AIW Confusion - Issue after Pace Car Pits during Formation

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by KillerAJD, Jan 11, 2017.

1. KillerAJD

KillerAJD Registered

Hey there,

I had done a tiny bit of work on learning to build rFactor tracks a few years ago, but never really stuck with it. I decided to try it again recently, since there seemed to be only a very small number of decent oval tracks for rFactor 2 that weren't just simple conversions. I stumbled my way through various tutorials and guides, and finally managed to get something going that was close to release worthy, but I'm having one hell of a time with the aiw setup.

Video Link

I'm having an issue when the pace car exits the track during the formation lap. Once the pace car hits the pit in xsector, it's teleported to its pit location, but the the front row of cars slam on their brakes, and the warning that you need to follow the safety car continues to show. I've tried nearly everything I could think of as far as changing values, I've recreated the aiw from scratch (multiple times), and looked online for as much help as I could find, but still, I'm at a loss here. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the way the pit lane loops around outside the track, but I would very much like to keep this outside pitlane, as it is similar to how the real track is laid out.

The video link shows a few different tries at a race start. The first two are with everything (aiw, grid position, etc.) the same except I turned on some of the aiw stuff (like the waypoints and such) in the second attempt. The third example is when I moved both aux locations for the pace car to be behind the start finish line. This got the pace car to exit a lap earlier, but I still have the stoppage issue. Skipping the formation lap works fine, but when a yellow is thrown and the pace car comes back out, I have the issue again.

Is there any resource other than the official(?) wiki documentation on aiw creation? Or does anybody know where I'm going wrong here? This forum looks like it was changed over recently when Studio 397 took over development, so there's a bunch of previous threads I've found through google that lead nowhere now. Any and all help is extremely appreciated, especially as I mainly made this for my dad and brother, as I'd love to make a few more tracks for some LAN play, but I'd love to have the AI still present and flags enabled too.

I've uploaded the contents of the latest aiw file I made. It was one I was tweaking, so some stuff might not be set up completely correctly, and I didn't redo the fast/left/right lines or anything, but I figure it should at least be giving me a different behavior than this. If there is something blatantly wrong in there that would be causing this, I'm all ears. Maybe its a different issue in the gdb file or scn file? I honestly don't know where to go from here.

Attached Files:

hexagramme likes this.
  2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Try to have a look at the MAIN and PIT corridors near the pit entry. My guess is that they overlap each other quite a bit?

KillerAJD likes this.
  3. Bernd

Bernd Registered

KillerAJD and hexagramme like this.
  4. KillerAJD

KillerAJD Registered

Awesome, I really appreciate the help and info guys. I'll look into this when I get a chance, it definitely sounds like it's at least in the right direction, if not the answer.

hexagramme likes this.
  5. machine

machine Registered

Did this one ever get fixed? My guess is the pace car does not go through sector 2 before hitting the xpitin timing gate.

xpitin must be AFTER xsector2 timing. xpitout must be BEFORE xsector1
    Think outside the box here. Xsectors can contain more than 2 faces, which don't need to be congruent (I think that's the word)

KillerAJD likes this.
  6. machine

machine Registered

After thought, the only way this could work on your track is...
    sector1 & sector2 close together, and need to be passed through before the pace car hits xpitin.
    So both sector1 & sector2 in turns 1&2

KillerAJD likes this.
  7. KillerAJD

KillerAJD Registered

Hmm, alright. I never did find a fix, and pretty much stopped all work on it awhile ago. I'll have to mess around with it a bit. Here's a view of where I have them placed. It's been so long, I'm not sure why I put them there (I think I was just following what somebody else did? Not sure).

[​IMG]

8. KillerAJD

KillerAJD Registered

Well, looking back into my stuff, I do think I found some errors, however, fixing them didn't fix the issue I was having (I had the reactors for the xsectors set to (vehicle, pitstop), and the xpitin/out/finish set to (vehicle,pitsop), which is mispelled). Unless I am misunderstanding you, I think what I have set up in the below image is what you are saying I should do? (turn 1 and turn 2 both have an xsector1 and xsector2 each; there is nothing in turn 3 and 4) If so, it still does not function correctly, although, I think the turn 2 xsector1/2 are past the first pit entrance waypoint, maybe that's why?

I think I just must be misunderstanding some fundamental thing with the xsectors and xpitin/outs.

[​IMG]

9. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I would say that the problem definately is caused by overlapping corridors of the main- and pit-pathes, behind of the pitin and pitout objects.
    There is no pitwall that separates the corridors of these both pathes, if there is no wall and if you create the aiw under that condidtion, you exactly get that problem, because the game detects the into the pits coming safety car as still on the track and not in the pitlane.
    I can only repeat myself from my post above.
    Download the tutorial from redapg's online tools site, read it and setup the things, following the instructions.
    The easiest way, that i would use is, to create a temporary pitwall that has to be linked in the scn file, create a new aiw then, because you have to run the 'find corridors' tool with the wall and remove the wall, if the aiw is done, to test if it works without the wall properly, too.
    That will solve your problem, if you do it right.
    As a hint, you can check the corridors, after the 'find corridors' tool has finsihed it's work, by making them visible in the hide/unhide menu.
    If there are still overlapping areas of the white and red lines, you have made something wrong.

10. machine

machine Registered

Yes, sector positioning should work like that. You could also put sector 2 in it's regular spot, but have a second sector 2 about 1 foot before entering the pits sector. (make 2 planes in one GMT) See Martinsville and Bristol in Steam, thats what I did on them to get pits to work right.
    Not sure about the corridors, shortening them in dev mode would fix that also.

You may hit another problem once you get that working. That of it going green as soon as pace car starts to head off track. This happens if someone lags behind, and drives through finish line when pace car has started to exit.