780 video cards?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smbrm, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Do any of you overclock?

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

yes, but it's a tiny amount compared to 780 owners who can get something like 30-40% more performance.

3. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

I don't get a great deal out of mine but then again it comes with a factory overclock so I guess that's to be expected.

Still can't get my head around the boost mode on these things. Overclocking my AMD cards used to be more straightforward.

4. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Thanks for all the replies.

I definitely can't fault this one for not being succinct and to the point!:p

Last time I bought a computer was 7 years ago. There is a lot to wade through to rationalize the latest costs!

5. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Got an Asus GTX 780 DirectCU. I find it excellent so far. Cooler is very quiet and stays within 32-35C.

6. datanode

datanode Registered

Exactly same here, with exactly the same feeling. Quiet and fast! Come with a slight OC as standard and run super cool.

7. coops

coops Banned

Its great to hear that people are upgrading there hardware and getting good results, I have said b4 we have to move forward in that way to get the best results from all new sims and games and sims that are constantly evolving. This thread is proving that to be right.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Gigabyte 780 OC

120 dollars cheaper then a EVGA which is clocked 40-50MHz higher

And what do you get for that ? ..............a few FPS

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...729-evga-geforce-gtx-780-acx-sc-review-3.html

My Shop Gigabyte 1006MHz is $130 cheaper then ACX 599 vs 729
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=193_1483&vk_sort=1

So it depends where you shop if you look at UK and Newegg you will see big differences whats dear whats not.
    Like in Australia MSi 780 is cheaper in UK it is dearer then Gigabyte

No matter , imho the best card is not worth a few frames for $100+ more.

That is poor value and advice I would not give.

P.S. Like was pointed out about the Zotac heaps cheaper and it will run barely a few frames slower then more expensive cards.

Warranty I have never had to return a NV Gigabyte windforce card since 400 series, service was prompt and they
    cleaned and replaced both fans and shroud for one noisy fan, great service

Funny how when you say get a Intel instead of AMD CPU for $150 more is too dear but has heaps more benefit then a $130 dearer O/C card.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
  9. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

When I bought my EVGA it was priced roughly the same as 780s from Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, Gainward. The ACX cooler is excellent as is EVGA's support, so not overpriced at all for me. A no-brainer.

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well here is a good one

EVGA 780TI is over $100 DEARER and it is SAME clockspeed as the Gigabyte ( 875 vs 979 )

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=193_1577&vk_sort=1

Like I said it depends were you live. ;) ? you did get that bit right ?

You can no doubt see from the link above that the EVGA's are 100 and 130 dearer both models so in my situation EVGA would be Terrible value.

11. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Seems we get ripped of in Australia by EVGA is all, lot of shops won't even stock them.

US and UK you see are much closer in price, I know that, that is why I put in bold..........So it depends

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=20

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?catid=1914&groupid=701&sortby=priceAsc&subid=1341

At those prices EVGA is not terrible value and I never said they were, I said MY SHOP ( which btw is same price all over Sydney within a few $ )

;)

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I intend to sell everything I buy for PC at some point. I don't. The gain is less important than the loss of money on resale value.

14. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

That's fair enough. On the other hand I've sold a couple of overclocked cards recently and had no trouble selling them on and getting the market rate. Some people quite like getting a card where the hassle of overclocking has been done already.

Anyway I'll probably leave my card at stock settings as it's plenty quick enough already.

15. j haulass

j haulass Registered

As far as I'm aware all the 780's are essentially the same except for the MSI Lightning, and the EVGA Classified which I have.
    These cards both have uprated PCB's and voltage regulation modules meaning if you do want to overclock, you can safely use higher voltages on these cards, the classified also has a dual bios feature, allowing you to flash custom bios's on to the card without a risk of bricking it.

Overclocking is quite addictive once you start tinkering and you can get some significant gains out of hardware, a K series CPU will typically overclock by 25%, and my classified will happily run at 1306MHZ which will easily beat a stock 780Ti as shown in the 290 vs 770 thread, though obviously that lead is taken away if you overclock the Ti.

16. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

I myself have a Gigabyte GTX 780 OC Windforce. Its factory overclocked and pushes out quite a bit more power than the standard. I play AC with max graphics and still get over 80FPS with 23 opponents on track. I tend to prefer the Windforce as it has three fans and better cooling.

17. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Petros, what resolution are you running?

18. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

1920x1080 on a 40" HDTV. I don't use multiple monitors so that res is perfect.

19. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

Having a 2048MB Asus Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition which can run rF2 pretty decently (not decently pretty though...) and considering the new generation of Nvidias might be right at the door, I am asking myself if it is sensible to buy a 780 or 780ti right now? Or would it be more sensible to wait for a drop in price?

20. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

I would recommend buying a 780 OC. From the reviews I saw the Windforce is the second best GTX 780 model you can get. I forget which was the best one, the EVGA or MSI, not sure. I've always spent 200-300 dollars on video cards and always was on the cusp of graphics abilities. I forked out 700 dollars for my GTX780 but it was well worth it. You really do realize the difference. My neighbour has the standard 780Ti and he gets a few less FPS than my Windforce OC 780. I know the Windforce is factory overclocked so that could be why. Not sure. But I'd say buy one now if you can afford it. In all honesty, with a GTX 780, I don't see you needing to upgrade for at least the next 3 years+ if not 5 years. Its well worth it in my view.

Oh and a handy tip, make sure it will fit in your case. :p