Grip in RF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GaetanL, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

Yeah, me too, but that only gives me a louder "ice-sliding"-sound. :D

2. ViSo

ViSo Registered

My perception:

F1C was a good simulator.
    rFactor1 went one step back in simulation.
    rF2 like you said is a step from F1C, and thats good.

So many games are based on rFactor1 because it was the most famous, for me is irrelevant that so many game feels like rFactor1.

In rFactor2, you have to drive correctly, if you overdrive, you get a penalty, and so many rFactor1 drivers dont like rfactor2 because they always overdrive, with overdrive, I mean you brake too hard, turning the steering wheel too much, doing that things too heavily, in rFactor1 is the opposite, no penalty means that you can do it and improve your laptimes.

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Isi's Has a different different approach to that of iracings

But I really like them both.

If to much grip is introduced then it can mask the connection to physics etc, there's plenty of easy to drive more arcade style titles out there for those who prefer a lot of grip etc

4. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

The real world has more grip than arcade games. Get a grip, man.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya,

I have enough grip thank you :D

Yes but we're not sim racing in the real world, as we're sim racing we are not stimulated by g-forces and other things that racing in the real world offers ( such as the danger of death lol ),

Maximising the immersion by sending a nice balanced of effects through the ffb etc helps, without going to far etc
    I don't think in my experience of real world racing that rf2 is very far away in the grip dept, Iracing generally has less grip than rf2 but I don't see that as a bad thing.

I think there's less skill needed when there is a lot of grip present, thus less practice needed, thus a less rewarding experience

Only my opinion of course

6. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

And this is what a crappy last row car actually does when it comes to G's.
    It barely gets too 3G :) (COTA from Caterham from last year).
    On the other hand, note how very steep the throttle application is, as a bit suprised by that. Apart from T1 where I wouldve expected something compeletely different :p
    Maybe this was at the start of the race, it doesn't specify that

[​IMG]

7. Galaga

Galaga Banned

My thoughts for those who have grip problems:

- Learn how to drive
    - Being able to handle dumbed-down cars does not mean you know how to drive
    - Warm up tires & build ruuber before driving aggressively especially if you are a beginner
    - Look at your speedometer ; you are going faster that it feels
    - Ask yourself how others are able to drive rf2 without spinning

8. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

In fact the release note in KnownIssues.txt doesn't say that at all. It says this:

-Contact patch load distribution model is not final, which means tire pressure does not have the full effect that it should.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  9. RodBarker

RodBarker Registered

I can understand your point , but then I read lots of quotes that many real race drivers say that GSC is very close to spot on feeling , and even a hack like me can feel that its more real feeling in GSC than RF2 is right now , it has more grip and weight feeling as it breaks grip you feel it letting go I dont get that from RF2 . My kids love those arcade games where you got to jump over the cliff and miss the blades with perfect button clicks , they never miss while I die every time , my point is learning a game nuances is one thing , feeling of reality is another .

We all drive cars so have some idea of what it might feel like in a race car , and I just cant imagine they would spin out as easy as they do in game .

10. coops

coops Banned

great advice.... hope they use it.. any1 thinks a great sim is just something you can get in and drive it like you stole it with no probs your kidding yourself

11. Galaga

Galaga Banned

How's your fps in rf2? What mods are you running? I cannot remember the last time I spun out and I am driving the 67 G4 which you have to drive sideways to go fast. I also drive Spark F1 and Eve F1 and both of those cars need to slide all 4 tires for maximum traction. How can I and others do that if there is a problem?

12. speed1

speed1 Banned

I don't think it should be rated by skills. That i think again is subjective as someone feels wrong or less grip. As already mentioned adapting to something is another story, it is well possible to practice the wrong way or with flawy tools. That means nothing to being able to controle something broken. MS drove his F1 in the past as well on 3 wheels back to the pits after he chrased and loose one.

I think rf2 should represent some streetcars. This should people give something used to, maybe it helps to understand the simulation car. That would also represent how a streetcar would feel with rf2.

I tend to agree the cars in rf2 are somewhat raw and feel a bit wrong in details.

Edit: these things are mostly due to the steering setup, ffb, audiovisuals, sense of speed and such. The most time i'm able to generate a comfortable environment by balancing steering feel by setup and ffb configuration. The possibility to feel heavyer we have by increasing the filter. This increases the inertia feeling but the already raw patch info get lost in detail.

I wished there was more drag and lateral accel in the ffb involved while cornering instead to command by alignment forces while feeling like driving on a overheated patch of 5cm diameter all the time. The patch feels to small, therefore the controlable range of the car. Load distribution feels not right and therefore someone may practice and adapts to something wrong.

13. Domi

Domi Registered

All those cars are using bias ply tires, which are much more forgiving than modern slicks.

By the way, I ask for the 2nd time, can someone replicate this wheelspin control (even sideways) with ISI's F1 cars?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xka2lk_i-don-t-even_animals

14. speed1

speed1 Banned

@Paul Loatman

Steering resistance type="1" // 0=use damping, 1=use friction
    Steering resistance coefficient="0.14000" // Coefficient to use for steering resistance. Range: -1.0 to 1.0

I think it's this why you feel different. I'll try that soon.

I also have the feeling something with the audio and tiresounds is off. I did a test because of this topic and tryed to drive without tire sounds and after the missed little details in the ffb i mentioned previously this seems to have a great influence on the overall perception. I don't know if it's is me or something with the timings not right but driving errors has decreased dramatically. I even tryed to exxagerate the sounds of the tires but that leads to more distorted perception of the manageable range of adhesion and results in missjudgement.

To driving just with the engine sounds and revs is more accurate with rf2 for me. Something doesn't harmonizes there imho. It might be possible the tires sound sensibility is somewhat exxagerated or wrong in timings. i really don't know.

15. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

In complement with Paul Loatman thread. you can easily reproduce an "half-donut" to recovery the right way after spin ;)
    I 've done a test with Nissan GTR (GT1) at slow speed a make a great circle in first gear I was between 1.5-1.7G (depend of rubbered and non rubbered) on laterall forces, like real one.
    And you know a telemetry data show more that a youtube video.

16. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

Try the opposite, turn off everything except tire sounds.

17. speed1

speed1 Banned

@Paul Loatman

I believe you, there is nothing more important than the steering communication in our case. Usually i get everything together, provided nothing major is missed and everything is in place, accurat and adjustable. I'll let you know once i tryed your settings or find nirvana by accident. :)

Ok i'll do once i get time for. I'll let you know than.

18. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

Drifting an F1 ? maybe i'll try that :)

19. arnomar

arnomar Registered

I think there is a problem with FFB at low speed, there is not enough strenght ffb (static friction) at stationnery and low speed. In this case it's not easy to know if there is no ffb because statics frictions are not managed in the wheel either we have lost grip by openning widely throttle

20. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

Imho that is a setup issue, i always lower the camber and tyre pressure, the outer temperatures are too low compared to inner with default setups.