seriously? ISI this needs to be re-thought.

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Ronin Hammer, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Ronin Hammer

Ronin Hammer Registered

Ok so i admit im a bit frustrated so i might have missed something, but its almost midnight and ive been trying to host a race with my brother who FINALLY had some time to race (he has 3 daughters, i have 1..)

And i talked him into buying rF2, both of us got rF1 when it was released, so we're both diehard rFactor fans.

Im not gonna go into detail cuz this should be self-explanatory by now..

When i want to host a race, with an ISI car, on one of ISI's tracks, i shouldn't have to search for a mas-tool, look through 2 videos to figure out how to make a mod-file, to be able to host a quick race.. this is just stupid.

Having a dedicated host system like we do is great, but one HAS to be able to host a regular quick race with some friends without having to go through all this.. it's just stupid.

it should be a no brainer to host a race - im no idiot and have been racing for ages so hosting/joining and making sure everything matches is 2nd nature to me - and i still havent figured out how to host, mainly because i got so pissed off after 30 mins of tearing through forums that i lost focus and couldn't bare myself to watch another video-tutorial.

Having to go to the forums to host a race is just bad..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2014
  2. macedk

macedk Registered

I totally agree. tried 70 times on my own server and a friends and gave up

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I'm starting to think people don't look/search beyond the rf2 forum.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...p-a-dedicated-server-or-quick-host-tools-Info

Its pretty easy dude (apart from current bugs of course) or ask you brother to set it up, if he had rf1 for years then doing it with rf2 will be a no-brainer.

@Tim
    Maybe its a good idea to rename the wiki into rf2 wiki, add it to the rf2 forums? I think loads of people are just not aware still.

Likewise, rename the FAQ in rfactor to rf1 wiki so both platforms are separated.

Just a suggestion but most of my suggestions are simply awesome man.

:p

4. macedk

macedk Registered

No brainer is clicking join and it works....we are here to drive not to write a mod/program first !!!

5. Ronin Hammer

Ronin Hammer Registered

Denstjiro.. needing to search beyond ISI forums, and reading FAQ's to learn how to host a race?

one shouldn't haveto LEARN how to host a simple quick-race!!! this is the whole point!

Dont get me wrong, having this extensive control of setting up a dedicated server the way possible right now is fantastic, but once john doe and babe ruth wants to have a few laps on some random track with some random car, one shouldn't be forced to break out the old toolbox and know the file/folder structure of the game to get it done

such a fantastic game and us regular racers (not hackers) are being robbed from the only real reason we buy this game - ONLINE RACING, the majority of us dont do leagues and hang out at dedicated servers hosted by communitys one has to "earn its rights" to enter, most of us are just john doe's buying the game, installing some mods and wanna have a thrash with some friends.

It's stupid.

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Its not stupid, its a consequence.

I'm not arguing it could be easier for all, in fact I have been advocating this with quite a few others towards ISI, make it a bit more user-friendly. so i'll agree on that note (not that its important for you if I agree or not lol)

But, its still a consequence of the way rf works, open source, options option options, and a community constantly asking for more goodies since the first days of rf1.
    We want more stuff to play with and then we don't, because its complicated. can't have both.

And yes, ISI notoriously lacks proper info on items and imo for the most part because its their choice, keeping the ball in the communities court as much as possible.

Anyways, one-click wont work, because the vmods are designed to avoid mismatches. And when admins or host are doing their job properly, its works like a charm.
    Because if you have so much trouble setting up a server, then what makes you think you would have less issues when vmods would not exist?
    You probably would launch a thread here with the same frustration's because you and yer bro get mismatches and you have to search the forums for solutions.
    And btw, in rf1 we had to do a WHOLE lot more learning to properly host servers. its was a complete mess and still is today. Now with rf2, once you know the routine, its a 2 minute job. 1 minute if its local.

And i'll say it again, its not difficult to host a game, just create a vmod already, click dedicaded, choose vmod, select your desired settings, launch.
    seriously, its just the vmod and rubber that is extra in rf2 for servers.

(i'm not talking about any possible bugs though, something we all are facing)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2014
  7. Ronin Hammer

Ronin Hammer Registered

mate i cant even find the tool to create the Vmod..

I dont know about you, but i've never had a missmatch in rF1 when driving with a friend, and this mess you talk about with hosting in rF1, never experienced.. it's a straight forward ingame click and bang-setup - only difference would be that you'd need to filter a bit to find the server in the list.*

oh and about coming here to post frustrating threads..

It's not untill NOW (been on the forums since 2010) that ive actually had my first "wtf i need help" moment.. so no i dont agree (no pun intended)

Been doin it for years..

if it's a 2 minute job, then why isn't there a quick guide to how it's done? how come i couldn't learn (still cant) to figure it out by just using a quick search here on isi's forums or using google?

everything is easy when you know how it's done.. but as i said before, hosting a race is nothing that should need to be "learned" .. it should be a straight forward process even if it has a gazilion options and steps, we had it in rF1, and now it's gone.

