FPS with AMD GPUs

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Jepsertti, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Jepsertti

Jepsertti Registered

Please add better support for AMD GPUs. I have heard that everyone with GPU from AMD has problems with bad fps, stuttering etc. My setup is: Intel Core i7-2600 3.8GHz, AMD Radeon HD6870, 8GB RAM and Windows 8.1. I shouldn't have any problems with modern sims (and I don't have problems with any other sim than rFactor 2). Still, I was just on a race online with 28 drivers (which still isn't a huge grid...) and I got 11fps on starting line.

Do you think I drove the race and enjoyed the sim after I saw the fps counter?
    - No.

Even on qualifying, with many cars around the track, I sometimes got 30-40fps, and it drops to 10-15fps every 3 seconds.

My graphics are all set to medium/low (except car details are on full) and this is really the fps I'm getting with still modern setup?

So, please make AMD GPUs usable in rFactor 2, so we can enjoy the sim and its physics and content, but at this moment, I'm not enjoying it at all.

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

AMD user reporting in.

My specs are far less then yours, yet I have little issues. things run smooth and albeit not much eyecandy it does deliver.
    Graphics even set to max (apart from sun/reflections)

Not saying it could not be better for AMD users but it does seem you can gain allot more under the current circumstances.

3. speed1

speed1 Banned

No it's still to bad, even the 290 don't generates much fun with the performance i get in relation to tha visuals. Yes i had have the choice as Tim and others recommend me a NV GPU but i don't support monopolys, but hey not just me looses something.

4. Alesi

Alesi Registered

u need to install old drivers - driver 12.11 beta11 + 12.11CAP2 and u gain x2 at least in fps

5. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Try setting transparency aa off in your plr file, helped when I had AMD. With the greatest of respect to you a 6870 could hardly be called modern or high end though. I just got rid of a 7970 because it wouldn't cut it with this sim. Yes they need to optimize it with AMD but that hasn't happened in the last 2 years and it doesn't seem to be high up the list, apparently it was the same in rF1 so you have to say it's probably never going to be as good as on Nvidia; so depending how much you value the sim you should upgrade/change brand.... or not. It's not a secret, there's no point upgrading to the latest AMD and just hoping, then screaming about it when what everyone else said turned out to be true. How is Nvidia a monopoly? They are not the only video card designer/manufacturer. The sim is card hungry look at the benchmarks even a 780Ti cannot run the game at properly playable levels with everything turned on/maxed. By properly playable I mean up near 200fps with no big drops. No point saying I get blah fps in blah game, that's not this software.

6. speed1

speed1 Banned

Sure.

7. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Also to OP you may want to use the 12.11 drivers as they give a 50% increase of minimum fps over the newer 13 series drivers.

8. speed1

speed1 Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014
  9. Sentri

Sentri Registered

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

ISI doesn't recommend Nvidia, it just happens to run better on Nvidia. The problem from what I have been told is that Nvidia is more willing to work with developers to help optimize their game for their cards along with make driver changes to better support games. AMD isn't as willing to work with the devs to suggest ways to optimize their game to work with AMD cards. If AMD wants to stay in business then they should probably work with developers similar to how Nvidia does.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I think you'll find AMD do but they seem reluctant to help smaller software houses just like ISI, persistent pleas maybe the only way for them to open up and help in anyway they can.

12. speed1

speed1 Banned

It is not a problem of the consumer to understood for whatever reason it doesn't works with his hardware, especially if there is no info that he couldn't expect to use it with his hardware. It could be seen as a kind of fraud. So please solve this very soon. End !

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It does work on AMD, just not as well as Nvidia. There are tons of games that work better on one card than another. Some better on AMD, some better on Nvidia. You don't see any of these companies putting this info in the sysreqs though. It isn't fraud. If you do just a tad bit of research you will find that AC, pCARS and rF2 all run better on Nvidia. Should we start a class action against all these companies? No, you just stop buying AMD. Speaking of this topic, a friend of mine posted on FB asking if he should go Nvidia or AMD and I responded saying Nvidia.... what did he get..... AMD. Hahahaha

14. Domi

Domi Registered

It's just depressing the no progress in this area after 2 years, and the only thing you can hear is "AMD doesnt want to help" but then the performance in other games such as iRacing or Assetto Corsa is so, so much better... which leads me to think that the problem really comes from ISI.

