progressing the 'Game' part of RF2 - championships

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rapala, Jul 7, 2015.

1. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Guys there is a troll about...

2. matf1

matf1 Registered

... and I'm the troll whisperer!

Excellent, do you find the same at all tracks including ISI's?

I'll assume you've not read some of the other threads where we have talked about the issues with AI at third party tracks?
    Gist of it being, you can fix it yourself, you can also tailor it to yourself.

You've used ghost laps before, well my AI is like that. A field of 40 drivers, driving just like me.
    -They don't ram me
    -They block only when I have a run, not when I'm 2 foot away on their bumper
    -I've changed a parameter so they will not move aside for me. Pass clean or risk losing the nose.
    -They are faster than me
    -I've increased their cornering performance and reduced braking ability for more human behaviour.
    -I've been able to race for 50 laps behind AI that was on average .1 quicker than me. If I lost the tow, I was done for.

Ok, so you're a bit lazy and can't be bothered doing that. Thats ok, but you cannot blame the AI.
    You can only blame the person who released the track in that state.

3. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

GP4 was fun at the time, but my god I'd hate to race it now. Last time I tried it, the AI wasn't something I'd want to race against too often, as much as I love Geoff Crammond's work.

4. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

Matf1, is there a guide somewhere on how I can get AI running the way you describe? If there isn't could you be persuaded to write one?

5. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

I guess you're referring to me? Well I gave pretty reasonable points for my opinion, just because it's not the same as the fanboys' here, doesn't make it any less valid. rFactor 2 is by far my sim of choice, but I have no fear of pointing out its shortcomings.

You don't need to like it, but calling me a troll is a bit rich. Perhaps you have a fear of rFactor 2 being improved by constructive criticism, but luckily this phobia hasn't taken place within myself.

6. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

I wouldn't call driving 400 laps a week lazy. And I'm not a modder, I'm a driver. Perhaps 3rd party tracks are the problem here, but it shouldn't take a player to code the AI waypoints for a whole afternoon or whatever other trickery is involved just to make the AI realise you're on their inside. Then the AI code is fundamentally flawed.

7. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Post a video of an ISI track where AI act like you are not there.

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

No, you didnĀ“t!

Far from that.

9. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

What version?

10. matf1

matf1 Registered

I'll see what I can do, no promises though!

I set up a scenario, I didn't call you lazy.

To paraphrase. If you are unable/unwilling to 'fix' it you cannot blame the AI.

The AI code could be improved, but flawed, no.

and just to clear up misconceptions for others reading this thread:

12 months ago I was a driver, not a modder.
    I became frustrated racing track after track with poor AI. Ok, so I'll just race online... Well not if I want to race what I want to race.
    Let's do SPA in GT ffs!

So I learnt how to. Now on this side of the fence, I shake my head at all the people too scared to 'have a go'
    I'm not a modder is essentially you saying. I CBF doing anything, so do it for me.
    The reason you don't know how to mod is that you never even tried to.

If you had, you'd realise that it won't take you a whole afternoon or any trickery to make the AI realise you are on the inside.
    Nobody instantly becomes a modder. You start playing with stuff, you learn little bits and pieces and it becomes as enjoyable to do as racing itself... Plus it's a hit with the Ladies!

@P.S.R
    Dunno where I got it(possibly getmod), but I tweaked the hell out of it :)

11. matf1

matf1 Registered

It's going to take a bit more time but here is an early draft if you want to try.
    *See new post in modding section

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015
  12. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

Matf1, that's awesome, I admire your dedication :) I'll have a play with that when I get home toinght.

13. rsr427

rsr427 Registered

I miss that for sure. Before the first high-quality mods came out, I loved racing this way and carefully spending each credit to narrow that gap with the best AI. I am disappointed that ISI hasn't been able to cobble something together using all their own content. Instead we have a hodge podge of tracks at 1.51 and 1.76 and 2.0. I would prefer a more complete experience.

This, my friend, is brilliant. Do I get the mega wings, the turbo, or the all-wheel drive? That would be awesome.

14. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I am sure that ahead of the Steam release, ISI will cook at least something for those of us who would like offline fun. I really don't care about a career, just a structured championship with points, and even better, the flexibility to select the tracks, cars, and points system!

[/dream]

15. Rapala

Rapala Registered

I guess not :(

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

*Cough* Log Analyzer *cough* ;)

Use the tools given to you by the community, and help the creators make them even better.

It isn't ISI's job to create those kinds of features. ;)

17. Rapala

Rapala Registered

yes Log analyser is great, but please explain to me a simple way of keeping AI drivers consistent across races? I know I can just add specific AI at the start of each race, but in a field of 20+, that gets old fast.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'd disagree with that, this is a racing simulator, Championships are a fundamental part of racing, ISI has let me* down in this regard. Whilst it's all well and good using 3rd party tools, this is something I fully believe ISI should've dealt with themselves...especially as rF1 had it.

*I say "me" purely because I speak for myself of course ;)

19. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

See videos at professionalsimracing.com and search Virtual Rides here in this forum.

20. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Waste of time as LA already has it and no way ISI would be able to match what LA does without very large opportunity cost.