The Secrets of Drifting...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Racefreak1976, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Hello Guys and Girls,

Some questions I'd like to ask about vehicular control. ;)

1.)
    Can anyone by any chance enlighten me on how drifting works? I tried it many, many times in different sims. Seems to me it is impossible.
    Whenever I actually manage to get the car into a slide, it suddenly turns the other way causing me to spin in the opposite direction.
    Is that normal or is it a physics bug? It kinda feels realistic though.

2.)
    How do I maintain the slide without the car jumping in the opposite direction?

3.)
    Do I need to use the handbrake?
    I believe to have read somewhere that it also works just by using weight transfer and it kind of works for me sometimes.

4.)
    How do I get out of a slide safely? IF I get to the end of a corner.

5.)
    What changes need to be done to suspension?

6.)
    Anything I forgot to ask out of pure ignorance.

Please help, I really need to learn this stuff.

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I'm certainly no expert, but i suspect how you setup the car has much to do with you being able to keep the car stably in a slide. If the car isn't setup right so that the rear gets a consistent amount of lack in grip throughout a slide, the car will naturally shift the weight back towards the rear and will start giving you understeer and/or snap oversteer if this rear weight shift occurs really quickly.

3. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

4. Skynet

Skynet Registered

This is all you will ever need.. "The Drift Bible" by Keiichi Tsuchiya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPQyQgyuNMI

If your car stops sliding and changes direction it is simply because your rear wheels have regained grip. Once you have got the car sliding sideways and applied counter steer you must get on the power immediately to keep the rear wheels slipping... and from there just feather the throttle to keep the car sideways. How much throttle/ steering you apply together determines the angle of the slide and the trajectory around a corner. You are setting the angle of the drift (initiating) with the throttle or by forcing the balance of the car forward and enducing oversteer and letting the car rotate and then holding it there at your chosen angle with counter steering and throttle to keep sliding.

To come out of a slide smoothly ease off the throttle and as you do that decrease the amount of counter steer so when the rears find grip your steered wheels(front) should be facing forward again. Hope that makes sense.

To change direction while already sliding one way, abruptly lift of the throttle so the rears will find grip quickly and swing you the other way, (in the direction of front wheels) while this happens let go of the steering to allow the steering to automatically counter steer and grab steering again after direction change, and then get back on the throttle to maintain the slide the other way.

The most important basic setup you will need for drifting is more steering lock.

The best drift Mod/car you can get is This Supra for rfactor 1 , the physics for this car where made by the best guy in the business Niels. This car has very realistic physics and a nice amount of steering lock enabling you to easily be able to catch a big angle slide.
    http://rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Fredric Aasbo Toyota Supra MKIV Drift

Make sure you use real feel with this mod and take the time to set it up properly, it's worth it.

Most Cars in Racing Simulations are not drift ready, not because the physics aren't right but because they are setup for racing and have very little steering lock (18 - 20 degrees usually) and too much grip on slick tyres which dont give you much warning when they lose or find grip unlike the more progressive road or sports tires. Racing cars are too temperamental and snappy for drifting.

Have Fun =)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2013
  5. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

6. maeschba

maeschba Registered

Awesome! Can't wait untill the boxed copy of rFactor I ordered from Amazon arrives.

7. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Thanks guys for your help. I guess I need to wait for someone to come up with a mod for drifting then.

8. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Drifting right now doesn't really work, no proper cars. Powersliding aswell i find can be annoying in rF2. BUT and this is a big but, try the SLS Safety car. I tried it before and didn't like it. But today i have been driving it a good hour. It has for me the best feeling of tyres and all round FFB of all the ISI cars. You can drive literally with the throttle out of slow hairpins like you see on TV like Chris Harris etc. Also GSC has the same capability if you learn the Stock car and Camaro. It doesn't still have that awesome fidelity of say that Stock car in GSC, but, i think it's the first real car from ISI that shows potentially natural car behaviour.

Sure you can slide in others, but they are generally fast powerslides, where you just throw her in and then control with opposite lock. You can actually induce slides with this car.

The SLS has some really nice fidelity that allows not only that but also subtle powerslides from the slow stuff also.

