Do we really need this sort of rubbish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ozspeedfreak, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ozspeedfreak

ozspeedfreak Registered

View attachment 9790

Is it just me getting old and grumpy or does anyone else think this shouldn't be permitted?

2. RodBarker

RodBarker Registered

Its used all over world social groups , radio , music . movies , every second kid in the streets talks it , today its just a word that is more and more accepted as part of the human language , I don't feel offended by it , the context used is more important than the word is self . .

3. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

you're old and grumpy :) but seriously I don't care what someones server is called. I probably wouldn't play there though because seeing a name like that just screams wreckers and noobs.

4. Galaga

Galaga Banned

**** no :p

5. tjc

tjc Registered

Naming your server like that just shows the immaturity of the person/people running it and should be avoided like the plague...

They may, just may, grow up one day.

I don`t get involved in much online at all but surely there`s some way this sort of thing can be policed?

6. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

a simple language filter might help.

7. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

yeah, that should be a standard option

8. coops

coops Banned

100% it will help when it comes to kids being online the rest of us like ppl said would not join anyway and we are big boys.

9. sg333

sg333 Registered

It kind of helps to show what servers to avoid :p

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

uhm.....what crime has been committed officer tjc?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2013
  11. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Ambiguity mainly.
    Cursing something you enjoy using.

One of the worst crimes in human history, only appropriate sentence would be enforcement of going through Codemasters Grand Prix interviews FOR LIFE !!

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

If that's what there grinding their teeth over, i wonder if it had said "I f**king love rf2" people would have had a different opinion.

In either case....i don't understand why someone would feel offended by someone saying something against that which they supposedly love and/or simply swearing (and in this context....it's not even directed at anyone). :confused:

13. Nuno P

Nuno P Registered

the server is not called ****rf2, the race serie is :p

14. tjc

tjc Registered

It`s not a crime to swear... I thought you`d have known that actually. ;)

I`m neither offended by it nor grinding my teeth either, it`s a simple word after all and a word I`ve used many times myself but there`s a time and a place for quite a few words we use as part of our communication with others and personally I didn`t really expect to see such a word on a public race list for a driving sim...

Also, to use that word in the way it seems to have been used would indicate to me a dislike of or a contempt for rf2, so if that`s correct, then why bother even driving it in the first place?

Btw, if you said to me that you "f*****g loved rf2" I`d be delighted for you but I wouldn`t expect you to rush home and name your race series that. :)

15. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Do we really need a language filter? Most of us are grown ups/elderly men. We shouldn't be offended by a simple word. The bad f-word isn't so bad. There are much worse words I can think of. As an example, when it comes to racism or any other typ of abuse directed against any inhabitant of this planet. (I'm not being racist towards species from other planets here. ;) )
    My point is, a language filter can go very wrong if you remember the filter Gran Turismo 5 uses. A simple German word as "Bitte" or "nicht" gets censored out and nobody really knows why. At least I don't.
    Every admin can make their own server rules and if someone brakes them by swearing or verbally attacking somebody you have the option to kick and/or ban them.
    Personally, I would agree with what has already been said. Such names are good indicators for crashkids and some such. Therefor, I say leave it as it is.

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

The point is, it doesn't matter what their reason is for naming it, there is no reason to sensor or remove them for naming a server whatever they like.

You might like raisins....i on the other hand f**king hate raisins. Just because my words here are negative doesn't give it any less worth than one with appraisal for raisins (or in context towards rf2).

Also, yes your right, i wouldn't rush home and go naming my server "i f*****g love rf2" :p.....but that's just me, however i won't rush to judge someone for doing so.

I think this all has something to do with customs which is just unfortunate because when you think about it, some customs can be quite irrational.

Racefreak sums it up quite nicely.

I would say that for those who really can't stand to see or hear swear words then a language filter would solve the issue for them but it should be a client side option so that it wouldn't affect those who don't mind.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2013
  17. tjc

tjc Registered

I disagree... :p

I think their reason for naming it the way they have does matter (even in a small way) as to me it shows immaturity and very likely people that are not going to be serious racers and therefor imo people to be avoided.

Words should be chosen very carefully as they can mean different things to different people and used incorrectly can lead to someone thinking you mean something you really don`t...

I don`t think it`s got anything at all to do with customs... it`s got everything to do with somebody thinking they`re smart and funny naming their server using a word that they really know they probably shouldn`t use.

Anyway, I really don`t give a s**t and I`m not f*****g offended in any s******g way at all.

And btw... I can take or leave f*****g raisins...

:)

On a serious note though, I don`t really care in any way and would be one of the last people on the planet to be offended by swearing.

My comment about it being "policed" came more from my shock of seeing the word there in the first place... not being offended by the actual word. As I`ve said, I don`t really do much online and in my ignorance just thought there would be some way of stopping people from using such words to name their race series...

Anyway...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2013
  18. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Whatever happened to words like etiquette, civility, honor and phrases like, respecting those around you.
    There was and still is a proper use of language when in a public setting.
    Freedom of speech is, without doubt, a very important concept. However, it never hurts to show some character in how one uses it.
    Wisdom will get you a lot further down the road, than brash "look at me" explicates.

19. tjc

tjc Registered

+1

Kinda my point too jim but much more eloquently put by your good self sir... :)

20. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Well said Jim, can't say it offended me but as you say, it shows a lack of common decency.