Real mirrors showing parts of the cockpit/car

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Gugus, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You talked about rendering the car parts from independent viewpoints in advance; that implies that what gets drawn on the mirrors 'live' isn't from the same independent viewpoint (otherwise you may as well draw the car parts as well), hence the perspective mismatch comment.

Regarding iRacing, does it still render the mirrors at a lower framerate? I haven't seen it for a couple of years.

2. Gugus

Gugus Registered

Hi Spinelli,

just tested recently the 1992 F1 series, and it appears that both mirrors are only « one mirror split across two areas ».
    That means, when I tried to setup separately the left and right mirrors, that has no effect at all.
    I had to change the global/center mirror settings to configure both left/right ones..

What I’m pointing out there is that there is a few more problems for « self in cockpit view » being 100% effective :
    1/ the cars needs to have a proper 100% cockpit - most have one, but not all :)
    2/ the cars needs to have proper left/right/center mirrors , to be able to separate the left/right/center POV...

Haha :)
    Well, no kiddin’, but on online races, with « serious » leagues / teams, you *have* to be aware of other players on the track.
    So, mirrors are here to help you knowing that someones is currently trying to - or is willing to - pass you. f.e.

But even on single players races, for me, it’s just some more sugar on this really immersive sim.. :)
    I never use virtual mirrors, I don’t like these, because they really don’t feel real.. :)

3. Gugus

Gugus Registered

Sorry, but I really don’t understand exactly what you are pointing about ?
    Since I’m talking about independant viewpoints, that implies that what is drawn on each mirrors has its own viewpoint perspective, which *is* the case in real life.
    When you setup your mirrors on a car, the point of view is the perpendicular projection of your eyes regarding the plan of the mirror...
    Regarding that, moving your mirrors can be described as « moving the POV of this mirror »...
    Then, with 3 mirrors, you are more likely to obtain 3 differents POVs...
    So the perspective will, of course, change for each mirror.. That’s the exact point of drawing cockpit parts in the center mirror and car body/whatever on the left/right ones (for standard cars , of course. Talking about formula series or some prototypes is another example, but the mechanism is the same..) : the perspective of each mirror is NOT the same as the others ones..
    That’s why we can see the same car on both center and left/right mirror, when they are far away, for example...

I am not sure we are we talking about the same thing .. or maybe did I missed something in the initial explanation ? :)

4. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Just like Lazza said - I was referring to your idea of drawing 3 independent views on car parts over single rear view rendered in realtime. That would produce mismatch of perspectives between rear view and car part overlay.

To sum it up:
    - rFactor renders one rear view, splits it into 3 areas and draws these areas on mirrors. It's a simplification - we have one perspective for all 3 mirrors, but at least we get the performance gain of rendering just one view
    - now people ask for car pars - go back to iRacing screens I've posted - car parts need to be rendered from independent perspectives to make sense. Otherwise you would see internals of your car in both internal and external mirrors, which is plain wrong

Conclusion - rendering car parts in mirror requires giving up the optimization (a cheat, actually :) ) of rendering just one view for mirrors and splitting it into 3 parts. For car parts, we need 3 actually independent rear views.

Your suggestion was to prerender car parts, but that doesn't solve the mismatched perspective problem. The issues is not with the performance of rendering car parts themselves, but with the need of rendering 3 different rear views if you want to have them matched with car parts.

Exactly.
    This is why i posted these iRacing screens - iRaing actually has 3 independent view points in it's mirrors and can afford placing car parts there.
    rFactor uses single view, so it cannot show you both internal and external reflection of your own car.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2015
  5. Gugus

Gugus Registered

Okayyy !! That is perfectly clear right now, and I totally agree this point of view (haha :) )

Then I understand the point of having perspective mismatching with pre-rendered car parts.
    This could *potentially* lead to a worse solution than the actual one.. But that can be discussed. :)
    Got it.

Br,
    Hugues

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2015