Is there any way to improve the draw distance?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frankysco, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Hi drivers, I want to know if there is some way to get more draw distance, specially with shadows.

greetings!

2. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

That's not something we have control over at this time. I also believe the game auto-adjusts certain settings depending on your computer.
    It looks like draw distance for the objects can be set for a track when it is compiled, though, because some add-on tracks have very close draw-in distance.

3. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Yes you can, changing values at .scn tracks files or .cam files in vehicle mods, once edited you must repackage to play.

4. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

If MaxShadowRange=(X) is still working in SCN file, you might increase the value to get rid of popping up shadows in front of you.

5. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

But if I change a .scn or a .cam (files which I don´t know where they are in rF2) will I have mistmach?

6. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

You must unpack with MAS2 tool the .mas files, the .scn are in the self name track file same .cam files for cars, if you repackage rF2 will recongnize the package as new, so you dont have mistmatch but you for play online the other user must have your same package.

Edit: You find the files in "rFactor2\Installed\Locations\xxtrack" and in "rFactor2\Installed\Vehicles\xxcar"

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Certain tracks need updates which do affect shadow distance, most noticable to me on the banking at Brianza. Unfortunately as other people have said, not much you can do unless you pull files out.

8. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Thank you everybody, I hope we have those updates to tracks like Monaco, or a new adjust to change the view distance (more useful).

9. Andi53i

Andi53i Registered

Please get a way to fix this. The shadow dissapearings just in front of my car makes me crazy. Why don´t ISI anything to give us an option in the settings for this???

10. 88mphTim

It depends which of the issues that cause it you are referring to, as to what is possible, when, and how. Other devs might simply blend the limit of their shadows, rather than having a line with a visible on/off, but it's not like this issue is unknown. Check out the grandstand in the background. Same roof and only nearest seats have a shadow. http://www.virtualr.net/wp-content/gallery/4025/AssettoCorsa_EA_V06-4.jpg

What should be happening is shadows APPEARING infront of you, disappearing behind you. It'll do that in every game really... Older content probably has a bit of changes to come which should make it happen a decent amount away from you, but it's still going to be there in one form or another, as you can see it's not an ISI-only limitation.

11. Andi53i

Andi53i Registered

So is this still a problem going out from the car mod or tracks? But you can see that low shadow distance also at official tracks like Malaysia.
    I think at other tracks they were just converted from Rfactor 1, so the shadows are mismatched.
    It´s just to bad, the graphics arent up to date, but fixing the shadow issues would be enough beeing a solid racing game in my opinion.

12. 88mphTim

I have no idea what is going on with mods and can't answer that question. On official tracks, we were still actively working on shaders when some were last updated.

If you click "Date" at the top of this list: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/tracks/

Lime Rock onwards is OK for shader distance IIRC, but I think Mores onwards is closer to where they should be when other tracks get updated. I feel the same about graphics in general, though Monaco and Italy are still OK in my eyes. But that might be because I still compare those to GPL.

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Is that you having a go at GPL lol

Why dont you compare Monza and Spa to AC and pCARS ?

Anyways you mean Monaco rocks and Monza10k which are both mod teams not GPL.

There is nothing graphical of GPL in those left !

;)

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Tim is saying Monaco and Italy are older (haven't been updated to current standards) so they have 'problems' compared to the new ones. The last part he's just saying they still look ok to him, but that's probably because the only direct comparison to those tracks (historic monaco, and historic monza) for him is the GPL versions.

He's not saying they look great compared to everything else out there.

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

lol

I know what he said.

I know he is not having a go at GPL.

It was a joke ........ I smiled.

The compare between AC / pCARS / rF2 Italy and Belgium was a honest question.
    No one seems to care, when I bring it up I get told " modders don't have time machines."

Seriously no one here has a view on the layouts, terrain , cambers

Do you think they are very similar ( I don't ) or don't care ( I do )

That is why in some part rF2 makes me feel like I am back in 1966, the same way GPL did.

AC and pCARS I drive the Lotus, it is like I am at a 2014 trackday somewhere in the world on a replica Monza.

They just dont " feel" Historic ...imo and to me that immersion is as important as anything.

Mind you I am not saying rF2 Spa and Monza are more or less correct, videos and photos you could make a observation at least.

Lastly for people that do not see any glaring differences in pCARS and rF2 Belgium terrain.
    Get your glasses checked. lol ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

On topic draw distance, rF2 is amazing, at Belgium you can see the shape of a car 1/4 a mile away up the road or behind you.

You can see the head bob, make out suspension and rolllbars, I can make out if its a Spark or Eve and skins.

I can sit at La Source like I am on top of a parked car with no zoom and watch cars through Eau Rouge and still make out some skins, that is amazing to me.

AC and pCARS cars almost look like bricks , messy blobs from the same distance.

Explain that to me. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

DD, I find it really hard to answer what you say in context because I tend to make the mistake of assuming you're actually replying to either the thread or the last few posts. As yet I haven't figured out a way to predict what you're going to talk about next, or who it might be directed at.

In that post you have 4 lines, 3 of which mention GPL. Apart from your smiley (which you tend to have in every single post) the tone was very much defending GPL. I may have misunderstood, and that may be my fault, or maybe it's the way you posted. You might want to think about that a bit.

:) <-- smiley; could mean just about anything

18. osella

osella Registered

AC and pCars use lower detail LODs on everything distant probably.

I still miss how easy it was to increase distant details via car .cam file in rf1. Editing this file doesn't even cause mismatches so there should be a way how to change this without having to repackage the mod IMO. Just make rf2 search for camfile outside package first, if doesn't exist look into package.
    Please ISI.. :eek:

19. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

On the other hand, some leagues had trouble because of this "feature" in rF1 where people edited their cam files to get around forced cockpit view settings for these leagues. They simply altered the camera's position so that it would look like a hood or roof cam.

So from a competitive point of view, I do understand why it works like this now.

20. osella

osella Registered

True, in my opinion that's a minor issue but for others it may be major.

Better still would be to implement ingame slider that would change this value globally, say from 0.5 to 5. There'd have to be a warning next to it informing about potential extreme fps drop for those who automatically set everything to max because they think their card can't be surprised by anything :). If with lots cars on track and LOD=1 you have 60fps, LOD=5 can make this 20fps, for little benefit. So right now in rf2 it's only useful for top end PCs, this is the last parameter to play with after your pc handles all details max. Even in rf1 actually had to use LOD=1 on some not-so-well optimized mods with my HD7950 (*cough* F171 which is otherwise great mod) .