What you liked about your favourite sims most

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DurgeDriven, Apr 27, 2015.

1. bwana

bwana Registered

Or WRC, preferred it to Richard Burns myself

2. matf1

matf1 Registered

89 - Indy500 - Mouse control, first ever experience of linear steering. 3 cars that were markedly different to look at and drive.
    89 - Stunt car racer - Oh that engine sound on the Amiga(pcs were crap for sound back then), moving suspension, so much fuel injection it breaths fire on throttle.
    90 - Toyota Celica GT Rally - Rain drops on the windscreen and working wipers
    92 - Microprose Grand Prix - This changed me from gamer to sim racer.
    93 - Bought a new Amiga 1200 and Grand Prix now plays silky smooth.
    93.1 - Go to a mates house and see Papy's Indycar Racer for the first time
    93.2 - Sell Amiga and purchase a DX2/66 for Indy.
    93.3 Indy - No aids, hi res(CDrom version), addon packs including all the tracks, seeing the tires fully functional from cockpit view. I remember thinking that it would not be possible to make it much better than what it is, being so truly advanced for it's time.
    The rest is fairly standard, Nascar, Indy2, GPL etc etc

I think this is why I get so excited for rF2, it feels like Indy1, like GPL. Not in the driving sense of course but rather at those times, I knew I was experiencing something special... defining!

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Hi mat :)

Indy500 got a few hits hehe ...it kicked off my PC upgrades really. p

There was a few other RC games I liked bwana but can't remember the names Rally Trophy, Master Rallye.......umm p

Another I liked was Castrol Honda Superbike Racing , along with all the PC bikes sims mentioned above.

Has anyone mentioned Live for Speed yet ?
    I don't know anyone agrees for me it had about the best visuals even the best feel and FF for 2003 and demo online :)

edit: one more was Rallisports Challenge, ran that online with a few guys 4 car races , had many laughs.

Another I left out was Nascar Heat online

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  4. bwana

bwana Registered

Mario kart a group of mates and tequila..

5. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

Here, here! I agree :) Back then I spent most of my time in LFS, never got so much fun out of pick-up racing from any sim. Also got me into doing my own skins, with the skin-sharing system and the external car-viewer, great stuff! Physics and ffb were top too. Shame the development has slowed down so much recently, it still has its fair shair of racers though.

I will add one which hasen't been mentioned yet (if I'm not mistaken):
    The awesome awesome awesome 1nsane. If it is regarded a sim is up to debate it sure had arcade game-modes, capture the flag for instance. But wow, how much fun they were, especially in multiplayer. I think I could still get some fun out of it in mp.
    I loved everything about it. The open-world feeling, vehicle dynamics, physics, damage model, and it was mod-able ... still waiting for a worthy successor! 1nsane 2 (released a few years back) got me excited for about a second, then I saw they but Nitro in it and well its nothing like the original (think its from a different developer as well) ...

6. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Richard burns rally - Gravel physics, Czech stages (disliked everyone memorizing stages)

rF1 - HistorX (disliked combo-bingeing)

GTR2 - Power & Glory

Race 07 - FWD cars (I had just bought my first fast FWD car and needed to stop getting tickets :p)

GSC - Nothing

iRacing - MP

rF2 - Depth of physics / no two laps the same ; Historic vehicles ; AI (dislike how convoluted AI racing can be to setup)

AC - Nothing

pCARS - Nothing

RRE - Nothing

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

" 3 out of 5 ain't bad " P.S.R. ;) hehe

We wish the lot to be exactly what " we wanted and needed ", but no matter how hard they try...........................

lool

8. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

IndyCar Racing II (1995)
    First 3D racing game I played, with a gamepad...
    I rented it from the library. I didn't know the series and tracks (I only watched F1 and dutch racing series at the time), but this got me into 'sim'-racing

F1 1998, I think it was called F1 Racing Simulator
    I bought my first wheel (non-ffb). Loved learning the real F1 tracks and having almost unlimited car setup options (although I didn't know what to do).

Official Formula One Racing
    Only thing I can remember is that I loved the freedom of driving through the pitlane by yourself (no auto-pilot in pitlane)

TOCA 2 Touring Cars (Codemasters)
    Probably still the best Codemasters game I ever played...
    I loved racing against the AI in championship mode. I remember the interaction with my dad, for weeks we tried to break each others Time Trial records.

2000-2003
    F1 2000 - F1 Challenge '99-'02 by EA (ISI)
    Much better sims, first time I downloaded mods (FIA GT 2002, WTCC). These were great. I remember downloading one car per evening (good old 4kb/s) and racing GT-cars before I had a change to download the sound-files, because I had exceeded my download limit. I raced using Stability assist and ABS at the time...I also like the racing school with the two/three-seater Arrows.

Sports Car GT (1999)
    Found it in a bargain shop for €5. Realized later it was from ISI. Loved career mode

Live for Speed
    Hitable/movable tire stacks! Great FFB (which I only realized two years later, when I bought my Logitech MOMO)

rFactor
    I played the demo a lot (one year ahead of first release I think?), when I noticed the similarities in folder/file structure to the EA F1-games, I found out it was the same developer: ISI
    I played championship-mode a lot, with various mods. Number one mod for me is GP1979 (with realfeel FFB). I was totally new to historic cars and tracks, and really had to learn driving these from scratch.
    Driving these cars/track in championships gave me the knowledge to talk to my dad about the old days, when he visited F1 races at Zandvoort. He was quite surprised I knew the tracks, teams and drivers names when watching old footage.
    Also great fictional tracks (Toban, Mills)

2012-2014
    Game Stock Car
    Combination of all the best aspects of rFactor, by the best modders (physics, realfeel FFB, cars, tracks, sounds, textures, balanced AI)
    Since I am a offline-championship type of simmer, this is what I was looking for. Also great unknown Brazilian tracks.
    I stopped playing it somewhere last year, since championship mode was ruined by a bug with the points-system, which is still not solved...

2013-present
    rFactor2
    I really struggled liking it for the first two/three years. Both for the lack of feel I had (unable to feel/counter oversteer with my black MOMO) and for the lack of a championship-mode.
    Game Stock Car had what I was missing in rFactor2, so I kept playing GSC until last year.
    I recently rediscovered rF2 (encouraged by the new tonemapper), when I learned to drive the Skip Barber and learned to apply a small amount of throttle to counter lift-off oversteer (which seemed non-logical for me). This was the key for me, I can now throw the car around, catch slides and stuff, really weird :)
    Since then I love rF2, even with my old MOMO. I especially love the karts, Lola T70 and the new Cobra. I like rF2 so much right now I don't even need a championship mode to enjoy it. Just driving/racing is satisfying enough.

9. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Actually, if I answered the question (i.e. FAVORITE sims) correctly, it would just be RBR, rF1, rF2. < 0.01% of my sim time spent on others... :D

10. peterchen

peterchen Registered

OK, what I liked most?:
    GP3 / GP4:
    Ingame telemetrie-gizmo!

Would be handy for rF2 too......