Baffled by press

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Promag, Oct 27, 2014.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

This x a million.

It's a travesty, truly ridiculous. To think that it all has become some sort of graphics contest. It's pathetic and blown way out of proportion. It makes me think that a lot of supposed sim racers aren't really that interested in the actual racing if some yellow grass can sink their ship and rob them of all enjoyment. :rolleyes:

2. guod

guod Registered

LMAO

...shiny cows

That is just a classic post Spinelli.

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

It's just a sad reality that for most people it's all about how something looks and appears. Shallow and superficial indeed. Goes for music too, doesn't matter if it's actually interesting or has something deeper to offer. As long as it looks good, that's what matters to most.

All the really good stuff gets left in the dark, because many have the attention span of a five year old.

4. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Hmm might those be the same people who shout ' no aids for everybody' the loudest and while nobody is looking use all of them to be able to stay between the white lines?

/oil on the fire

5. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Its the frivolity that comes to sim racing, any software with a car with wheels its automatically a sim, because of that you have people talking about grass, water falls, and shiny cows instead the behavior of the car.

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I think you might be quite right about that. No doubt makes it way easier to enjoy the shiny cows when the car is almost driving itself lol. :D

I say as long as nothing is interfering with the racing itself, all this nonsensical complaining is just silly. How on earth could yellow grass or non-shiny cows have an effect on the sure racing itself? :D

Well these is a widely known term for this. But I'm not gonna use it here. :) God am I glad I'm not part of that camp. Must be tough that so little can ruin the fun of racing. :D:rolleyes:

7. stonec

stonec Registered

Graphics, screenhots and youtube videos sell. More audience = bigger community, more and ultimately better mods. I don't personally care much for graphics, but it was a mistake to release a track for this build with such an obvious shader bug. Also regarding the explanation I got from developer that rF2 looks bad in noon due to issues with automated HDR. This is something that should have been sorted out long ago, automated HDR was released almost a year ago. With Interlagos and current HDR there is a sweetspot of about 2 hours where you can get decent screenshots and videos, it is the time what Noel and ISI use in their videos. Daytime = dull, noon = issues in lighting, sunrise/sunset = too dark shadows, can barely see the track when driving. No wonder videos on youtube look bad, how is average user supposed to know something like this?

8. batito

batito Registered

Dificult to see, The future is..... (Master Yoda)

meditate on this, I will...

9. Emery

Emery Registered

Modding is alive, it's just not so, uh, lively!

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Have to agree with Mr.Box, first impressions do count, simracers or not. I've also tried to underline this quite a few times, we do need more players as 70% of the old rf1 crowd is not able to get rf2 cracked and newcomers have a hard time getting on with it.
    A first impression, or a 2nd, and then when people get more serious, a 3rd impression (because of the many layers in rf2 when people dive deeper into it) does help a allot. or it doesn't help much.

So what if people got a 5 minute attention span? the trick is to make them spend another 5 minutes, and then some. that's how leagues recruit as well, make them want to stick around. we've turned many casual drivers into hardcore simmers over the years, its pretty easy to do. But you have to present them with a package that makes them smile rather then frown.

Not so sure if a bug in a build and a new release will make much difference in the long run but as far as product placement go's, press or no press, it makes more sense to wait that month and publish content in its full glory rather then wanting to please the hardcore crowd, they are going to stick around anyways, better make sure the newcomers are left wanting for more(?)

Its not so much the grass or whatever, its the idea behind it, just releasing it even when you know its not going to showcase the sim's potential. taking away a possibly good first impression (yes people do often return to rf2 to check out new content)
    I'm all for pure racing as well, if wireframe racing would bring back life to my league I would do that instantly, but pure racing does not mean we should disregard every single other issue/preference/goal. that's just selling ourselves short. so imo it is legit to question the functionality of an approach. it also shows people actually care if they bitch about it.
    Its not just about hardcore racing, its also about changing gamers into simracers and (re)building a solid userbase. and you gotta give them a bit more then questionmarks and a troublesome experience.
    Not saying its all bad, far from it, but from a new users pov.....

11. TypicalAnalytical

TypicalAnalytical Banned

They're busy racing...

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Do you guys think rFactor 2 would get more positive press if they started using Nvidia's "real" fur/hair rendering technology called "HairWorks"? I mean, look at what NVIDIA has to say about it:
    But don't worry, AMD users, you haven't been left in the dust! That's right! AMD users can now finally play video games in a "truly interactive game experience" as well, thanks to AMD's own fur/hair tech called TressFX!

