Not being able to lock tires in most cars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wili, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Wili

Wili Registered

Even with brake pedal set to 100% and pressing brake pedal to the end most of the cars doesn't seem to lock tires, the only car it seems to lock tires I tested is the Formula 2 Car.
    That's not normal, every car should be able to lock tyres in my opinion and this gives a poor braking experience.
    Am I missing something?

Thank you!

2. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

That's strange. For me it works with all cars. I guess you have already disabled abs.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9301I mit Tapatalk

3. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

make sure that your brake pedal MAX values coresponds with the actual MAX position of your pedal in Control settings. Simply press the pedal all the way down and press the button MAX next to the brake pedal overlay.
    Formula 2s lock VERY easily

4. Wili

Wili Registered

Yep, all the aids are disabled, I pressed the MAX option as well with no luck.
    For example Howston Dissenter doesn't lock tyres until the very end, if I press brake suddenly and completely the car should lock tyres immediately.

5. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

how do you know it "should" lock instantly? Dissenter is an SC OVAL car, they have very **** brakes

6. Wili

Wili Registered

It happens in almost all cars, I just tested Corvette C6.R GT2 car, brake pedal set to 100% with the same result.

I have no problems locking tyres in any car in Assetto Corsa.

7. SauberC9

SauberC9 Banned

Double check your driving aids again, just to be sure. It is not a normal behavior.

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Just FYI, real race cars do not lock the brakes at high/higher speeds. As you slow down, you can use threshold braking to prevent lock-ups, but at full bore, you can usually slam the brakes as hard as you can physically for at least the first second or more. Using AC as the reference point is also not a good idea. It's a great title, but not in terms of realism compared to rF2.

9. SauberC9

SauberC9 Banned

It is useful to do a quick, heavy slam, followed by gradual braking. AC can't be compared not for lack of realism, but because there is no parameter for you to adjust pressure. So most cars do lock up, and easily.

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Real cars don't lock at high speed unless you have the brake balance set incorrectly. In most cars you start with 100% pressure then gradually reduce it for proper technique.

If you aren't getting locking wheels AT ALL, then something is wrong, either you are not getting 100% of brake pressure from your controllers, or have a driver aid on.

11. Wili

Wili Registered

I'm getting locking wheels but I don't know I have the sensation that there's something preventing the wheels from locking, I think it takes too long in order to the wheels to lock up. In other sims wheels lock up much easier, in Rfactor is hard to lock tyres even on purpose.

12. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Well i disagree with that, in fact for example formula 2 has so powerful brakes its maybe even too easy to lock. Usually the tin tops cant lock in high speeds because they are too heavy, but the extreme race cars all lock up rather easily

13. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Like you've already been told, yes. Whether you choose to believe it or not is up to you. :)

14. Wili

Wili Registered

I made a quick comparison video at 110 km/h, not that fast, maybe it's not the best comparison video but anyway:

https://youtu.be/8WLh_HOLNHU

Obviously there's a huge difference, I really like much more the overall historic cars physics of Rfactor but when it comes to braking I like more in Assetto, I'm no expert at all, it just appear to be more credible to me.

15. 88mphTim

That looks normal to me... Is the brake balance the same? These are also AWFUL brakes, so it's less likely to be able to lock if the car weight is distributed evenly.

16. Wili

Wili Registered

Eve F1 Brake bias is 57 in the video, Lotus Brake bias is 62, I just tested Eve F1 with 62 Brake bias but the result is almost the same, Eve F1 locked tyres at the very end, Lotus locked wheels as soon as I pressed brakes completely.

17. 88mphTim

Then either one car is lighter than the other, has a differing amount of grip in the tires, or from the track surface. Unless one sim has better or worse brakes. Both look pretty realistic to me, with those cars at least.

18. Emery

Emery Registered

Wait until you experience brake fade in the Cobra at Longford!

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Video is normal ( for rF2 ) and closer to realistic then a Lotus locking wheels as soon as you brake.

From 180mph in F1 Eve - BT20 panic stop you start to lock brakes around 120mph from my experience.
    Just before that is when you start easing off.

GPL modelled braking at around the same margin from real drivers experiences ( try GPL you will lock brakes around 100-120mph )

I more puzzled why you would suggest being able to lock your brakes at will in any car in AC is... ?

I not sure what you think, better ? more realistic ? more immersive ? more challenging ?

;)

20. stonec

stonec Registered

I can't comment much about historic cars, but with more recent higher downforce F1 cars, I know the way they are driven is exactly to slam the brakes at maximum force first, then progressively reduce brake pressure as you approach the corner. They really have to apply the brakes quick and hard at beginning, it's something that I heard an F1 driver mentioning during a broadcast last year.