But yeah I guess it's easier to pass the problem to AMD and suggest to buy nvidia cards instead of really trying to adress the issue.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What percentage of ISI users have AMD? Now what percentage of AMD users play rFactor 2?

So... there's a good chance ISI is trying harder to help AMD users than AMD are trying to help rF2 users...

16. speed1

speed1 Banned

Lazza i know you as a smart and gentle guy but that is nonsense. It is just ridicilous the approach of those responsible nothing else. Just the fact how it is handled you can see with all the things people have issues with and nothing groundbraking is changed after such a long time. The steps are so little, the game will die before its fine because of out running time. When this nice 2 core using 32 bit dx9 highend game will be really usefull ? Alone the approach not to respond to the people having serious issues is a joke. This is just another thread they wait until it gets under and silent again. Just ridicilous it is.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

speed1 - if you stop playing rF2 because of poor AMD performance it'll cost you whatever you paid for the game. If ISI gain a reputation for poor AMD performance and don't improve, they stand to lose a large portion of their potential userbase - remembering they aren't even trying to market this yet - so it's not something they would want to do. They have no reason to sit on their hands while AMD users complain - it's in their interest to improve it.

You started a thread about some people apparently not liking you etc - I just pointed out a logical reason that it makes no sense for ISI not to care and you call it nonsense, and keep referring to the AMD situation and general development as ridiculous and a joke, implying ISI aren't trying to do anything about it.

If ISI really didn't care they could just decide it's too hard to please the general public and stop selling and developing rF2. They could do that tomorrow, refund lifetime users the amount they paid on top of the yearly subscription cost, and then we're left with nothing. And there wouldn't be anything you could do about it legally.

Again... ISI would be much happier if AMD users had no reason to complain. Saying they don't care is, itself, ridiculous and nonsensical.

18. speed1

speed1 Banned

Sorry Lazza it seems i get something wrong there. I read it again and understand, my appologies but that doesn't change my opinion on the fact of ridicilous approach of those and the fact that its a terrible performance related to the visuals rf2 generates on AMD's.

And yes i stop using it. I lost my enthusiasm and participation for the first.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Poor performance, sure, I don't think anyone's denying that. Though it does seem to vary, but probably does for nvidia users as well.

But 'ridiculous approach' ? Because they haven't yet fixed the relatively poor performance on AMD, and/or because development seems slow? Maybe fixing AMD isn't an easy fix... maybe there's a lot of stuff being worked on that we can't see evidence of. You're assuming not, and I suppose it then makes sense you're not impressed. But maybe you're wrong, too.

We can sit here and moan about what has or hasn't happened in 2 years, and you can look back and say well they seemed to be working on it for at a good 2 years solid before that, so 4 years at least... but at the same time, the stuff they have put in there is at a level I don't think any of us imagined for rF2. Look at the tyre modeling... 2 years in and I doubt many modders are doing their own tyres, and some would blame that on it taking 3+ hours to 'build' a tyre for testing - but think about that: it takes a PC hours to calculate the lookup tables necessary to run the tyre in realtime. How complex must the modeling be for that to be the case? They could have made it a lot simpler, just thrown a few extras on top of the rF1 tyres and left it at that, or run the physics at a higher rate and left it at that. Instead they've decided to take this approach, on tyres, on track surfaces, on weather [longer term], on turbo implementation, and whatever else... if they couldn't keep it going and get to an end goal they're comfortable with they wouldn't have taken that approach. So lots of people are wanting to see Dx11+ and 64 bit etc etc... don't you think that's occurred to ISI?

Back to FPS - take a look at that AMD thread you posted earlier. ISI is quoted as saying they've contacted AMD and blah blah... and what's the response in that thread? "Sounds like PR spin". Why? Because it looks good to have poor AMD performance? Are ISI favouring nVidia or is nVidia helping them in the hope they put AMD down (wow, that'll make a big dent in sales)... the gist of that thread is those guys haven't heard of rFactor, one of them even says AMD may not do much because there's no money in a 'small game'. I'm sure ISI will slowly improve the AMD side, as they said, but if they got the sort of support they have apparently received from nVidia it'd probably help a lot.

If rF2 is taking too long for you, that's your choice to make. Go and do something else and come back if/when it looks like something you want. In the meantime, if you're 'moving on' then move on... there's no point posting more complaints. As I keep saying - ISI have everything to gain from improving AMD support, so it's not something they'll forget about if no one's complaining.

20. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Good advice. There are a few around here that need it.