Empty Box thoughts on indy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thrindil, May 26, 2014.

1. yusupov

yusupov Registered

i felt the same until i learned theyre barely breaking even. since then i dont have a problem supporting them. the prices really do seem insane but theyre actually selling at a fair value, believe it or not.

2. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Blammo. I really don't want to bump this thread up, but Gui made me do it. :cool:

Tim, if you read this, this is precisely why I was so happy to hear you guys were going to take a development approach focusing on more finished things, rather than developing as if no one was there.

For anyone else - this is precisely why there are so few people online, and so few people on here. I know some will say "BUT LEAGUES!!!" which is certainly true - however eventually that blood needs rejuvenated. It needs refreshed. People come and go and right now, rF2's worst enemy is rF2. You can say it's rushed, you can say you only have one source of data - I understand, but at the same time I - or anyone - can only take it for what it is right now. What, do you think I'm the only one mentioning these types of things? Outside of rF2 circles specifically, this title takes an absolute shelling.

And did you not notice how entirely slow he was by going two wide through there? He was way off the throttle, but here in rF2 you can just keep it matted and act like nothing is even happening even with -10/-10 wings - in a car mind you that should have a good bit less downforce than the previous generation car in the video you linked. There is a reason Townsend Bell cut down during the race, because he didn't know it was 3 wide and because you don't run up there - in rF2 you can do that comfortably.

The old car in iRacing is also beyond terrible, you can run on someone's gearbox no issue, has a couple of weird setup issues, and you can even bumpdraft reliably. But hey, I'm just justifying it.

[Rant]
    This is the kind of thinking that keeps getting this community (sim racing as a whole, though a portion of rF2's community in particular) from getting anywhere - everyone has an agenda that is specific to hate on you. Who cares what I enjoy more? There are reasons for everything, but of course it's tin foil hat time. It's the same line of thinking as the hate for the Digiprost video - rather than him not using HDR because he couldn't run it smoothly or it caused an issue or whatever, it was specifically to make rF2 look bad. It's silly. Toss in that ISR video - people complained ISR didn't do rF2, then they did, then the rF2 blind and faithful complained about anything and everything.
    [/Rant]

And you know I will. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
  3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Contact patch is a bigger issue in terms of accuracy on ovals than anywhere else, though this shouldn't make it impossible.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Really? I honestly thought they were really milking everyone. They seem to, BY FAR, have a hold on the North American sim market (unlike Europeans, North Americans seem to fall much more for the whole "hype", advertising, marketing, etc. thing which iRacing does extremely well and seemingly effectively), and they seem to be able to afford lots for advertising, marketing, sponsoring, paid events, prizes, etc. etc.

Maybe you're correct and I therefore shouldn't be so bitter, or maybe they are milking everyone but barely breaking even because they put so much money into hyping their product with all their brainwashing marketing, advertising, events, sponsorship etc. etc., who knows.

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Good. :) Hope it's noticed I don't have any issue with good, solid opinions, either way they lay in regards to a product. Misinformation is the only enemy. ;)

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I generally like your videos EB, not just rF2 but your other ones too. In fact I like your pure racing videos, of which most are of iRacing, even better than your review/opinion videos, but come on man you have to admit that ISR video was an absolute abomination. The bias, the hating, the lack of knowledge, the flaming, everything about thst video was a disgrace to not only sim-racing in general but to themselves. And on DigiProst's video, I really like watchin him too, but when you do a direct comparison video (rather than just showing general driving from one game or the other), and you know that thousands (literally) of people will be seeing your video then, come on, you should understand that most people just go by the graphics "look" of a game and that you are representing a product and should give them both the same, equal, unbiased chance.

