Creators Update Crashes RF2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Robert Fruth, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Robert Fruth

Robert Fruth Registered

HI all,

So before I downloaded and installed the new Creators update, RF2 ran great. Now that I have the update the game crashes. The launcher pulls up fine, but once I click on SP or MP the game crashes. I get no specific details, just says windows can't find a solution to the problem close program. Anyone else run into this? If so I hope a fix is possible.

Thanks

Robert

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  2. AlanK

AlanK Registered

RF2 still works OK for me after the Creators update, so I doubt it's an RF2 issue.

3. Rastas

Rastas Registered

No problem here to.

4. Will Boston

Will Boston Registered

Try validating your files, as I also have no issues here

Jejking likes this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Robert Fruth try removing all third party plugins and see if it's better; hopefully you can narrow down a culprit and let the author know.

6. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Works fine here afterwards so far.

7. Robert Fruth

Robert Fruth Registered

How would I go about doing that? Would you guys also know how I can verifiy if everything is insallted correctly? I remeber the old launcher had a button to check the install, but I can't seem to find one for the current launcher. I believe everything is in place though as I never changed folder locations before or after the update.

Also I've tried disableing game mode, DVR recording etc, still no luck. I just get an immiediate crash. I also have the latest nvida driver that was supposed to be compatible with the Creators update. Looks like I might be headed for a re-install??

Thanks everyone for the help.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Robert Fruth In the steam library, right-click on rFactor 2, Properties, go to the 'LOCAL FILES' tab and use the 'verify integrity of game files'.

If you're using any plugins you'd probably know... trackmap, delta best, etc. You'd have .dll files in your rF2\Bin32 and rF2\Bin64 folders for them, if you move them to another folder it'll stop them running at all.

Jejking likes this.
  9. Robert Fruth

Robert Fruth Registered

Well I tried all the solutions you guys suggested but no luck on my end, I still just get an immediate crash when trying to launch. Thanks @Lazza for the help verifying the install, it did find a few files I was missing but I still get the crash.

Creators has also bonked up my power / screen saver settings, and my monitor no longer auto powers off, also I've got some performance issues here and there so I'm just going to revert Windows back.

Edit: After a quick rollback to the previous Windows version RF2 fired right up and without issue.

Thanks all!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  10. AlanK

AlanK Registered

My PC was very slow for about a day after the update. I looked at activity in Task manager at the time and have a suspicion the update forced a complete re-indexing of my hard drive. It seems to have gone back up to normal speed now.
    As per most Win 10 updates it trashed my G27 wheel, but I've got used to re-installing that!

Robert Fruth likes this.
  11. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

I know it sounds a bit "boring" but every big update I am used to perform a clean install of the OS...

12. Peter Neuendorf

Peter Neuendorf Registered

I had the same problem as Robert. After uninstalling rivatuner and msi afterburner, rfactor starts again without problems. Perhaps it will help you.

muz_j likes this.
  13. ceecee

ceecee Registered

We have found an incompatibility with rF2 and the Skype App in W10 CU (both Skype Preview and new updated Skype App).
    This stops you from accessing the rF2 menus, when clicking on a menu the game minimizes to the task bar.
    This has been solved by going back to the Skype Desktop program.
    Try run Store for updates in W10.

14. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

Similar issue. rF2 runs for a while, then locks up
    None of the suggestions here work so far. Will keep investigating

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I was gonna ask: What the Heck is this Creator's update? Then It arrived this morning. Over an hour of installing AFTER being downloaded in advance. I left for work and it still wasn't done. Well now I know what this is. So far, the biggest change, is to my web based windows email. I'm off to try rf2 to see if I also suffer some of the crashes listed above.

Well, I got to the point of choosing a car and then rf2 crashed. Then windows crashed and Ihad to reboot. tried again and once again ctd.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  16. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

Welcome to my world. I suspect a problem with SSD drives, as rF2 is installed on a seperate one for me and had similar problems with last big update. More investigation due tonight (as if I have the time to do unpaid bug fixing for MS!)

17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Here is the error message I'm getting when I try and join a multiplayer session:
    CONFIG ERROR [JSON] failed to perform operation, unsupported type

18. stonec

stonec Registered

Delete the player, multiplayer and controller JSON files (first back them up) and the game should re-generate them at the next launch.

davehenrie likes this.
  19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Thanks, that got me back to the track, but now my wheel is not working correctly. the buttons are recognized, but not the wheel/brake/throttle axis assignments. Windows10 controller app sees the Logitech G25 and lets me calibrate it. But the Logitech controller is not reporting any wheel or pedal movement. So when I get back to rF2, none of those can be assigned.

20. Ernie

Ernie Registered

First step would be to reinstall the Logitech driver. Maybe it fixes your problem.
    I had to reinstall my Fanatec drivers after Creator update as well, because of some initializing problems. Removing and reinstalling the driver fixed that problem. Maybe a similar issue with Logitech wheels.