Redraw issues expecially with the Honda NSX.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by rockbass, Dec 17, 2014.

1. rockbass

rockbass Registered

This might be my last ditch effort to continue with rFactor2 but all the glitches with video is kind of driving me nuts. Now I'm getting flashing as parts of the opponents cars draw and drop out to draw again making a very annoying flashing. The Honda NSX seems like it would be a really fun car to drive but it is the worst as the panel just above the bumper goes black and then redraws constantly. I was able to fix some micro shutter issues by changing the PhysX setting to CPU on my GTX660ti card but this issue is as annoying. Really a shame that AC and R3E run so darn smooth on my very fast i5 with 16 GB Ram and the 660ti but what should be the simplest to run doesn't. Guess I have tried most of the normal things like different setting in details and all kinds of antialiasing settings but is there something else to try?

2. Minibull

Minibull Member

Is "Auto Detail FPS" set to anything? That usually makes parts of the cars disappear to keep consistent framerates.

3. rockbass

rockbass Registered

Auto Detail FPS is set to OFF. It's just a small part of the car that is going black and then redrawing. At first I thought it was a shadow and seems to be worst from the cockpit view as the bumper cam wasn't nearly as bad. I think I will uninstall and reinstall, if the registration gets goofed up or anything doesn't work I think I will have to say RIP rFactor 2, it was fun last winter when there wasn't anything else and will quit reminding me that AI racing can be done correctly when the AI in Assetto Corsa spin me on the straightaway. At least the rear ends of the cars won't be flashing when I catch back up to spin them back.

4. Some1

Some1 Registered

It would be great, if you could post a video showing the issue :)

5. rockbass

rockbass Registered

Well after a reinstall now my 1920 x 1080 looks like it's 4:3 so I have black bars on each side as if it's NOT a wide screen monitor. Oh yea and the rear ends still flash as parts draw go black and then redraw. Maybe I will need to wait for rFactor3 with DX11 support as it seems like this worked better on my 560ti card then the 660ti or maybe I'm getting spoiled by other games like AC or R3E though AC AI is just horrible and R3E is rFactor2 AI with AGGRESSION turned up to 11 (Spinal Tap reference but over 100 percent). So no one does AI like rFactor2 but for me it's now unplayable.

6. Some1

Some1 Registered

No video? :(

7. rockbass

rockbass Registered

Sorry no video ! Thanks for responding but I think for now this will just be RIP rFactor2. Hopefully AC will have AI that isn't AS (Artificial Stupidity) in the future and R3E to me is just a blast especially the FFB on my Fanatec 911 wheel with all the bumps and humps in the road it give such a great feel no one else compares. Funny rFactor2 was my favorite FFB with the Logitech G27 wheel but AC and R3E are much better with the Fanatec wheel.

8. Some1

Some1 Registered

Well, if the issue is a bug with NSX, I can probably fix it. That's why I was asking.

Btw, what are your graphics settings for player car and opponents cars?

9. Minibull

Minibull Member

Can you get a screenshot of what's going on at least? Use the F12 key, it will save a picture to Rfactor 2/Userdata/Screenshots iirc.

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I have the same issue--rear area above bumper flashing texture. I presumed everyone had it!

Without doing any scientific research, here is one scenario that produces the problem 100% of the time on my rig:

Tiger Moth R1. Practice session. 20 AI. You only have to drive up the "pit lane" and you'll already see it flashing on every car. Keep circulating if you want to see more.

And I am AMD, not NVIDIA.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014
  11. Some1

Some1 Registered

I haven't noticed this issue. A screenshot, pretty please with sugar on top :)

12. rockbass

rockbass Registered

Marc Collins here is describing it perfect. Tiger Moth does flash when just driving down pit road. Sorry since I reinstalled now all my controls were wiped out and been too busy working to get thing working again. I think I can map the screen shot key as I don't have a keyboard anywhere near my wheel which makes AC a pain in the @$$ as you can't map and escape key to the wheel. I might have to work on this as now my R3E is junk since single race with AI now all duck into the pits 8 minutes into a 15 minute race and AC the AI is still so poor it's just a tiny step above hot lapping with the extra frustration of being turned on the straightaways. What seems like a Sim Racing Dream is turning into a nightmare.

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Please confirm you don't see any flashing under the simple-to-replicate scenario I just outlined above. I get a lot of flashing textures in tracks, too, so am interested that there may something out of whack on my system and possibly on rockbass' too. I am sure lots of people are using the NSX and Tiger Moth, so either they're all blind or have incredibly low standards, or, it's only a few of us who have the problem. I hope it's the latter! But at least two of us have identical situations. And it may be track settings that are partly or totally at fault...

14. rockbass

rockbass Registered

Now that I got the screen to go back to wide screen and the NSX to not be looking up at the sky I tried a dozen screen shots and they all look good. What is the best way to make a video of the flickering because yea it would be nice to know why only two of us are seeing this drawing and redrawing. It's funny that rFactor2 seems to be the least graphic intense program but boy no others programs give me this much headache. I think last winter maybe it was just because this was the only dog on the block but I hate to throw it out since it does have some great AI and some cool tracks.

15. Some1

Some1 Registered

I confirm, no flashing. :)

@rockbass: If you can get your hands on Fraps, you can record videos easily :)

16. Tosch

Tosch Registered

rockbass is right. There is a lot of z-fighting going on. The bigger the track (and the xyz coordinates) the more z-fighting you see. Problem area is in most cases the bumper (in Clio the driver helmet flickers through the seat) because of the second surface behind the bumper to model the crash graphics. I see the same with the URD mod. We have huge z-fighting issues with the Nordschleife and DJC had to move lots of surfaces to reduce this.
    You can also reduce the z-fighting by using higher values for the front clip plane, but in cockpit view you are somewhat limited.

Here is the cam file for the NSX. Cockpit view has the lowest value for front clip plane and flickers the most.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2014
  17. Some1

Some1 Registered

Ah, now I see. It is the z-fighting. Hm, if modifiying the ClipPlanes does not improve it, then I'm afraid there isn't much I can do about it.

18. rockbass

rockbass Registered

Thanks for proving it's not just my old eyes going bad ! I did notice it was better with something like nose cam but I can't drive like that as then I think I'm playing Need for Speed. You would think the DX9 engine would not be this big of an issue and would work on lesser equipment but it seems to be the opposite. Might have to go back to the 370z I ran exclusively all last winter as it was the only car I liked but recent changes and adding new ones like the NSX has made me change a bit.

19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

But did/do you not also see this at Tiger Moth R1 (your initial reply suggested not)? You can't miss it if it's happening.

20. Some1

Some1 Registered

I don't see it. I think it is also related to the hardware configuration. I remember from the past, that I had z-issues in rF1 (or similar game), but after GPU upgrade, it disappeared more or less.

Currently I'm running a GTX770.