What is a ()*&#*(#%& sim racer, anyway ?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by P.S.R., Apr 3, 2015.

1. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Am I alone in feeling like sim racers are dying off? I thought that sim racing was about revelling in lifelong development of skills, knowledge and experience and the endless search for the perfect lap.

Is that still true?

Admittedly I'm in a mood today and I usually just laugh idiots off but geezus today I feel if I hear another person say how such and such car is undrivable, difficult != real, etc. I might just snap...

I can't help but fantasize about seceding from the so-called "sim racing" community and call myself something else and just let all the effin retards have the "sim racer" label because it doesn't appear to mean anything anymore anyway.

Sorry for rant. Thanks for listening. I'm a little calmer now already...

2. Eddy

Eddy Registered

For me it is yes

Nice. Keep calm and enjoy simracing like you do it [emoji6]

3. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

What is a ()*&#*(#%& sim racer, anyway ?!?!?!?!?

That guy at AC forum really got to you :)

If it will help you feeling better, I've saved your reply for a future quotation if needed on that topic, you've said it very well there, can't be more clearer.

4. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Thanks, Eddy. At least there are two left :p

5. tjc

tjc Registered

Ignore the world and be a sim racer and...

Enjoy it. :cool: :)

6. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Yes! :p Although there were more than one :p And yeah it does feel good that you saved that :D, especially after getting deluged with enough nonsense anyone could begin doubting themselves :p

7. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Silly as it sounds (that I haven't thought about it) that is great advice. I just need to unplug (from some places at least)...

8. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

sim racers are a dying breed indeed. Oh yeah, don't let the internet get to you is also very good advice.

Why would you hang out on any other sim racing forum than this one? jeez. :p Seriously though, this is one of the most mature sim racing forums I've ever seen.

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Sim racers are much the same as anyone else who takes what they do seriously. You could say the same qualities of challenging yourself in almost any form of gaming, the only real difference in sim racers or even professional COD players is how serious they are about it.

10. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

I know exactly the feeling OP.

But to each his own.

Im a purist. Sun flares and media promo have no effect on me.

We shud just be ourselves and let others be themselves.

11. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I know the feeling P.S.R. :)

tjc does indeed have the best advice. There are couple of places I've stayed away from (rather than let my head explode) and I feel so much better now.

Just sim and let simcade ;)

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You know the type right, join your room, more then likely say nothing ( to be fair on some occasions language barrier), probably don't load the setup you just sent them, drive onto track and commence to crash at every corner in the first sector and while you 1/2 way through explaining how to approach the lap in the given car ........ they just leave. lool

Then they go to a forum, complain about the undrinkable car.

hehehe

13. Panigale

Panigale Banned

14. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

In retrospect it is so bizarre and ridiculous it's almost funny. It was in the AC forum......in a thread titled "Game Stock Car"..... which is what got my attention because I was curious and someone in there said something to the effect that he found GSC demanding and rewarding which I found to be insightful so I quoted him and added something to the effect of greater challenge = greater reward and all hell broke loose :p

15. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Guilty as charged. Never thought about it that way but I can definitely see myself having a lot in common with any SKILLED gamer which makes sense to me now because there are some seriously skilled sim racers in here that also play other skilled-based "games" and I could definitely see myself playing some of those too if I had a few more lives :p

16. FatCity

FatCity Registered

What us " simracers " all aspire to

timely with a version of Donington out and about

17. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

:eek: I instantly thought of one of my favorite Kaemmer quotes:

“To me, that’s nonsense. How many people would play golf if it were a piece of cake to hit par? It would be mini-golf. OK, maybe a lot of people would play it, but they’d get bored pretty quickly, and they wouldn’t spend much time on it. How many people play a lot of mini-golf? Anything that is truly fun in a lasting way in life takes time to learn–playing the piano, playing baseball, sailing, you name it. People don’t devote themselves to simple things for long periods of time. Our software always seemed to be able to hold people’s interest for a long time, since it takes skill, and the exercise of that skill is a tremendous rush, just like the real thing.”

Source ==> Link

18. WiX

WiX Registered

Calling your fellow community members "retards" can never help the cause. Glad to hear you calmed down. ;-)

19. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Almost nobody wants to discuss actual racing, driving techniques, anything driving related anymore.
    It's just become one big superficial competition, where the winner is the title with the best lens flare and post processing filters.
    More and more devs seem to think that the way forward is simply "catching flies with honey", the easy way.
    It's a sad state of affairs imo, and an extremely damaging tendency in my view.

Sure, we have more choices than ever before. That's good.
    But when a lot of those choices are simply watered down, dumbed down, with an extreme emphasis on gfx rather than physics for example.. That's - bad.

rF2 gets slammed all around the web by these so-called "sim racers" who claim that it has "dated" graphics, and is therefore sub-par.
    People tend to just look at racing sims rather than... actually RACING them, feeling them.
    Judge a racing sim by looking at screenshots or videos... pfft, yeah, some racer you are. :rolleyes:

Call a sim "unrealistic" because you don't feel like a world champion after a few laps... maybe reconsider what you label yourself with.
    "Sim racer" indeed. Please.

Just my opinion. Not out to offend anyone.

20. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

When I first started to read this I thought it was more about the decline of people Sim racer. Not so much the decline of Quality Sim drivers.
    Visiting Sim race forums for years now and I have seen leagues that are struggling to get the patronage they were getting even two years ago. Many were rF1 league's, I had no real interest in other Sims that much being I drove only rF1 and was, still are involved in mod development.

As far as the quality of drivers today, there just drivers that used to do well in most other, So called Sims and run up the front all the time. rF1 fulls in the category. Physics wise.

It's a case of be careful what you wish for!
    rF2 has delivered on most peoples wish list and now it's to realistic that it's not! In their eyes anyway. To hard to win like they used to. rF1 you could lock up tyres all the time and still slow enough to take a corner. The tyres grip level would go off but not enough to slow you down. People would crash their cars and take off the front splitter or rear wing and still be as fast as they were before. This is considered "Realistic" WTF!
    Our physics guy's worked really hard to get the cars to suffer and slow down from abusive driving but with rF1 failed for the most part.
    rF2 is now what you all wishes for. Better tyre behavior, Lost of aerodynamic down force when a car is damaged. Real road, driving line rubbering up. You can't win with tyres that are torn apart and/or the body is damaged so it reduces down force.
    Apparently the fact that in real race cars you can't turn a corner and catch the apex after locking up and if you smash the car it becomes harder to drive fast doesn't apply to Sim racing. This makes the Sim cars undrivable, unrealistic.

rF2 is wasted on the young! AC, perhaps is as well.
    Like someone else has said, Sim racers need to have commitment and put the time in to be good at it. Many want to win races after five minutes and if they can't it's either the car or the sims fault, Not their own. Sims are becoming harder to achieve wins without that time and people are losing interest because of it. You see that all over the place with leagues and even here we see people saying the servers are empty all the time. And I think this is why.