Developer Q&A 8/13-11/13

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrian, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Plug in delay is a very poor "design choice", as wished elswhere please delay the start time when entering a race so the plug in has time to start....problem solved!

Anyway onto the questions:

1) BTCC car coming soon, are there any plans to license more than one BTCC car from the same era?

2) With Indianapolis being licensed does this mean there are some solid plans for future Oval Circuit Rules and where on the priority list are those if so? lots of people hanging on for this and as rF1 had them it seems strange not to include the basics in RF2 at least (so modders have something to work with.

3) Whose idea was it to offset the Bonnet Cam? and when will you be giving the option of returning it to Center of the Bonnet?

4) vMod creation still needs some work, how high on the priority list is it to "clean" this area up and make it better?

5) rF1 had a simple Championship area, so going on from the previous Q&A, instead of waiting for you to create a new one could you not port that one over as a sort of makeshift/placeholder system for now too appease those of us wanting to race championships?

6) Why did Scott stop his Track Development Updates? they were Brilliant and a great read :)

I've got tons more but dont want to hog it all :p

2. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

The solid rear axle already works pretty well, thou making realistic leaf spring setup is not possible....

3. Paul Loatman

Paul Loatman Registered

Q. Are there any plans to add a built-in replay editing and exporting function similar to what was used in rF1?

4. sg333

sg333 Registered

Any chance we will see a street circuit from ISI?

Also, will we see the 'Charlotte' oval track any time soon that we saw in early previews?

5. TJones

TJones Registered

Hi, first i woul'd to like to thank the whole team for taking some time to answering questions.

I can't do very much with the term "constraint system", i've already read about moveable parts like doors and flaps, and now chassis flex. Can someone tell us about the capabilities of this new system?
    Maybe chassy/bodywork deformation through a crash possible?

6. doug484

doug484 Registered

Q: Will an offline championship mode be included?
    A: It is unlikely. But we may eventually do something similar using stat collection, which may replicate the functionality, and possibly expand it.

This is distressing news. The offline championship option is really the only thing I was waiting for. Frankly, I have about had my fill of on-line racing against frantic fools. I don't ever intend to use rF2 for on-line racing.

The thing I loved about rF1 was that I could configure an offline championship and race it whenever I had the time.

7. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

1. when will multiple knockout qualfying be implemented ...the sessions have been there since the start but useless as they are now

2. when is K.E.R.S likely to be implemented

3. will the A.I ever use the same tyre as me instead of having its own...doesn't this make offline mode pointless ?

8. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

Will we see more advanced road-shaders?
    I think the road especially lacks sky-reflections. It looks to me as only the sun is reflected.
    Here's a screenshot from Game Stock Car 2012 to show what I mean:
    http://www.virtualr.net/wp-content/gallery/3244/gsc12_02.jpg
    I know this is a static effect (custom shaders on the old gmotor2-engine), but I think this is what the fresnel-effect should do (different reflections according to the viewing angle if i'm correct).

A even better example is maybe the still unreleased KartSim:
    http://games.reveur.de/images/screenshots/kartsim-1320994141-4ebcc55dd5316.jpg

I'm sure 'K Szczech' could explain this much better :p

9. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Q. Will we ever get higher fidelity replays?

10. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Q: The missing components in MP are currently the most annoying thing in rF, the "get missing files" does not work and i have read some plans on making it work so it would download the file from server (where in server settings you can choose wether you want to allow this or not) I think that adding a new option on top of this feature, where you can fill an URL link in server settings to mirror this download bandwith, the feature would be a lot more used, as it would ease the potentional danger of overloading the servers bandwith. Do you think a feature like that can be added to resolve the issue with so many MP related files?

Thank you

11. Rocksor

Rocksor Registered

Q: Will the new constraint system enable the engine to display proper movement of suspension arms, drive shafts, rockers, springs, tie rods or maybe even a chain drive?

I'm working on a formula student car mod atm. Its similar to the one in the video, with rockers and dampers visual from cockpit view. So this sounds very interesting for me.

12. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Yeah, that sucks so much its not even funny. I'm guessing its some other game that has to be used for that feature, or cross some digits for good enough 3rd party crap.

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

How often do ISI team members check the Wish List and Bug forum, and how does a suggestion goes from being a good suggestion to being considered in game?

14. Olivier Prenten

Olivier Prenten Registered

I believe "often" since every new build brings a list of new bug fixed!

15. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I hope so but there are a few persistent issues that haven't been ironed out. Some carried over from rFactor 1, like AI.

16. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Q. Will anti-aliasing eventually be reworked so that we don't have to use costly sparse grid super-sampling to get nice image quality?

17. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

I find this statement from the "Communications" section of the Q&A, mmm... intriguing.

The second paragraph more so though...
    "Q: You said you would not market it until you think it’s ready. Can you give us an idea on things you would like completed?
    A: Getting all the cars out as individual files, and the cars/tracks unconnected to each other was a big issue for me to wait for, and I (Tim) have been much more outwardly communicative since that happened. Right now I have little issue with marketing the product more openly.

The main issue is using content already available doesn’t really work very well… So you’ll see newer content being used for this as we go forward. Upcoming licenses we will be working more closely with the manufacturers and owners. Older content, we need to try to use more effectively, by organizing special events, etc. We can’t really announce them again now and expect a big ‘hurrah’."

Speculating, reading between the lines, inferring, or whatever you want to call it, I suspect that the big marketing push will be when ISI releases something that would constitute a "big harrah", as Tim puts it. So if it's halfway reasonable speculation to piece together what I see as the most important words, I read, "So you’ll see newer content being used for this {the big marketing push} and expect a big ‘hurrah’." The only upcoming thing I am aware of at this point in time that fits (remember too, it's a Michigan based company) is Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Indycar(s).

18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

While that'd certainly be helpful, if people buy the game and see how unbalanced the content is - from earlier material to stuff released since June, for example - they'll be shocked. I find it just as important for ISI to rework existing assets to match current standards - as dreadful as it may be for the texture artist or 3d modeler - as it is to release Indy car stuff.

19. speed1

speed1 Banned

Wrong thread sorry.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2013
  20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Will the acknowledged accelerated rate of weather/realroad changes be corrected and/or made configurable, much like the tyre wear etc options? Right now intermediate tyres are a waste of time... the road is dry, it starts raining, 2 laps later the road is wet and the rubber's gone... stops raining and 2 laps later the road's dry.

The current accelerated settings might be good for short races or for rubbering up the road, but take away a lot of realism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.