I think rF2 would get a lot more sim-website coverage - and a lot more PCars and AC players playing rF2 - if ISI implemented "real" hair/fur rendering technology to it's horsies.

TressFX horsies FTW!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2014
  13. bwana

bwana Registered

took a drive up some mountain in Italy in that X car thingy on AC yesterday. Did you know that there is a building in Italy that doesn't actually have a door ! I was amazed. Really nice place to take the family sightseeing take in the sights ,stop for lunch ,lovely

14. Adrian

Adrian Registered

[MENTION=6003]Spinelli[/MENTION] objectively RF2 would be a better game with those features (or any features for that matter)

What about releasing any content that has bugs/needs a new build to work as intended in the unstable release forum without fanfare, sort of as a soft release?

That way people that aren't worried about bugs etc will be able to use the content and once everything's good to go then put out the press releases and post in the general section.

15. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

I don't think it's sensible to make fun of the matter or to take it lightly. It's just as Empty Box or Denstjiro say:
    So you might say:
    Because there can't be any sensible ones. You don't let a child you love have a dangerous situation. You just don't.

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Bring out the fanfare, the doom/gloom squad is back in town. :D

If we can't be allowed to have a little laugh when nearly every day overly anxious people declare that rF2 is on the verge of dying, then things really will become unbearable. :D

17. Lgel

Lgel Registered

First of all, I really like RF2, I owned RF1 previously (and still use it) and I didn't try AC, nor Pcars, nor Iracing.
    I love a lot what is available with the actual build, I love the historic cars, the C6R, and the Marussia.

But do you think that someone who tries the demo will buy the product?

Choice of car:

The Civic is a very interesting car to drive but rather a very special type of car (high power FWD saloon). Does this car give you a good demo of what RF2 can offer? Does a grid of twenty Civics with many questionable liveries have the same visual and auditive impact than an EGT, T5 with skinpack or F1RFT 2013 grid has? Does the cockpit of the Civic match the cockpit of the free Corvette from URD?

The new comer will struggle a lot with this simulation for many reasons:

Tracks defaults (at the time I tried the demo) to green option of real road. Will the newcomer know how to change it to light or heavy rubber?

When I tried the demo it was the C6R GT2 in the demo. When you start a lap with it, the tires are at 30º, which is realistic, but added to green track and your initial lack of skill, it probably means a spin at every turn.

When people try the URD Corvette, they feel it instantly more grippy, more controlable. Did someone notice that by default the tires are at 60º? Less realistic for sure, but much more controlable car at first contact.

Is there a tutorial easily found for the different options of the game and what keys do?

Why do I have to edit the player Json file to see the trees (antialiasing transparency)?

If ISI doesn't want a broader public to access it's product because it is still a WIP, it could not do a better job.

18. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

The guys saying that too much focus is on the graphics and wish back to the days when ppl talked about the handling/physics etc. I understand your point but I think its a natural consequense. It seems that RF2 has nailed the handling, physics and more technical part of the sim pretty good so take it as a compliment to the sim that graphics is the main issue at time being. If/when the graphics, UI etc are up to standard Im sure the discussions will circle more about the technical aspects again.

Its hard not to agree with Hexa and the other guys when they say that grass and other trivial bugs should not ruin the experience but personally im such a person that it really annoys me. There are 2 things that annoys me about it. 1. the actual bug and 2. That a game that is not Beta releases stuff like that. I think its plain sloppy. I really wish I wasnt bothered be these kind of things but I cant help it and it seems Im not alone feeling like this. Therefore pls just accept the fact that ppl are annoyed by it and accept that ppl are different. Its not about beeing right or wrong its just the devs responsibility to consider both target groups because they are all their customers. Right now they are not doing this very well which is why these kind of threads are pretty common.

19. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

And what about you, Sir? You are the leader of the rF2-Defense-Squad, are you not? Here, take my gauntlet, march out your troops and let's have at it!

:)

Seriously though, I don't want to turn on "radio doom and gloom" but I had enough lessons in psychology to know that denying by taking things lightly doesn't work out in the long run.
    Read the other statements (Empty, Denstjiro, Mibrandt, Lgel) --> all they are saying (at least I've picked these arguments for backing up my opinion): It's not about graphics - it's about not caring enough for/about the product.

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Nice idea but I'm sure people would still complain. A lot of the complainers don't even own the sim. Hahaha. Also, ISI doesn't release unstable until they think they are ready to be considered a stable.