Steering Torque Capability

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MystaMagoo, Dec 17, 2014.

1. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Cannot find much info about this new controller option.

I don't see this line in any of the default controller files but I do see it in the current file.
    How this number is chosen?
    In my json file it is 2.5.
    How do you find out the 'correct' number for your given wheel?

2. Magus

Magus Registered

Rf2 >User Data >player >Controller.JSON

The value of which is determined by your wheel, hence the manufacturer of the wheel should state what the torque of the motors in the unit. Having a CSW Elite I imagine it is the same torque as the CSW v1, which is 5.25Nm, but bare in mind the motors on the CSW can weaken and so if you are experiencing a weak FFB after plugging in this value you may want to adjust to a lower torque output but you will just be playing a guessing game unless you have the tools to measure the actual output of your individual unit.

3. Jiisuki

Jiisuki Registered

4. Magus

Magus Registered

This setting is really for direct drive wheels, of which I don't think the CSW v1 or Thrustmaster T500 are.

5. TechAde

TechAde Registered

That's the torque direct from the motor without any gearing.

I've measured the T500RS at somewhere between 5 and 6 Nm.

6. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

This is for 'strong' FFB wheels not specifically just DD wheels.

7. TechAde

TechAde Registered

The note in the release notes says:

"If this is set properly, and it exceeds the NominalMaxSteeringTorque for a given vehicle, it allows a 1:1 correlation between the calculated torque and the actual FFB torque."

I don't know what
    NominalMaxSteeringTorque is set to for various cars but I imagine it'll be very rare that it's is lower than most consumer wheels are capable of.

What this means is that generally this setting is irrelevant except for wheels that are capable of generating real-life levels of torque.

8. SpeedLab

SpeedLab Registered

What he's saying is that in the controller folder, the selected file he uses to play his game (which probably has a custom name) has no line with "steering torque capability".

However, if you go to the player folder there is another "generic" controller file (which usually is the active controller file currently being used in game) which does have a line about the "steering torque capability"

This is a very sharp observation. I myself looked into the files located in my controller folder, looking at the one I use in game, and also the default "Thustmaster T500" controller file, and I did not find anything relating to "steering torque capability" which left me scratching my head.

I think ISI needs to respond directly to this post. Why would you activate a feature for your force feedback that doesn't show up in the controller file that you use to play the game, but appears in the controller file that is located in the user data folder that most people would not open up or look at to modify.

Please give us more information as to what this actually does and confirm if it's actually affecting the strength of my force feedback" even though there is no line showing in my controller file that I have loaded "in game".

Why put out things like this that affect your game, and don't even tell you what they do in detail or how to set?

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

yet another option hidden away in .ini files )-:

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yes... we need all the ini options and settings stuffed into the UI instead lol. :D

If you're serious at all about sim racing you best get familiar with how to edit ini's. But sometimes, I do agree, we could use a bit more info about the various values. :)

11. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Is everyone's figure at 2.5?
    It probably only generates a figure once you have been out on track.
    How did it calculate that figure?

and there's no ini anymore they're json :)

12. jakobdylan

jakobdylan Registered

which is value for g25/g27?

13. McFlex

McFlex Registered

As mentioned above i only can repeat that this option is only for users of direct driven wheels like servo driven wheels (Bodnar/Accu Force)

14. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

CONTROLLERS / FFB:
    ————-
    Added a Controller.JSON value “Steering Torque Capability” in order to specify the strength of strong FFB wheels (like direct drive). If this is set properly, and it exceeds the NominalMaxSteeringTorque for a given vehicle, it allows a 1:1 correlation between the calculated torque and the actual FFB torque. (However, note that we still don’t model power steering, so the calculated torque is stronger than it should be for some vehicles.)
    Increased the number of buttons per controller supported.

The release note is pretty vague.
    But if it is only for DD like wheels then why does everyone get this line with a value?
    There should be a specific DD controller file in the controller folder for this.

And tbh how popular are DD wheels at the moment?
    a small percentage of rF2 users?

15. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

As already explained this function allow STRONG wheels to match/sync the NominalMaxSteeringTorque per car (which is usually > 10Nm) to the FFB wheel torque, so if you've a standard consumer wheel you don't have to bother too much as this option is not going to make your wheel strongest in any way and there are no chances your wheel will produce more torque than the NMST. In other words, a standard wheel DO NOT need this number to be set as will never exceed the NMST. It is useful for strongest wheels to be forced to simulate the real torque set in the vehicle physics file. :)

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

for future referance my servo s 16Nm ( to 20nm peak )

do I change this setting in the .ini to 16?

(or what ever the file is called now

when there is a new UI will all these settings be in an advanced settings UI page?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
  17. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Thanks for clearing that up.
    Why is it generated within our controller file if we are not going to use or benefit from it?
    Why is it not specifically just limited to a controller file related to DD type wheels as chosen within the game?

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Of course it's not going to show in your saved controller files, because those are already saved files from before the update. However it does show in your controller.ini in the user folder (same folder with you player.json file and a bunch of other files) because that is where the new default one get's placed in every time there is an update.

19. Magus

Magus Registered

So for my CSW v2, gone back to 2.5 as original value, would that be correct seeing that the max output of the motor is 7Nm and therefore not >10?

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Was just about to ask the same. I'm going to put 5.5 for my T500RS anyways, even though it sounds like it won't make a difference whatsoever for wheels with less than 10 Nm ot torque. By the way, what wheel did you have before the CSW V2? We need a some comparison reviews :)