Settings Logitech G25

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by colinL, Jul 6, 2016.

1. colinL

colinL Registered

Hello guys,

after looking into several guides on how to set up the G25 for rF2 I just can't seem to find a good setting.. I'm quite fine with my overall setting but when I'm going racespeed with the car, initially the first ~5° of steering are extremely sloppy. There is like zero resistance, and I don't have that in any other game.. Anyone with a G25/27 can give me their settings?
    My Settings in the Logitech Profiler:

Intensity of all effects: 105%
    Springeffect: 30%
    Dampereffect: 0%
    Centering Spring is not activated and 0%
    Turning radius is 900%
    and game specific changes are allowed

Any advice, please? :D

2. David Turnbull

David Turnbull Registered

i use.....

100 - overall
    0 - spring
    0 - damper
    35 - centre spring

ingame i use, 0.65-1.40 multi depending on mod
    i use smoothing between 8-12 depending on track and mod
    i think my stm is at 12-13%

works very well for me :)

3. colinL

colinL Registered

Okay I'll try them out the next time I play. Do you also really feel if the car is oversteering and spinning out? I don't feel anything at all when it spins out.

EDIT: Okay feels better than before :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2016
  4. Ivan Baldo

Ivan Baldo Registered

All at defaults in the Logitech Profiler except 900º of rotation.
    Also, try STM at 17%.
    Don't use Logitech Profiler profiles because it has some trouble matching profiles to simulators some times, just use a global default and not add any profile or it can get confused.

5. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

This was stated by Christopher a while ago. It would be good to hear about it. Is it in the pipeline? A couple of pictures for each of the supported wheels doesn't seem to be a huge time consuming issue.

I also suggested a procedure to determine how accurately a wheel delivers FFB. ABSOLUTELY no feedback about it yet. So I guess no real interest despite the many threads talking about FFB. I am not sure if actually someone read it...

Let's keep the mistery of FFB grow!

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

6. colinL

colinL Registered

I don't really get what you want to say?:confused:

7. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

It is clear. There is no official thread to help people adjust FFB. Each wheel has a default controller.json but it is not specified which profiler setting has been used when defining it.

IMO G27 default profiler setting sucks and does not deliver the torque output that the racing sim sends to it. I seriously doubt that it was being used when defining the controller.json for G27.

However, for some reason ISI has avoided providing this tips for over 8 years. Rfactor without a good FFB config is undriveable for me and many others. I usually wonder if they really care about user experience.

In rF1, if it wasn't for Zeos Pantera's FFB thread I might have abandoned the game. Native FFB was awful. Leo's FFB and Realfeel plugins were mandatory to have a proper FFB. iSI never really cared about it since, like always, it was being handled by third party. It is astonishing how this responsibility is passed to others!

In rF2 it is much better but it greatly depends on the profiler setting being used. I keep using the profiler setting that was recommended by Zeos Pantera and I am fine with it. However, I can't understand why ISI does not care about these things. i should be following their advice and not from someone who has not programmed the game.

Finally, the procedure I describe in the link is simply to analyse if the FFB the a wheel delivers matches the input being sent to the wheel. It should help defining the profiler settings.

8. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

No profile settings will make a plastic G27 do 20Nm of torque, maybe you can just accept that for fact?

9. colinL

colinL Registered

Ah alright

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Someone says they don't understand your post, and you start by saying it's clear. Perhaps not. Anyway, none of the rF2 controller profiles modify the FFB 'shape' in any way, so it makes no difference what controller profile was used. It's just assigning the buttons and axes to the various controls, and then suitable smoothing levels.

ISI doesn't care and doesn't want to help, etc etc, ok, whatever.

The person making this thread is asking! Give them a link to the Zeos thread! Do the calibration test with your G27 and share your settings!

I can appreciate your sarcastic wit here, but you know this will just continue the 'discussion'...

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

And sorry, back on topic, agree with the earlier answers for the G27. I prefer the overall strength on 100% (not over), use a small percentage of centering spring (10% or so, higher if you're used to having such a force - personal preference), minimum ffb / stm on 6-8%. I found the centre had more feel like that, even if it's a bit fake because it's not actually from FFB.

12. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

That's simply false. Changing Logitech profiler values do affect and a lot FFB output. A controller.json without a profiler is incomplete.

And BTW, the profiles I refer to are not part of rF2 but of the wheel software. So your statement is out of question.

13. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I did see mention of the T500 wheels, or similar, that a certain FFB strength in the driver altered the torque curve, ie it became less or more linear. Is that what you are trying to find out by 'measuring how accurate' the ffb is?

I'm starting to think the only one who 'clearly' understands the discussion here is Euskotracks himself..
    What's the entire point of comparing the output of the sim to a wheel which could never replicate it 1:1 in the first place? It's always going to be off, by mechanical limitations. There are loads of examples, entire threads, on FFB settings, so what is the point?

14. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

The point is trying to replicate the real car FFB. I thought this was a racing simulator. I guess FFB is another parameter in simulation.

What kind of FFB do you like?
    Would you drive with a steering wheel that only provided a spring force to center it?

15. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

As I said, to replicate the real car FFB, you need to be able to use the same level of torque on the hardware. Whenever this isn't possible, you're moving away from 1:1. Everything else is not as real as I think you want it.

FFB with inferior hardware will always be a compromise, why do you think canned effects are introduced in the first place?

The FFB I like is where I can feel all that the car is doing, within the limits of the hardware, so no clipping. With a g27, you are more limited than let say a Fanatec CSW, but both can be setup to tell you what the car is doing. However, they will and can not be as close to 1:1 as I think you want it to be. But again, that does not make it wrong. Even more so, I think you are overcomplicating matters and asking for things which can not be possible and making it more difficult for the OP to grasp.