This car also has that nice tight FFB that others are missing in rF2. I would like to know what is done different for this cars FFB, I love that feel. With Symmons the car is fantastic. You can feel the road texture and all it's little bumps and character.

I hope it gets some loving and a GFX update aswell as a cockpit. This car has really quite good feel.

I'm not a fan of rF2's FFB otherwise most of the time. It's too slack and i despise the deadzone either side of center. This is tight though, much better.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2013
  9. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

My english is not the best but i try, at the start of the turn push the gas, the car start slide, leave the wheel turn itself and when you have the car aligned to the apex catch the wheel, thats for start, when you are in that situation it differs later, you can keep the inclination with pumping the gas and correct with the wheel to right or left always keeping the car looking to inside the apex, if the car start loosing inclination push the gas, if the car is paasing out you can prevent it with the hand brake.
    For first try just using the gas, later when you familarized start adding the hand brake and the turn the wheel to all sides, dont be afraid to do that.
    Of course, use the SLS to start, later try with 370 or corvette, the sparks also are good but have different behavior of actual cars.

10. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Thanks, this is basically what I'm trying to do. My main problem with it is, that I'm either too much on the gas or too little. So, either I spin out completely or the car snaps back in the opposite direction. It's almost like there is no in between for me. I'm a binary drifter so to speak lol. :D

11. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I think it also comes down to hardware. Niels' videos make this painfully clear. With the generic G27 slow and weak/low torque force feedback we just miss out on all of the dynamic range you need to feel the hints you get and need to really control slides/drifts. By the time we feel these in normal consumer wheels it's already too late 9 times out of 10...

12. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Its take time, nono, up your foot, push the gas but slowly, and when the car start stop hit the gas but just touchs, you can use the cluth also when the revs are too down, and this is important, when you enter the apex, start spin, catch the wheel and maintain it (its like you have an imaginary course over the current one, you know what i mind?), just correct when its necesary, but you must be really fast.
    Oh, and im not the guy from F&F lol, im a average drifter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPQyQgyuNMI

Look at 5:31, thats what i mind to maintain the wheel, with that you correct your binary drift lol

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2013
  13. osella

osella Registered

Practice practice practice.. there are people who can drift insanely well with 8 years old Momos or even gamepads, g25 and better are perfectly fine for drifting.

The problem is more in rf2, there are no proper cars for that. Try rf1 with historx 60s cars, those are easy to drift.

14. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

In this video I tried so very hard to get the Corvette into a slide in every corner. Only managed once in the whole session. I was so proud about it I even did a slowmo replay scene of it. LOL
    This is a pretty old video. Like veeery old...

15. insatiant

insatiant Registered

I'm new at it. Take this with a grain of salt, but it works for me.

The Drift Bible video is a good tutorial.

In RF2, you can get the Nissan 370z rrS Experimental v0.24 Mod ~ http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/14335-Nissan-370z-rrS-Experimental-v0-10

Before entering a race, choose the car, enter tuning, and select the HSW tires. This will give you the correct tires and a proper steering choice for drifting.

Choose a track. Silverstone is OK. Enter, then change steering to around 36d, front toe to +.05, rear toe to -.05, caster to max (12.7) - important, and you can tune your LSD to 0, 30%, 30%, 2 (smooth throttle transitions). This makes it fairly easy to drift, although there may be better approaches.

16. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

It's very fun to do in game stock car 2013 with the camero. I think the real trick is, when you are about to go into an uncontrollable spin, right before that happens ease off the gas. It should stop the spin and let you continue with the drift. Use the gas pedal to keep you drifting. Thats how I do it if that helps at all.

17. Skynet

Skynet Registered

18. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Wow! This is real crazy driving! LOL
    [MENTION=14117]o0thx11380o[/MENTION]; I tried to ease off the gas. It didn't help me much. Maybe I was just doing it wrong. Too much, too little, to early or too late. I probably just need more practice. Btw, isn't thx1138 a movie by George Lucas? Just wondering.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2013
  19. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Keep it up and soon youll be drifting all over the place :) Yeah THX1138 was george lucas' first feature film. In my opinion it was one of his very best. Also there's futuristic lola race cars in it from the 70's :)

[​IMG]

20. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

George Lucas! My childhood hero. :D Have you ever met him? I mean you're living in L.A. after all. ;)