Ive been downloading mod tool packs, Dev pack, searching for the simple tool to create the Vmod and i cant even seem to find that program - so yes it's stupid.

im not trying to start an argument that'll go on into a post-war, im just pointing out that if a simple thing like hosting a quick race cant be done within 10 minutes of clicking around in the game-menu/launcher for a new guy, then the whole approach needs to be rethought if the sim is to survive as THE go-to sim for online racing.

8. Ronin Hammer

Ronin Hammer Registered

ok so to futher prove my point of this being just too tricky - ive had the mas-utility the whole time, but there's NO info anywhere as to where it's found, all i read is "create a Vmod file and u're done"

i need sleep, im too frustrated over this right now.

9. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

The tool is MAS2.exe and it is located in rFactor2/Support/Tools.

Here a video tutorial

The "how to do a VMod" guide starts at 1m 44s.

Currently the "Create the package file" icon is different now, but still it is placed in the same position shown in the video.

10. Ronin Hammer

Ronin Hammer Registered

thanks Angelo, i found the mas editor yesterday, which was the reason i went to bed, i had it the whole time without knowing it.

I've seen the video before, and the fact that it had to be made proves my point..

11. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I've never seen a video or how to guide for rF1. Seriously guys, have we really forgotten the learning curve we had with all the other gMotor sims of the past. rF2 isn't perfect but geez it isn't that hard.

12. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

The point is extremely valid so why dont you guys support the thread instead of saying things like "its not that hard" and "use the search forum". You should NOT have to search forums and watch videos to race a friend - it should just be easy and logical what to do via the GUI.

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It will get there (hosting without a bunch of steps). My point is that the OP claimed rF1 was easier. I think people forget all the threads on RSC asking for help all the time installing stuff or simply trying to figure out why their installs suddenly stopped working.

14. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

In a perfect world it should not but the world is not perfect and it is the same with every other complex toy it is not self explaining !!
    Denstjiro explained it perfectly.
    This is the system we have at the moment and it works.
    Use it or not but please stop this unrealistic all must be self explaining discussion.

15. Ronin Hammer

Ronin Hammer Registered

No, this is where you're wrong.

I've kept things organized and i've made sure i keep track of track/mod-versions and i have NEVER had the problems you speak of, it has always worked.

I've been one of those guys quietly sitting in the background trying to figure out what everyone else is doing wrong, encountering all kinds of problems that ive never had, and ive gone through several hard-ware rigs during this period. (sounds big-headed but it's true) ive just kept it tidy and organized.

Rf1 was easier Noel.

Edit: Please Alpha-Bravo, now you're just being narrow minded.

If a game that is aiming for being the go-to-next gen simulator in the future, has no clear flow of how to host a race easy enough for the average user, something is wrong - name one game that needs a video and an external tool to host a game?

i know this game has lots of content from modders and that missmatching has been a problem, and i get the point with using Vmods, i just think it could need a huge improvement as to how it is implemented into the workflow for the average user.

This is not some project shared between friends, it's a product that people pay for, on a yearly basis even -Hosting a race should be more straight forward.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Okay you tell me I am wrong and then continue in to tell me you couldn't under stand why people had a hard time with rF1. You lost me there. I had very few with rF1 but I also work with computers for a living (software developer). Just because you and I didn't have problems doesn't mean no one did. Do you really think ISI would spend all that time creating a package system if there wasn't a problem?

Anyways, rF2 is evolving. The core is very well thought out. It needs some polish which is in the works.

If you could completely eliminate the need to create a vmod to host, what would be your complain then? Because other than creating a vmod the process is almost identical. The settings in the mp.ini are almost identical. One very nice improvment is the consolidated port list. I remember the constant threads asking which ports needed to be opened for rf1. You had people listing all kinds of ports that didn't even need to be opened. In rF2 you have two ports and they are clearly listed in the mp.ini. Although you still have people claiming you need to open more but what ever. :)

17. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

The more complex the toy is surely the more important it is to make it easy for the end user. I hope and believe that it is not unrealistic to make this much better in the future. Its called improvement.

18. Ronin Hammer

Ronin Hammer Registered

What i mean Noel is that i havent forgot the issues people had with rF1, all i know is that there was no magic involved to keeping my rF1 install free from problems by just keeping it tidy and organized. and adding what ports to be open in the mp.ini isn't exactly revolutionizing even tho it's sweet.

A simple google search revealed what the latest version was for both cars mods and tracks. What im trying to say is that most of the issues people had with rF1 was more down to the users than the actual game in many cases.

I dont want to eliminate the need to create a Vmod, i just want it to be implemented in a user-friendly way in the GUI, i mean we have the launcher, with the offline-racing kept in one section and the online racing kept in another, why on earth isn't the packaging-functions neatly implemented in the ingame UI when choosing online from the launcher?

having the option to host a dedicated server from outside the game ofcours needs to stay but it cant be the only way to host a simple race with a friend.

How can you say it's identical when you cant even host a race from ingame anymore? im confused..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  19. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Improvement is also the total "lack" of the always troublesome mismatches rfactor(1) was plagued by, thanks to the somewhat complicated .rfmod./.rfcmp -system. But everything comes at a price... :)

20. Ronin Hammer

Ronin Hammer Registered

Nah you shouldn't have to sacrifice user friendliness just because you need to create a simple file that tells the connecting clients what car/track id's to use... a thing like that should be an ingame feature.