So yes, FFB is just a parameter consisting of the ingredients you know, with the limiting factor being the hardware you send it to. Unless you have a very powerful wheel which can handle all the torque you can throw at it, you make it do exactly whatever the virtual car does in the simulation*. However, I'm repeating myself here, it doesn't mean any lower end wheel does it wrong, it only does what it can do. You can try get it to do it right and output the real forces, but you'll end up clipping just by going straight ahead because of self alligning torque alone.

And no, I won't drive a wheel with only a center spring, I also don't drive a g27, I'm not even happy with my CSW. However, sometimes you don't have the luxury of choice and you have to make due with what you have. Then you set it up to it's best ability within it's limitations, if you don't accept the limitions or don't think they apply and are holding the software responsible, I think you are very wrong in your ideas. Or, which is another possibility, I'm simply not getting what you mean with your question and what you are after.

*Only to a certain point. In this case it is possible to overshoot that point and move away from real forces again. I recently saw a video where a professional race driver helped dial in someone's OSW. The guy thought it was good, turned out, he had the settings too high, the wheel turned out to deliver more torque than the car in the sim should be doing.

Trick question. rF2 doesn't model powersteering if I'm correct. So, do you drive cars in rF2 which should have powersteering in real life racing?

Sorry to move away a bit from your actual question... So you have improved the feeling already. But if you're not feeling anything when it spins out, that's tough. Maybe you can try to boost the midrange forces by increasing the steering torque sensitivity. Normally it's at 1.0 which scales the forces linearly (note: your wheel probably doesn't deliver it's torque in a 100% linear fashion). If you change the value to let's say 1.5 you should start to really feel something. Do take in mind you might lose a bit of dynamic range.
    Good way of testing I think is when you are doing trailbraking, when the rear starts to rotate, you should feel this pull on your wheel. This pulling is what you'll want to be feeling when the rear starts to go so you can take action to correct for it, or use it to get the car to turn in. Please try and report your findings :)

Just another thing, which people seemingly hate to read, have you tried increasing the caster in setup? How did that work out? Another funny detail. In the same video I mentioned earlier, the driver stated with the car he drives in real life they sometimes adjust caster to improve steering wheel feel, how about that!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2016
  16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I swear by caster adjustments to home in on the feel I like. Works like a charm in this sim, and it has a big effect on ffb. I also remember reading about real life drivers who do that to improve steering feel, so there's nothing odd about doing it in this sim too.

17. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I know my G27 is weak in terms of max torque. I know I will need to scale down force and probably have to use some sensitivity to increase low end forces. But doing that is very acceptable since it doesn't affect to torque small variations that occur when wheels lose grip. It is scaling down FFB with a variable scale. I dont want any other canned effect.

is it clear now my goal?

18. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That is quite clear indeed, and not hard to achieve with rF2 at all :)

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm just going to try this one more time. I'll try and use words that aren't easily confused with each other and let's see if that helps.

I'm saying the various controller.json files don't change the shape of the FFB output. Therefore this:

is completely irrelevant.

Yes, the controller profile settings (or windows controller settings, largely the same concept) obviously make a difference to the FFB. My point is all those rF2 controller.json files don't change the way the game's FFB is sent to the wheel, apart from overall direction and filtering/smoothing. If you go and compare all those files (the ones for wheels, at least) you'll see that 99% of the differences are which buttons and axes do what (pit speed limiter, throttle, hud mode, etc). You can load a different profile and you have to use different buttons, but the FFB (apart from smoothing, and potentially the direction) won't change at all.

It therefore makes no difference what controller profile settings were in place when ISI 'tuned' the controller.json files; in fact, as far as FFB is concerned, there is basically no tuning that has happened. As far as the controller.json files are concerned, your wheel will get the FFB output ranging from 0 to Max in a linear fashion. Very few (if any) wheels will reproduce those values in a linear fashion, and that's where you might want to change the controller profiles settings, other rF2 settings (STS, STM, ...), to try and achieve a particular goal.

For a strong wheel you might want to try and make the output as linear as possible, a weaker wheel you might want to increase the lower forces so the wheel doesn't feel dead but without creating any/excessive clipping, a wheel with an inherent centre deadzone you might want to use STM to keep some resistance around centre, etc. The controller.json file won't help you do any of that.

It might be good if ISI compiled a list of recommended settings to best feel what the game is outputting, but it's totally separate to the controller.json files and there's no reason to ask ISI to share the controller profiler settings that were in use when they made the controller.json files.

I hope that makes what I'm saying clear.

20. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Thanks for taking the time explaining. I understand what you mean now. There is no fundamental difference between the supported wheels default controller.json. Only the key assignment.

OK. As you say, there might be no differences between controllers but for sure there are many parameters affecting FFB.

This arises several questions:
    How were those values selected? I guess testing...

With what wheel?
    By how many people?
    With how many cars?
    Which criteria was being used?

And for sure which was the wheel profiler being used to do it?

I am amazed that they could provide a UNIQUE controller.json (in fundamental things or FFB shape as Lazza describes) where there are several parameters affecting FFB.

I am more amazed on the fact that, considering the above, they do not provide a recommendation about the wheel settings to be used. It makes me think that the FFB controller.json default parameters definition was not done as it should.

I have just checked in the official forum of AC and Pcars and voilà, there are sticky threads recommending settings for the different supported wheels.

I guess that what I am asking for is not so strange... Will we ever have an OFFICIAL FFB sticky thread with recommended settings for different wheels? Open poster should be ISI staff to properly edit first post.