FPS with AMD GPUs

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Jepsertti, Jan 2, 2014.

1. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

Lazza, there are a good number of great things that rf2 has but lets not forget that it is still a game that requires a graphics card and if you have got an AMD card then things are a bit **** right now, especially if you are running triple screens.

The trouble is, those great things don't add up to much if you can't run the game particularly well. It's a bit like a salesman telling me all the great things on the latest car, all advances from last years model but unfortunately the fuel tank is too small to get you across town. A great car, just unpractical to use day to day.

I have thought about getting an nvidia card, it will probably be my next card but it will go in to my flying sim and I will get the 7970 from that machine to go in to my racing machine. There is no quick way for me to fix things, in the mean time AC and iracing have no issues with my and card.

Both the other sims are great as well but there is a feel to some of the cars in rf2 thats hard to beat, hopefully I can use the sim properly at some stage.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, and I agreed AMD performance is poor.

The list of features I gave wasn't as some sort of substitute for better graphics performance, or something AMD users should be thankful for despite lower than expected FPS.

3. speed1

speed1 Banned

Everybody contributing to this topic has points where i'm agreeing with, no matter if i like it or not but that still isn't my problem and or they can't expect from me to have patience for more than years just to be able to play anytime what i payed fore in the QA i could expect from a current gen game, especially with the current 290 GPU which is mine. The card is brutal and runs everything on max without any issues, just not rf2. The more rf2 looks terrible on it in relation to the performance it generates, which lets than the game look like something from the stoneage. Appart from that i hurt my eyes with all the stutter and slowmo background. Thats true, i played for some hours and i need to stop because the eye muscle were overloaded although it generates more than 150 fps alone on track with triples at 4800x900 and some different other low settings, such as low track details, particels, AF4x, low AA etc.

It looks than acceptable but not really impressive. It's useless is why i don't race anywhere with it, apart from not really working things or a incomplete tire model.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

If your eyes hurt I recommend specsavers

5. speed1

speed1 Banned

What is that ? It doesn't happen with any other driving game.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

then I suggest you go and play them instead.

7. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

That doesn't make rFactor 2 better.

8. Mark Greenall

Mark Greenall Registered

What i find more than likely... Is this, ISI used nvidea cars to devolop the game, Got so far and realised that amd was not optimising well, By that time, It was far too late to change the architecture of rfactor 2. People say AMD should help?? I wouldn't for the simple reason why on earth make all your cards work well with rfactor 2 and basically everything else runs like Sh*t on them.. I mean c'mon. This is ISI game not AMD, I think there is a massive reason amd suffers its because ISI hadn't considered AMD users.

9. Miro

Miro Registered

However if you have any interest to speed up the development regarding rF2 + AMD please use this catalyst feedback option.

http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D25AD12B60

And just to quote the dude form the AMD forums for ISI:

"Actually he's right. If another racing sim has no issue useing the same game engine..... AMD isn't the one to blame in *any* shape form or fashion.

But nevertheless I did post up the catalyst feedback option which you can share on your forums. And get people to report it. Which is about the only way anything gets to AMD directly.

Unless ISI goes through AMD's devleoper channels. Anotherthing ISI could do is offer to adopt AMD's Mantle. Which will allow ISI to code for AMD graphics card at a hardware level instead of a software level.

ISI has options. make sure they at least look into mantle.

And frankly AMD is all about mantle right now so if ISI said Hey I wanna use Mantle. AMD would probably be more then happy to say heck yea go for it guys.

Also keep in mind mantle isn't just for AMD cards. And AMD has said its open to allow other cards to take advantage of. but you know Nvidia will never go for that.

Also as far as fanboyism is concerned look at your post praising ISI... clearly you are just as much an ISI fanboy as he is an AMD one. (no insult / disrespect intended bz or rsl)

So lets not call each other names and get along shall we. "

10. ChristosGR

ChristosGR Registered

Guys I have huge problems with my r9 290. The game is constantly stuttering and laggy. Although I get around 60 fps sometimes, it feels like 25 or so. Is there any way to least make the game a bit more playable for AMD users?

11. Takumi

Takumi Registered

I am also owner of the AMD Gpu(7850) and fps problems made me stop playing this title about half year ago. I just installed new build(at-least for me) at gave it at chance. I'm not sure if I remember totally wrong but performance was ever worse than before. I was like "holy crap! This can't be right". I had huge expectations for this game at the time I bought it. Too little content, too much performance problems. It was much easier to change game than buy new GPU. Ever sense I have been playing AC, for a reason. Maybe I will try some time later but in current state there is no way. I don't hold my breath any more though.

12. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

This post is quite interesting and it made ​​me gain more FPS baucoup but especially surprising gameplay.
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/18087-Experimenting-with-AMD-graphics-card-settings/page2#24

Do not go through the game to optimsé simulation but the AMD CCC and you will see a difference sacred just like me.

Look at my configuration, it is less efficient than some here and since I followed this post no more worries.
    Online or solo I at max and 29 vehicles and no lag, tremor.
    The solution is this and nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2014