Where are all the 3rd party tracks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Voodoo Pizzaman, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

You speak the truth, sir. Sad but true.

Sim racing communities are not always better than regular gaming communities, unfortunately.
    There really are some entitled, spoiled brats in out midst. Sometimes they succeed in ruining it for the rest of us.

As long as these tracks are free and the modders make them in their spare time... for the love of all that is good, be nice!

2. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Some of us are working on them - Patience Grasshoppper.

Given work takes a precedent in life, I have done zero work on this in the past 4 weeks (15+ hour days working).. /sigh

I'm sure you can work out the track.... Its been 5 months so-far on and off of work.. The HDR profile is default in viewer and colours look way too saturated in it.. looks much better with automation HDR in game,
    Im not the best artist (Re texture mapping) but feedback from testers is they think it looks great todate (Albeit no Feels3 standard)..NOTE: buildings arent texture mapped yet.. and im not happy with the trees.. but its a teaser.

Again, as per above we do it for love and for the community.. we have varied skills and learning all the time.. i have seen people crucified on here for their best work.. The standard i am putting into this is 4-5x what i would put into my rf1 tracks.. albeit texture mapping will make a great track outstanding.. (Also the tools i am using aren't up to date - so i am having to do a lot of manual work and re-iterational work).. next track will be my next learning curve again with much improved tools - although i have no idea where im going to start :)

View attachment 13208

View attachment 13209

View attachment 13210

View attachment 13211

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2014
  3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

so you admit to using other peoples work (illegal tracks so you cant prove anything, ISI textures) to make yourself look good so that automatically gives you the right to have a whinge at others, yeah good one :rolleyes:

4. Voodoo Pizzaman

Voodoo Pizzaman Registered

Jeez! That looks fantastic...really putting my work to shame.

I think in total I've invested like an hour a day for the past 2 weeks working on my scratch track but you're right, texture mapping so far is a massive pain. Wish there was a better way to do it.

5. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Thanks Voodoo, built a few tracks for RF1, and learnt a lot.. doing this one I am trying many new things, and its coming along nicely... its at V0.77 at the moment, done the AIW for full track but there is 6 variations i want to release of the track so a bit more AIW work yet. Also i have some issues with road reflections over the bridge i have no idea how to solve (as the reflection plane has to be tailored around the bridge (it sits too low and reflections are all wrong).

I also have to do a full pass on all textures to colour balance them better and improve some spec and bump maps. Resolve a shortcut i took on the back of the track that makes realroad look crap in one corner (widened track alot) stretched textures..Add reflection maps on the windows on buildings.. turn object reflections on and optimize - as its not reflecting track on cars;( must a missed something :) Fix up a heap of material shaders.. add realroad to rumble strips, replace some rumble strips and textures..

Then im getting close to a beta release :)

Old video - 1 month ago.. quite a few tweaks since then - Ignore the alpha corruption on the Right pillar .. its a car alpha sorting issue.. they used track alpha sorting values reserved for tracks (ISI track document).. the car mod designers are aware and resolving using higher sorting values.

VERSION 0.70 - Car Mod Alpha Bug

VERSION 0.59 - Standard ISI F2

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2014
  6. Domi

Domi Registered

?

I'm just saying that I know the process involved in track editing, because I've done that, nothing else. I don't want to make myself look good, in fact I couldn't care less about that :)

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Some should be aware that you'll never please everyone as shown in this thread. Some just love being the coolest emo kid on the block that hates everything. You just have to learn to take some things and opinions with a grain of salt. :)

8. Emery

Emery Registered

Drathu - go ahead and make a release! Yes, you know what could use work, but you will likely get useful feedback and discover any unknown problems before you're at 1.0.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

So you whine that there's not many good enough tracks and yet you don't care for your own!? Nice contradiction lol

10. Domi

Domi Registered

I misunderstood what you've said, sorry, I thought you were refering to me as person (to look good etc), not the tracks :) I just made the original comment to state that I know what's the work involved there due my experience on it, that's all.

Language barriers ftw.

11. osella

osella Registered

Making track to "rf2 standard" is an extreme amount of work. It’s so much work if a modder decides to do quality tracks for rf2, he will probably have no time to actually play the game himself. You can either mod od drive. Or can do both but spend literally YEARS on a single track which would explain low count of tracks that exist right now.

Making a track look decent is not easy even in old sim like gpl or rf1, even there it’s hundreds of hours. I will stay with updating rf1 tracks for following years, eventually (when/if I learn to model) I’ll swtich to rf2 or ac but it will take years to produce something.

Players demand better and better quality from modders but don’t realize that making a track to "2014 standard" in 2014 is more difficult than making a track to "2006 standard" was in 2006. The tools don’t make it really easier than they did in 2006, so it’s just more and more and more.. and more work.

This is a good post from the Tired of ugly tracks in a 2014 game thread.

12. ignition22

ignition22 Registered

Drathuu - Nice! I had a burn around that track in a Porsche gt3 cup car last year and plan to spend a few years in Queenstown some time in my life + hopefully do some track days there. Can't wait to drive your track!

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

That was my point earlier. Check out the number of "man-hours" for the new 'Ring on XBOX.

http://www.virtualr.net/forza-motorsport-nurburgring-released

And it got ripped for inaccuracies as well!!!

14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Building tracks of high quality using all new rF2 features and possibilities takes a hell of a time with actual tools. If you add the required time to get to the required modding knowledge level you have the answer to the question of why so few superb quality tracks.

A dedicated modding tool would dramatically change this. We would need artists with little software knowledge to make tracks. Apart from that, today we need self teaching and searching abilities and a medium/advanced sofware skills.

I do not agree in the term rF2 standard as a high quality concept standard. Today rF2 is a buggy, fps eater and incomplete sim. The support in term of documentation is faulty being completely spread in a uncontrolled forum.

Therefore until rF2 solves all its own problems I would say that there are many 3rd party tracks up to rF2 standard. Some other tracks are in a higher level.

enviado mediante tapatalk

15. canastos

canastos Registered

Good point :)

byyyyyyye

16. gagipro

gagipro Registered

About track modding ...

The trickier part is the fastpath in dev mode :

Cannot believe how tricky it is !!!

17. Voodoo Pizzaman

Voodoo Pizzaman Registered

Agree. I've seem to hit my talent ceiling in track building at this phase. I've been at it for awhile and I've realized that my software knowledge is far too minuscule to be effective at this. :(

18. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Same old argument still?

Your lack of software knowledge is not ISI's problem to solve.

It's like having Photoshop and not knowing how to use it and asking ISI to develop Microsoft Paint because it is easier to use.

You want to build stuff? Put in the time and effort!

19. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

The only thing that annoys me are really half-arsed conversions. By this I mean something gets converted and it seems who ever converted it has a "Yeah, that'll do" attitude. I just don't understand that when there is so much potential. That's not a dig, Just think have more pride about your work or outreach for community support.

Personally, I have been meaning to get on with an rF2 track for ages, I just never seem to have the time. Plus, the texturing worries me. I created rF1 tracks and I knew ho long they took me (Bit of a perfectionist) so to say rF2 ones take 5x longer is daunting and off-putting.

Respect for those that scratch build and convert well! I just wish the community was so supportive.

20. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Where did you read that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.