of time that you could've spent racing :)

18. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

OP has one of the most powerful GFX cards which money can buy and triple screens. The problem is that there is no "happy medium" when triple screens are used. You can only play rF2 with low settings and when weather is sunny no mater which hardware is used.

ebeninca likes this.
  19. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

Exactly. And although I use official content for the cars, the official track list is pretty limited. New Orleans and Atlanta Motorsports park aren't exactly top tier courses for me.

Thanks for all the help guys. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, but it looks like we just need a bit more optimization on tracks as well as the engine.

20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

just to be clear, we are not advocating ONLY driving official cars and tracks. But for Debugging, benchmarking and other system performance testing, then that is when we are suggesting the official cars and tracks. ONce you get a baseline on those, you can compare other tracks and realizie it's not your system so much as a 3rd party track that is more demanding than it may need to be.
    best of luck. keep at it.