Of course one can say " It's my video, I can do whatever I want", but as a fan of sim-racing and video games In general, as a fan of trying to spread the love of our hobby to others, as a fan of giving every product an equal and 100% fair/unbiased chance, I believe that anyone who makes videos has at least a small responsibility morally from their heart to be 100% fair and unbiased, especially when they have literally thousands of views and especially because games like iracing, rfactor 2, etc. don't have the budget, exposure and popularity of games like Gran Turismo, Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, etc. These "ameteur" videos from regular simracers like you guys can really make a difference for a smaller product like these sims.

7. yusupov

yusupov Registered

i was cringing multiple times during that isr video & i had only played the demo at that point. i really don't think it's any bias, there was just a lot of ignorance even i as someone who'd barely played was aware of. if it had been assetto corsa reviewed in such an abysmal way i'd have had a lot of trouble keeping myself from immediately posting something reactionary & inflammatory. as a supporter of these niche products you just don't want to see potential customers chased away, especially when its by bad information given by an 'authority' of any kind.

and to empty box, perhaps being caught in the thick of it you fail to realize how much youtube has blurred that image. because you're popular, your opinions carry weight, and id guess any reactions/overreactions to your video for example are probably done more out of this general fear that you're hurting the overall cause (a better product for all of us) & id guess with a sim like rf2 youre going to see especially sensitive fans because its a real underdog in the genre with shiny new toys like AC & pcars coming & iracing getting easily the most exposure of the few who are 'tuned in' to the genre. im not justifying the reactions, just explaining them as i see it.

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

The ISR video was absolutely ridiculous, don't even get me started.
    Not because it made rF2 look very bad indeed, but because of the complete lack of insight, preparation and competence displayed by the two "experts".
    The mother of arrogance and the gooey haired guy, laughing away like giddy children. Don't get me started I said. :rolleyes:

It actually felt like watching grown men soiling themselves in public, it was utterly cringe-worthy to say the least, and I was embarrassed on their behalf.
    Again, the misinformation and the lack of information was the problem, and a big one at that. This kind of stuff is very damaging to rF2, and it's not even necessary or deserved.
    If the sim really did fall flat on its a** it'd be a well deserved critique. But when two so called "experts" just aren't able to prepare themselves properly, and therefore spread misinformation... Well. :eek:

The only thing "wrong" with your DW12 video (imho) was that you didn't put any emphasis on the fact that these cars of course will receive major updates in the future.
    Not much about how future core updates will bring Indy rules, in-car adjustments, how real road will be decelerated and so on.
    It felt very doom and gloom. Only critique I have. But your points about the oval racing were spot on. iRacing does feel better right now on the oval side, way better.

But I can see why the rF2 community seems a bit ridiculous to you sometimes. There are a few very opinionated hot head fan boys here, who sometimes get carried away with defending their "perfect sim".
    This is damaging.

But again as others have stated, every community does this, more or less. I have read things on the iRacing forums that almost make me want to turn around and walk away for good.
    A few awfully opinionated and highly aggressive people who are so certain that iRacing's physics are like the manna straight from God. It's awkward at the best of times. People who are so blind are scary sometimes...

But yeah, keep doing what you're doing man. It's kinda silly, people here already seem to have forgotten the praise you had for the FR3.5 '14, like just a week ago. EB, the hero of the day!
    Next minute you're fending off body slams and right hooks coming from every direction. Silly stuff. This is just the nature of things I guess.

As long as you keep your videos honest, unbiased, educational, well informed and well prepared (like you always do) they aren't damaging in any way, more the contrary.
    Can't wait until the next one. :cool:

9. Golanv

Golanv Registered

LOL! Hex you funny. +1

I'm not worried about any of these reviews doing "damage", till ISI decides that rF2 is in the place where they want it to be to start the operation rabid monkey (aggressive marketing plan), there is always going to be a revisits and re-reviews.
    As those "scores" come in from the gaming sites that review crap, thats when its a little more permanent mark that is left on rF2 by the press.

