Anyone else NOT use HDR?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Synthbent, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Reading this thread I will test non-HDR again. I tweaked rf2 on my crappy system in order to run HDR, the limited visuals I got with HDR off was enough to push for HDR, its like 2D vs 3D. massive immersive difference.

Maybe when you got a good enough system the differences might not be so big.

But the shiny helmets and object are really ruining that same immersion factor, its just silly and i'm getting a bit fed up with trying to find the right profiles for each track tbh.

currently 60/80 fps with HDR on (previous builds much lower) so I am keen on seeing what it does to the framerates.

2. SMOK3Y

SMOK3Y Registered

HDR makes it look so much better looks pretty flat & bland without it on imo

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

That Nissan GTR shot is a dev mode shot that's been around for ages but it doesn't seem to get reproduced ingame.

The problem as I see it is the game should rely on HDR to provide a whole different experience. It should look good in the base without anything, HDR should be effects that tweak the overall image instead of a magic switch to make things look current generation, and that isn't the case here.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

People say 60fps

With rF2 I think you need double that.

At 60 fps my RF2 is not as good, still smooth but laptiimes suffer. ever slightly.

Wheel latency .......whatever I can't detect or notice I can only assume it is to do with lower fps.

Sure I could use HDR no worries and get 60+ fps but it just does not feel the same.

That is what it is all about hey ......... feel not visuals ?

But I guess anyone that thought GPL was a laugh would not understand that.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
  5. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Depend on the car I can achieve same lap times at 70fps than with 120fps. For me problems with reaction time starts when I go to 60fps or lower, or I play with F1 mods with less than 70-80fps (Just little lag). And Im not a slow driver! I had really big problems with this with early 2013 builds but not now.

About graphics, I do not care about them, I played low to get +120fps when I had input lag, but we can not ignore rF2 is far from being one of best optimized games. I like how It is now, but I understand people who feels is not enough.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

6. msportdan

msportdan Banned

Are the texture detail settings noticeable enough between full and high?

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_260 using Tapatalk

7. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

There's nothing like a big difference or that other guys shiny helmet catching your eye to put you off your game.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I do care about graphics levels and fps, that is why I would not tweak settings to run HDR or 3 screens.

For me it is 1. Smoothness 2. Quality 3. Immersion aka 3 screens

But not #3 ( or HDR ) if it comes with cost for #1 or #2.

So me I need a PC I can't afford. :( ............ lopl :)

I have used 3 screens in sims so I know what I am missing but I won't
    be one of those battling with settings and drivers and having to
    ask questions how to make a sim run I see so often here.

Like most of them have better specs then me.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
  9. bwana

bwana Registered

Could it be that most(not all obviously) run 60mhz monitors (60fps) ?? even with fast pc's or is it that the game itself runs better but screen update is slow?

10. Minibull

Minibull Member

Well I just really quickly tried this at a 3rd party Spa track, it was what I was driving last. Same settings for everything, time of day (8am, weather, etc. Just flicked HDR on and off, and did my best to line the car up in the same place. Apologies for any misalignment.
    Edit: Forgot to label them, just incase XD

OFF
    [​IMG]

ON
    [​IMG]

OFF
    [​IMG]

ON
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
  11. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

For me, clearly HDR ON wins

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Pretty close ;)

Yeah, the saturated colours look more obvious with HDR... but they're still saturated without it, just not as bright. And the red framework in the stand actually looks like sunlight is hitting it with HDR on.

Also from the cockpit, with HDR you nearly feel like you're squinting into the sun because of the contrast. Without HDR you can see the sky on the left is bright, so the sun's probably that way, and shadows would confirm, but nothing else really feels like you're facing the sun. I've had similar when driving away from the sun, especially with clouds around. You feel like there's more glare happening than without HDR, you actually have something bright behind you and you can tell; for me that's more immersive.

13. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

I've never noticed too much fps performance with HDR off, is this a big resource when looking at frame rates?

14. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

In single screen setup HDR on/off doesn't make too much difference regarding FPS nowdays.

In modders point of view, I would get rid off LDR completely and make HDR only option. This would streamline workflow with textures, because then you don't have to balance textures and lightning between these two modes. Now end result is somewhat compromise.

Other point of view is end users. Currently some of three screen setup users woud suffer too much fps hit with HDR, so LDR option must be there. Hopefully rendering engine (and PC hardware) evolves in the future, so we can get over this limitation.

Cheers!

15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Indeed. I fiddled with it last night, HDR off and trying to crank up the overall graphics to balance it out. huge fps hits with that (mainly because I activated reflections)
    Turning reflections off again, the game just looked so bleak and lifeless and no gain in performance either so I went quickly back to HDR.

I do like the way they designed this though, its gives us options rather then forcing it to all, or not doing it at all.

16. msportdan

msportdan Banned

Actually i went back to hdr makes the tracks so much better looking b

17. msportdan

msportdan Banned

why does hdr make a mess of the cockpit for. U get this horrid yellow bitmap effect.

18. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

I'm one of those. The sim looks lifeless once you've seen it with HDR and I wish I could use it but I can't use HDR with SLI and multiview :(

19. SMOK3Y

SMOK3Y Registered

have ya tried not running SLI F1? or just not enough frames then?

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

F3 is bad too white splotches you can see nothing ...... undriveable

Fine if you drive 3 screens and/or unrealistic FOV you do not see the perspex

OT

Those PICS above ? a car would be that dark inside the cockpit in that light ? , seriously ? lol :)

imo roughly 50% between the two looks about right.