What is RIGHT with ISI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DurgeDriven, Jan 16, 2015.

1. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Number 1 the racing. I have a league race in 8 hours time and already have nerves. Nothing else does that.
    Number 2 the ffb. Own everything else and none hold a candle to ISI
    Number 3 all the cars and tracks I'm able to try out every day. I know a lot are rips/ conversions and poor quality but I love finding gems. If nothing else released for rf2 from today I would still have masses of content to last me years.
    Number 4 all the other things sometimes forgotten like the little plugins and tools.

I could go on for ever. The 44 laps I ran on Thursday to take 1tenth of my lap time. The community. The way ISI just do there own thing.
    I have as many gripes too but that's for another day.

2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

This thread made for a nice change in vibe, huh? Good stuff.

I like how rF2's netcode allows me go side by side, wheel to wheel with human competitors
    I like that the guys at ISI are always aiming as high as they are, with a perfect balance of perfectionism and modesty. You won't get any "THE BEST MOST REALISTIC RACING EXPERIENCE EVER IN MY HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE" shoved down your throat.
    I like the magnificent force feedback feeling of front end grip when turning into a corner in the EVE F3.
    I like that historic Spa has realistic horses and cows, and little yellow flowers along the road. We do need to have RealFur implemented soon though, otherwise the sim might be doomed. ;)
    I like that the 3rd party content is "quality over quantity".
    I like the visual choices ISI have made. The visuals appeal to me, big time.
    I like the Mod Manager introduced in rF2. The old way of "managing" mods in rF1 didn't appeal to me at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
  3. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

For me its simply how dynamic everything is. That's it.

4. furiousgibbon

furiousgibbon Registered

What's right... The fact that when i look at the shortcuts to all the race sims on my PC, I almost always click the rF2 one.

The graphics. They're clean, crisp and very realistic, and (at last) the performance is great. No fad shaders or effects here, just pure sharp visuals. In overcast weather when the sun comes out and goes back behind clouds, I just think hell yes.

The feeling of connection to the car and the track. There's so little interpretation needed that I can be much more consistent and accurate than in any other sim. It just feels right. My brain never has to question what is happening. I never have to blame the sim for my error.

I wrote this game off a while back but it has got me back in a big way.

5. canastos

canastos Registered

I like posts like this :)

byyyyyyyyye

6. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I have a relative, who has been working for more than a year in an internet business whose sole product is writing fake customer posts for internet sites.
    Do you want his coordinates?

I personally doubt very strongly about a product whose reviews are to good.

I think that RF2 is a sufficiently strong offering by itself to stand criticism (of every kind, positive, constructive, even destructive, etc.).

I don't think it needs directed positive posts.

But I know you intended to help and be positive.

Cheers Durge.

7. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Positive things in no particular order.

1- Immersion
    2- Features avaliable
    3- Graphics improvement over time
    4- Complexity.
    5- Time of day
    6- Weather
    7- Real Road
    8- Swaps
    9- Rejoins
    10- Admin tools
    11- Real Road
    12- Formation laps
    13- Pit stops
    14- Recon laps
    15- Real Road
    16- Weather
    17- The "all time focused" thing. No time for errors.
    18- Weather
    19- Real Road

Did i said Real Road and weather?

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I like the flames that come out of the exhaust pipes.

9. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

I think Valter's covered it pretty well above! :p

As others have said, the big deals are the physics and the sense of immersion. Only this past week I've simulated a full BTCC weekend with the Civic on Silverstone National. I visit that track regularly and it looks and feels like you're really there. Driving the car felt superb and I had great battles with the AI. Heck, the AIs had great battles amongst themselves. Another example from a few months back, Corvette GT2s at Bahrain, 80 minute race so there'd have to be a pit stop. I started sixth, turned out I had good pace against the AI but it took me some time to get to the lead, firstly because the AIs are competent and don't give places away, secondly I couldn't force any passes too hard because making the front tyres last a full stint on that car is not easy - nor should it be.

