Baffled by press

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Promag, Oct 27, 2014.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

You must admit though that RF2 content is light years ahead of RF1's.
    While I appreciate greatly modders' work, I find RF2 content very well done, especially the classic OWs are the best cars Ive driven in a sim by far.

I can understand your viewpoints, I occasionally drool over pCars and AC's cockpits, but when I drive RF2 there is no comparison really, there is no going back.
    Now, either you feel that or you dont, there isnt much more to discuss about it I think.

And yes, you do need proper hardware to appreciate it, this was always the case with sims as far as I remember.

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

First, stop expecting rF2 to get over 200fps on your hardware. It isn't going to happen. But you're saying you're having a hard time staying over 60fps. That is the part that is odd. I had zero problems staying over 60fps 100% of the time (even in the dark with a 20 car field online) and I didn't even have to run at the lowest settings. I ran with VSync off and used "Max Framerate":60 in the player file because I don't see a point in rendering frame I will never see and it also produces the least stutter for me. Even on that old 5770 I had silky smooth stutter free 60fps at 1920x1080. One thing I should mention is I ran 0xAA. Maybe that is where you're getting a big hit? I don't like the jaggies but I prioritize 60fps over jaggies. Racing under 60fps sucks.

You are absolutely right though that rF2 isn't CPU bound. I also responded to the post about "more complex simulations equal in more computing power required". Yes rF2 is more advanced and needs more CPU power but it's only fractionally more CPU hungry. It GPU bound on your system.

As for AMD vs Nvidia. In the past rF2 did perform much better on Nvidia. But that was because Nvidia released threaded drivers that use multi cores properly a very very long time ago and AMD has finally just recently jumped on that bandwagon. With the newer AMD drivers the performance gap has dramatically reduced. ISI didn't do anything to improve AMD perf, at least nothing that has been stated anywhere, it was all due to the newer drivers.

3. DucFreak

DucFreak Registered

Oh yes, I was quite happy with what I found in the full version of the game in that regard, no doubt.
    The 60's F1 cars, the old Spa and Monaco, this is what many of us dreamed of in GPL all those years back, and lives up to expectations for sure (more so considering it's all "stock content", which was not good in RF1 as we can all remember).
    That was actually what pulled me in (P&G is still my favorite sim/project -ever- as I love the old racecars). I find very little interest in any of the modern "battlestar-galactica" electronic based stuff that so many modders or game developpers focus on, so my disapointment with RF2 performance was that bit more painfull also because of it.

I'm still following RF2's development in anycase and, of course, upgrading the computer will have to happen at some point regardless... :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2014
  4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

5. DucFreak

DucFreak Registered

Awww... **** :( Ok, I'm officially depressed.

Were those improved AMD drivers the latest 14.9 ones?
    If so, then it's not good news for RF2 and me. :( The latest 14.9 drivers break the IQ on my 1080P TV, which is my gaming monitor (scalling options are strangely greyed out, image blurred).
    I had to get back to the 14.4 ones because of that (and working fine on every game so far).

I was always aware that I can't expect eye-candy if I'm to run RF2 with anything near a full grid. Compromises, as with everything.
    I don't care about HD and Post-Processing stuff effects. I was prepared to cut down on details (1024x1024 res. textures would be fine, same for lower res. shadows) but then the aliasing jaggies and shimmering are probably on top of the things that make me cringe IQ wise.
    I did not feel comfortable at all with RF2 at 2xMSAA when I tested, so I doubt I would even withstand "no AA whatsoever". :D heh

Like I said, I can run stuff like GTR2 at highest settings with AA no probs whatsoever (for instances, some old screens here) and, while I would be up to forget many of those comodities, I don't feel ready to throw away ALL of them.
    As much as the RF2 cockpit casted shadows were nice to see (we've waited almost 10 years to see those!), I don't think the ammount of necessary compromises for me to use RF2 are worth it against what I have and managed in those other mentioned Gmotor2 based games (and again back to my initial post in this thread).

Thanks in anycase, Noel and everybody else, appreciated the assistance. :) *thumbs up*

6. DucFreak

DucFreak Registered

*double post* (slow internet or slow response from forum?)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2014
  7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Demo content can, has, and will change. The Civic content was put in for a client, and it caused quite a nice spike. It's changing with the next build.

8. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

To be honest I'm not sure. I switched back to Nvidia with a GTX770 and literally right after I received the new card these new drivers came out. Perfect timing. So I never actually tried these new drivers but there are tons of others on the forums that had rave reviews of them. But as I said before, I ran 60fps even on the older nonthreaded drivers. But from the sounds of it, it looks like the differance is I was running 0xAA and you were running some other level.

10. speed1

speed1 Banned

11. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Thanks Tim for your reply.

What do you have to say of the other comments I made? Some have an easy solution.

I don't ask ISI to dumb the cars or the sim, but couldn't some steps be taken to help newcomers join our ranks ?

I know you are working in a small software house, but did you make usability tests? (invite a newcomer to your house and watch him download, install, update, try to race, see where he stumbles).

If you are happy with the numbers of RF2 do nothing, people will understand that RF2 is an hardcore sim targeted to an elite of simracers, I simply hope that a small base of clients will be enough to maintain your business afloat.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
  12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Someone should send this video in to BSimRacing and VirtualR. If they don't post this video along with their myriad of AC and PC videos then I'll seriously be left completely speechless and with my mind blown.

Thanks for the great work, Racefreak1976 :)

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

This video really does put all those GFX nitpickers to shame.
    rF2 is deep, complex and very beautiful.

Great, great work Racefreak1976!
    BTW we need to make that collaboration happen that we talked about ages ago. :cool:
    I'm cooking up some pretty catchy tunes these days, one of them could easily fit one of your awesome videos. :cool:

14. Emery

Emery Registered

Looking at official track lists included with pCARS, AC, & rF2, pCARS is clearly leading (16 locations, 44 variations). rF2 is only slightly behind pCARS in number (15 locations, 39 variations), but pCARS has signed more recognized & desireable names, thus they have the clear lead.

AC's tracks (11 locations, 16 variations) have obviously been given a lower priority compared to vehicles in their production efforts. The track list does not include any tracks outside of Europe. To me, it looks like they're struggling to get the product to market.

Modding: pCARS isn't going that direction, so they're out of the picture. AC has had an explosion of good intentions by new modders whereas rF2 modders have mostly been around for awhile. Several of the most successful rF2 modders are also releasing for AC. For both platforms, however, the inevitable less-desireable conversions are numerous as people beg for more content.

15. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

They won't show it... if they do I'll streak naked through my village.

16. Carlo

Carlo Registered

The horror!

17. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

they won't! I was asking VR for weeks why they refused to public the SEAT Leon of Tommy in their site and the same about another 2 high quality mods of rf2 and I'm still waiting for their response, while a small screen about the damage implementation on the Miata of AC worth to be in the home page.

18. stonec

stonec Registered

AC's success is not based on tracklist. First and most important reason for their success is probably Steam. Secondly comes ease of modding and graphics, which makes it easy to market their product. Without these factors, AC would be struggling more than rF2.

I have seen some nice rF2 videos on VirtualR recently, including Pablo Lopez driving Honda. They probably have quite high filter of what they can include as news, some random video made by noname is not that likely to get published. Also this video is not demonstration of rF2 graphics, mostly just demonstration of what video editor post process effects can do. Same as this Interlagos video made few weeks ago, has nothing to do with how rF2 really looks.

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The point is, it's an awesome and very well done video. Great and well made AC and PC videos get posted all the time, especially AC on BSimracing and PC on VirtualR; so if the BSimracing and VirtualR website operators/owners truly are genuine and humble people with a passion for all simracing in general - rather than having certain intentions and motives - then:

A: I can't see why they wont post this great video

B: I can't see why they continue to blatantly ignore people who send them rF2 mod news updates

3 mods right there, just blatantly ignored. Why? Why?? That exactly proves my point "B" above.

Why can't BSimracing and VirtualR just be unbiased, genuine and humble websites that support all sims with equal passion, enthusiasm and love? I'm not saying for them to go all rF2 crazy, but to just give rF2 equal love just like how you'd give all your children equal love regardless of which one of them turned out smarter, or nicer, or better looking, or more athletic, or healthier - they would all get equal love and attention from you.

Does everyone and everything have to be corrupted, controlled and filtered nowadays by companies/corporations? What is this, the mainstream media? Lol

20. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

If this sites don't post every screenshot or video about rFactor2 must be because they mostly look bad.