10. Kristian Puhov

Kristian Puhov Registered

Why r u guy argue about lap times in rF2, when also in AC you can go faster than real....but nobody talk about that

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

Just listened to the first 30 seconds of the video. I thought I was playing Forza 2 (last Forza I played significantly) when I first drove the car. Tried it again and my like hasn't improved. It's a lifeless, grippy car, with poor feedback. I've made a couple of comments in other forums stating I felt I was driving a car from a different sim.

A bit of shock compared to the FR3.5 which is just glorious.

Going to watch the remaining 33 minutes now and see if I agree with any other comments ;-)

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Do that and come back and tell us what you think.

Regarding the grippy feeling, do you mean on the oval? Or on the road courses? Or both?

13. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I'm just curious... and I don't mean this in a provocative way either: Which other titles are the people playing who fire off against RF2? I can't see either pCARS or AC anywhere near the feature level and also content. So that leaves... iRacing?

14. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

iRacing members tend not to be overly complimentary about any other sim. Well, apart from AC. For whatever reason a lot of people thought that was going to be the sim that answered every question man has about anything. I always found that odd given track record and screenshots. That's not to bash AC, I hope it continues to improve.

But the iRacing...... faithful (I'm near as damn it a 100% content owner and subs paid up for another two years FYI) sometime seem genuinely blinded by its own reputation. I prefer the Driving in pretty much every sim out there over iRacing but the online cannot be matched.

Fanboys will be fanboys (I'm not calling anyone one here) for their own reasons and agendas. The whole "our sim is better than that one" thing has always baffled me. They all have their strengths and all have their glaring weaknesses. I wish people would enjoy them all for what they are and enjoy them all. Not doing so is simply missing out imo.

For me I want a sim with the tyre model of rF2, FFB of AC and the content of iR....... I don't want much ;)

15. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

Ok, watched the rest.

Road course comments:
    They seemed ok to me. EB is more positive about the DW12 than I am. Just seems like a non rF2 car to me.

I have to say I'm not a fan of oval racing. It just seems a bit pointless to me. I was hoping this track would convince me otherwise but it hasn't.
    Overall, I think EB is just very disappointed about something he really wanted to work.
    Oval comments:
    I don't get the point about complaining about lack of formation lap. It's not that big a deal and easily fixed.
    I'm not sure real road is the cause of too much grip on the track. I think that's just inherent with the ultra grippy car. The base track might be too grippy as well as it's grippy even in green state.

I don't like the road course because it feels like an airfield track and is too flat. I want obvious corners.
    The oval just wasn't scary at all. I expected to be terrified like I am with the 60s F1 around Spa.

Might have to try the FR3.5 around there and compare, or even the 60's F1 cars.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

FFb of AC - gosh funny how we all seem to have different opinions hey, AC ffb to me is the very worse in any sim I've ever owned

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
  17. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

While I like it, I probably don't to the extent my closing statement implies. I was more saying that to show they all have good points.... though, I do like the FFB in AC.

18. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

I think it depends on the cars. I think AC's FFB is very good in a few cars, but dead in many others. It is much more subtle than rF2.

Likewise, rF2 FFB is excellent in the open wheelers but not as good in the GTs.

Overall, I'd choose rF2's FFB over AC but not for every car.

19. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I have assisted a couple of people with the same wheel as mine and it completely changed their FFB perspective. On top of that there's a line in a .ini file that when changed does help too.

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

a lot do, I wonder if its the car weight effect they have ? which is done pretty nicely -but once I got into my mind that it was using a spring effect (that thought could be wrong) & sometimes it feels like an elastic band effect even that element started to seemed no so great to me, the sliders in the UI for the road surface / curbs / skid effects feel very canned and generic to me also
    I wonder if people with worn wheels feel the car weight /inertia effect and these brings to them something to fill in the void ( of lack of detail etc their wheels don't pickup)
    everything seems so "canned" in their ffb to me

p.s not trying to put you off if your enjoying it though etc + I'm a tad fussy of ffb

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2014