Who are the best simracers and how good are they really?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SPASKIS, Dec 28, 2013.

1. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

You don't own me.

2. bwana

bwana Registered

But I am you, the other you ,you know who..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2014
  3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I said that the best simracers could drive an F1. Now it is turning that Richard Hammond is the best simracer???? Come on, get serious! The first time you drive a difficult and powerful car it is typical the festival of spins. There is a huge difference in the first approach to a vehicle between RL and simracing. In the first you are afraid because you could damage the car or hurt yourself in simracing no risk. But once said that, what kind of simulators do you think we are using when saying that the best simracers could not be good drivers? Out Run? ;)

enviado mediante tapatalk

4. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Did you actually watch the video? They had to rush to put him in actuall F1 car because when he was training in its little brother, it was already so demanding on him that "His neck will go soon"

5. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

At this point my jaw dropped.

6. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Ive been thinkin abt it fer years.

7. Galaga

Galaga Banned

I also think so many people lose out on a lot of fun because they 'only want to race GT' or 'don't like open wheel' or 'I only run historic vehicles on historic tracks', etc. etc.

It's sad because there are so many awesome combos people miss out on just because what is happening IRL. What a waste.

Jump in a Spark F1 and hit any of these tracks and then tell me that you should only run historic tracks. It's insane...

MODERN Spa
    Nurburg GP
    Black Hole Ring
    Interlagos
    Portugal
    Silverstone
    Austin
    Malaysia
    Suzuka
    Phillip Island

These tracks really make the Sparks and Eves come alive but so many will never even try. Oh well. Thank goodness for AI. :)

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yup so true, in the end it's just a series of straights connected by corners, there is nothing unrealistic about any car/track combos. Now, if there were huge rocks and tree stumps lying in the middle of the track, and people would throw marbles on sections of the track and you have "loop d loops" making you drive upside down and sideways ok that is different story. But any "regular" track whether fiction or real, whether used by that car/series in real life or not, whether its in short config, long config, reverse config or whatever, can and should be experienced by all.

9. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

I dont neccesarly agree on this as the tracks had to also develop over time to still present challenge to constantly developing racing cars, imagine 2013 F1 car on 1966 Brianza... the tarmac would be too bad quality to go faster than 20km/h, but if the tarmac was to todays starndarts, the cars would use the longest possible gear ratios and race at 350+km/h and the drivers would fall asleep in the middle of the race of beign bored

same case for f.e. Clios on Silverstone, im sorry but that is just borring, most of the time spend on flat out on extremelly wide track whichs corners are designed to go thru faster than Clios top speed. So Clios need narrowed more twisty tracks, in which F1 cars would never use any gear above 4th. So car/track combination is very important to me

10. Galaga

Galaga Banned

I don't think Spinelli is advocating that every combo is good, just that we shouldn't be close-minded and therefore miss out on the good combos.

11. credship

credship Registered

Norbert Michelisz is a great example, how good simracers can be. He's actually a racedriver in WTCC.

7-8 years ago, he was just a regular guy, playing Grand Prix Legends and GTR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norbert_Michelisz

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yes, however I don't agree with the post before yours. Sure a Clio at a short and tight track may be funner and more exciting than Silverstone GP circuit, i'm not disagreeing that one bit, tracks like croft and such are awesome for these kinds of cars, however, that doesn't mean, for example, that the Silverstone GP/Clio combo won't present it's own unique sets of challenges and experiences. You still have to slow down and balance the car and deal with differenct corner types and etc. etc. etc. It still presents it's own sets of challenges and skill requirments.

If the track was so wide and fast and the car so slow and/or grippy that you didn't need to brake or lift the gas for corners and just drove 100% full throttle for 100% of the lap, then ya, that would be a combo that should never be used (like those horrible rental kart places that are full throttle the whole lap and the worst driver isnt any slower than a pro driver because you just keep the throttle at 100% and that's pretty much all you do), but that's an extremely rare combo, I think.

In real life, we had a Star Mazda do a test drive on this 1 km long test track. It was the width of a karting track, and pretty much was a kart track. It was bumpy as hell. The track was designed for karts and "school" F2000s. Wayyy too narrow and slow to let a Star Mazda "breath", however he still had to tackle the corners and straights like any other track.

13. Keith Barrick

Keith Barrick Registered

http://www.touringproseries.com/2012/04/virtual-v8-supercars-2012-hotting-up/

Forum link has changed its now here: http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/forum/63-touringproseries/

This championship we ran, had some of the named mentioned here....but others like: Stoffel Vandoorne (soon to be F1), Florian Strauss (GT Academy winner) and many others

We had some of the "Big guns" bail on the series when they werent as fast as they expected to be with the depth of talent.

One thing we have found running TouringProSeries, is when you take all of the best drivers from each community and put them on track together...you quickly find which drivers egos get the best of them when they bail on the series. Some drivers enjoy racing always at the front in their bubbles, rather then striving to get better racing against equal or better competition.

I personally would step up to be involved in something like this, but I find it hard to see happening.

Keith
    TPS Co-Founder

14. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Interesting. The power of delusion as both the driver and downfall of sim racing.

15. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Can you please be more clear in what do you mean by that?

16. Tony

Tony Registered

He means brittle egos Mickee, ..the other end of the online scale is me - last won a race about 6yrs ago but still trundle round near the back of the field enjoying myself

We've got some very quick guys in our leagues - nearly all are from Netherlands & Scandinavia - always has been the pattern - I blame Ari Vatanen myself :p

Edit - wasn't Raikkonen, it was Vatanen :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
  17. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

well most of the times the races are more enjoyable when there are opponents around :-D if you are in race that you are significantly the fastest, you wont have so much fun as the guys who keep battling in the rear

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Aliens

I never recall hearing Murray Walker refer to Senna or Schumacher as aliens from another world......... maybe in a class of their own. p

Alien makes me picture Gregor with very long arms and Oculus Rift eyes. p

I suggest we campaign to have a new word included in the online slang dictionary.

Entry:

"Huttu"

Description:

To drive like a man possessed

lol :)

19. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

MotoGP's top riders are frequently referred to as "The Aliens".

20. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Most likely due to the usage of the word being taken from online racing :)