I appreciate that there are bugs with the graphics (can I say that in this thread? lol) but in terms of the overall look I'm happy. Personally I find the graphics very immersive from the cockpit view when actually driving.

In general, I also happen to like ISI's way of doing things. That said, if I can just be allowed to say this - give us a modern LMP guys. Just one! Pleeaasse! ;)

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Yes to both.

11. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I'll add something to my previous post:

The way the AI sometimes screws up. They are battling hard but fair amongst themselves, hard but fair with the player, and occasionally just lose it for stupid reasons or being over-eager which gives them this human-like quality.

I found myself watching live qualifying from the box, fingers crossed for Webber to make P1 on the last possiple lap when he spins on a curb by accident (or from pressure). No one could tell that wasn't live on TV.

12. Matt A

Matt A Registered

YES, yes, yes and yes :)

I find myself watching replays in RF2 but no other sim, why? Because the vehicles and AI are SO dynamic. They actually race each other and make mistakes.

Those special moments when the aggression is set super high, resulting in AI pulling dangerous moves, watching them in the mirror only to observe them push it TO far and wreck/flip :) AMAZING moments lol

And the cars convey a real sense of weight, something which can be lacking in some sims. These are big hulking lumps of metal we are driving, and in RF2 that feeling is conveyed to me :) These are no toys.

13. Tony

Tony Registered

Familiarity in a good way - like an old girlfriend that wasn't necessarily the best looking bird, but always came up with the goods :p

Physics

Drying-line during a race

Well established multiplayer set-up

Did I mentioned sublime physics.. oh yes I did ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
  14. peterchen

peterchen Registered

LOL! FKn Yeah!
    And that´s one of the big reasons why graphics are so important! lol! (or should I say: "LOPL"?)

Other than that I simply agree with 98% of what was said in this thread already.

15. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

All my stuff is covered in the above posts. Great work.

But I have a question:
    Who wrote the OP and what have you done with the real Durge Driven?

16. johnsclander

johnsclander Registered

I actually feel like racing, not only the others (mates or AI) but my own car...managing tires, brakes, motor...taking care of weather, wind, night...thw whole experience (minus being in a real cockpit, of course).

I like AC, and i like it a lot, but for me it feels "playing".

17. TJones

TJones Registered

I like their approach. With ISI i get the impression, they want to develop the most realistic racingsim at very first.
    Rather than the most succesful in a comercial point of view.

The Community.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

hehe

I tell you what David the people that are noticeably absent are the ones that bag it more.

Have they nothing nice to say. ? Not a single thing ?

19. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

In addition, another stuff which is really right is the low-speed physics (only SIM that do this in a believable way) and gearbox model.

Just closed Assetto Corsa, it's so ridiculous how you can kill the car speed by down shifting, the engine-brake has magical power. Bad.

20. matf1

matf1 Registered

I've thought long and hard about this and ultimately... I have to compare.
    I think what does rF2 bring that is unique, not what is better, of course that will always be subjective.
    I'll also compare with the limited track experience I've had and my day to day driving.

It is because of rF2 that I notice all the little things like road camber, dirty tarmac and of course other traffic. Observing everything peripherally, being aware.
    These things are not unique to rF2.

Realroad, rain, Superb AI, pit stops and the list goes on. These things are unique, at least in some part. One though, does not make or break the simulation.

So what is it that is unique?

I see a little Kimi in ISI "Just leave me alone, I know what I'm doing!"
    I see a little company that loves the genre as much as we do
    I see them offering me a 'meccano set' and saying "There! now let your imagination take over, go forth and multiply"

And that's what "does it for me"
    I seriously cannot think of one thing in my life that provides the level of immersion.
    It is the sum of the parts. Some unique, some needing love but altogether with some of my buddies and the tire conservation, the fuel management, the force feedback, the loss of grip offline, the pitstops, the wheel to wheel action in pick up races(rF2 seems to breed good respectful racers), the darkness, the wetness, the pitting to change one tire...

The immersion is what does it for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015