Please Help; Can't take this awkward cockpit view/perspective much longer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, May 14, 2014.

1. Eddy

Eddy Registered

[​IMG][/IMG]

I rest my case ;)

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Well it doesnt occur in real life and when you have your monitors wrapped around you it should behave like real-life. As it is now it looks like my outter monitors are showing a perspective from a higher point than my middle monitor. In real life the cockpit or doors to my sides don't get lower and lower like the game oh my outer monitors.

3. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Could you please take a photo or make a short video of your triple screen setup showing the problem, maybe there is something we have all overlooked.

I think you are getting confused because in real life your brain is very good at interpreting the geometry of objects and so you will perceive a level object as being level, even though in your visual field it is on a sloping path. Sit in a car facing forwards or facing the A pillar, with your head level. You will perceive the edge of the car door as being level and below you. Your mind is correctly interpreting the visual information. But if you mentally convert what you are seeing into a picture, by drawing a rectangular frame around it (imagine you are wearing a pair of rectangular glasses) you will see the edge of the door slopes down relative to the bottom edge of the picture.

Another thing you could try is sit in the car (or next to a table) with your eyes level and draw what you see.

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

At your room (I hope its rectangular lol) go stand in the middle of any wall facing the opposite wall.
    With your peripheral vision see any of the walls at your side, notice how its floor line goes up and ceiling line goes down.

If you still cant sense it, turn your head to the ceiling directly above you, and then turn it slowly following the ceiling till it stops at the wall facing you.
    Notice how your ahead goes down while you do that?
    Do the same with the floor, look down at your shoes. Then look where floor ends at opposite wall.
    You surely have noticed that you must turn your head up to do that.

Well, thats how it works ;)

5. Marc Coyles

Marc Coyles Registered

I suspect the issue could only be resolved by ensuring scale (size of) and viewers physical position within the monitors is correct / accurate to the view. To do this however would mean sitting incredibly close to the centre monitor, with the edges of the side monitors aligning somewhere behind your ears. Only then would things start to make proper visible sense with real life. Until then, you're brain is interpreting DoF represented on 2d surfaces with physical variables in play and it will never seem 'right'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Frank1463

Frank1463 Registered

The thing with perspective is that vertical surfaces should ALWAYS be vertical, regardless of the perspective, unless you're head is tilted. If you sit in your car in the garage scene and look to the side, the pillars should not be at an angle like the leaning tower of Pisa, they should be vertical.
    This looks to me like a pitch issue.

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yup thats what I think too, but I have pitch set to 0 which apparently is perfectly even.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

External vertical objects looking vertical is dependent on your overall pitch. 0 in the car just means parallel with the car itself - if the car has its own pitch that'll affect your view.

If the virtual eye is at the same height as the horizontal cockpit, and that cockpit is at the centre of your view, the whole thing will appear horizontal. If any of those conditions is not true (your eyepoint is higher, the cockpit isn't level all the way around, or it's not at the centre of your view) the cockpit won't be horizontal.

I think there are sometimes assumptions made that make people think it's wrong, when really perspective is such a simple thing it's never wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2014
  9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I wish there was a side view, a front view, and a top view where you can move around a helmet which determines the view spawning point. This way we can move the head to the exact same spot where the head is supposed to be in the cockpit and also angle the head angle (pitch) properly. A view/camera placement menu screen thing like this would be awesome

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It does it is isn't eye level, if it is below it. Someone showed you how vanishing points and perspective work already. You wouldn't be able to see out of a car if your eyes were not above it. And objects to the left and right of your head WILL form perspective to your eye line, which means they will become larger and lower in your peripheral vision.

11. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Exactly. :)

Maybe this picture should help:

View attachment 12826

12. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Some may find this helpfully for setting up 3 screen FOV .

13. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I personally find this setup a bit overdo and too "closed". It's good for a mono-car setup, like a GT, but if you need to jump between different series, like formula, GTs, karts etc...I find his solution impossible to use when you need to move/change the seat distance*angle setup to fit the car. Also with a T500 unit you can't put monitors just behind the wheel like in the video. Not saying it is not a realistic solution for sides monitor (I still believe they're too close to his head btw...), but do not fit well for a wide range of cars.

14. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

I also agree bit to close for me , but angle of side monitors was interesting .

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The lines in that picture stay horizontally flat, they don't angle downwards lower and lower the further out to the sides they get, they remain exactly parallel :) . My cockpit sides get lower and lower as if, relative to me, the physical cockpit itself get's lower and lower the further to the sides and closer to me it gets. I checked the external view modelling of the open wheel classic cars and the cockpit sides look pretty straight from front to rear, they don't look like they get lower and lower the further back they go towards the rear.

In that video the dash all the way around all the monitors looks perfectly straight and even like how, I believe, it should be. The top of the car interior on the side monitors, right below where the window starts (near the bottom third of the screen), is exactly straight across all the monitors. It does not look like the dash/car body is getting lower and lower on an angle, but rather nice and perfectly straight from the centre of the middle monitor all the way out to the edge of the outside monitor.

The fact that I can see the top of the sides of the cockpit more and more the closer it get's to me, suggests that relative to the cockpit, I am looking downwards. It should be almost perfectly parallel.

I'll try explaining it another way, maybe this will help to understand what I'm trying to get at (or possibly what's messing me up lol)......

If there are 2 identical tables - one in front of you, and another to the side of you - and your eyes are 100% perfectly level with the exact tip of the edge of the top surfaces of the two tables, then you will not be able to see more of the top of the table to the side of you. Why would you magically be able to see the top of the table to the side of you from a higher vantage point than the table in front of you? That is impossible........Why would your view of the table beside you get higher and higher just because the table is to your side, rather than in front of you? Your eyes' vertical height and the table's vertical height have not changed, they are still 100% the same relative to the ground, relative to eachother, and relative to yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2014