Fps issues

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by A_ekis, Aug 4, 2017.

1. A_ekis

A_ekis Registered

From one day to another it is impossible for me to play, I have stayed with 4 or 5fps and it is impossible.
    I have not changed anything, and before everything went well with about 60fps constant.

I deleted and reinstalled the game but everything remains the same.

I have put everything to the minimum and nothing, to the maximum and the same thing happens to me.

Any idea what happened?

The rest of games are perfect, I only happened in rfactor2

P.d:
    Forgive my English, I use a translator.

2. Patrick Craenmehr

Patrick Craenmehr Registered

Can you check the GPU setting in the 'Video Settings' via the rF2 launcher? Maybe it is set to an iGPU (if you have one) instead of your dedicated GPU?

3. A_ekis

A_ekis Registered

I have checked the settings in the graphics menu in launcher of rfactor 2 and I have the external graphics (radeon r9 200x I think it is)

Also create a profile to the game in the Ati application with everything to a minimum and still not working

I do not find anything strange in the configuration and it still does not work, and as I said in my post, it happened without touching anything from one day to another it did not work.

The processor is an 8-core fx, I think it has no built-in graphics.

There is some way to erase all the data of the game, to leave no trace of anything configurations.
    So you can do a 100% clean installation?

Thank you for answering.

4. patrickkluiters

patrickkluiters Registered

I had the same with my R9 fury and this was the solution. GPU was set to auto and terrible graphics.

5. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I would start with a local file check for rF2 with Steam and deleting the player.json (make a backup before deleting).
    But tbh, i noticed since the latest update a hugh FPS drop while using the wingman cam. Partially from above 100 FPS down below 50 FPS. With all the same settings as before, using same Track and Mod.

6. A_ekis

A_ekis Registered

I can only choose auto if I subscribe to beta versions.

I have removed all the betas, and I can not choose auto, I get well chosen radeon r9200.

But nothing, it is unplayable, it does not exceed 5fps

7. A_ekis

A_ekis Registered

I have deleted all the. Json files that I have found inside the rfactor folder, I have checked game integrity from steam and nothing.
    Everything remains the same, I can not get more than 5fps.

Once you load the circuit in the box menu before going on track, the game is already very lentic, it takes about 2 seconds the buttons to respond to a mouse click.

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

with other ISI based sims, the framerate would fail like yours when a car with a bad file was loaded. Have you recently added any 3rd partyi cars? you may want to use the launcher to disable as many as possible to see if that helps. For all fps testing, until you find a solution, you should use S397 default cars and dx11 tracks provided by S397. Nola, Atlanta MP, Silverstone GT.
    Good luck.

9. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Just in case...some new plugins installed?

10. A_ekis

A_ekis Registered

That I remember nothing.
    I had works at home, I was without turning the pc a month, and when I turned it on rfactor2 was not going (the rest of games perfect)

Is there any way to erase absolutely everything and start from scratch?

I have deleted and reinstalled from steam 3 times and everything remains the same.

11. A_ekis

A_ekis Registered

I think I only have official content, as much I would get something from indianapolis, but I do not remember, it still worked well until everything suddenly stopped.

I want to delete everything and start from scratch, but I do not know how to do it, reinstalling since steam does not work.

12. A_ekis

A_ekis Registered

I'm with the base version, but I think it's already updated to dx11

I just removed all the subscriptions, and I'm reinstalling, now I have to go, when I come back I tell you if it worked

Anyway my hardware is:

win 7 ultimate 64bits
    amd fx 8320 8 core 3.5ghz
    ram 8gb
    Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X OC 4 GB

The wheel is t500.

13. Patrick Craenmehr

I did some testing on Silverstone International, against 19 AI, using the new McLaren. I have a GTX 1070 and Core i7 7700hq. I have almost all settings on High, resolution 3440x1440 using cockpit view. When I set the Shadow setting to Medium or High, I only get around 45FPS at the start. When I set shadows to low, I have 60FPS (I use adaptive sync). I tested with a few other cars. The Radical has about 55 FPS at the start. The USF2000/Nissan GT500/Formula 2 all reach 60FPS.

During the race, as the field spreads out a bit, I get 60 FPS as well with the McLaren and Shadow setting to medium or high. But these FPS drop below 60, when there are more cars visible in front nearby.

So it seems the new McLaren is a bit of an 'FPS killer' (at least on my system) using any Shadow setting higher than low.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  14. stonec

stonec Registered

Download GPU-Z and check the that the PCie speed is at x16 3.0 (should look like this).

15. Patrick Craenmehr

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  16. A_ekis

A_ekis Registered

Solved, I have gone to system configuration and in the graph I have restored the drivers to a previous one and everything perfect.

Amd shit and his controllers ...

Thanks everyone for your help

17. Patrick Craenmehr

That's good news. A bit strange though, since other games were playing perfect, so I would not have expected this to be a driver issue. :)

18. stonec

stonec Registered

That would be the case normally in games, but not in rF2. In rF2, everything lower than PCIe 3.0 @ x16 has notable performance loss on GPUs like GTX 970 and above. See this and this post.

19. Patrick Craenmehr

I did some more testing and enabled monitoring of GPU BUS usage in MSI Afterburner. With Shadows on medium the max percentage was 58% during the first lap and on low it reached 47%. I am not an expert in this, but a percentage of 58% does not seem to be the cause of the FPS difference between both settings? I would assume that the percentage then should be much higher, close to 100%?

20. stonec

stonec Registered

Yeah that's what I thought as well. What I found out, however, was that when I had PCIe set at 2.0 X8, PCIe usage never exceeded much above 60%, but I was hugely PCIe limited, as much as 40% reduced FPS compared to x16 in race starts. Now this was on PCIe 2.0, but my GPU is also over twice weaker than a GTX 1070.

There is a simple test to see if the bus limits you. Note FPS during first lap, then overclock your GPU with afterburner. With say, a 5% overclock, FPS should be close to 5% higher. If it's more like 0-1%, then bus is limiting you. In any case, GTX 1070 on PCIe X8 is always going to be a problem until the excessive bus usage with rF2 is fixed.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017