Cockpit HDR light compensation, OFF switch

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by MarcG, Aug 8, 2013.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Whatever the technical term is for when you go into Cockpit and the screen gets brighter to compensate for the darkness or whatever it's called, 18months+ on and I still cannot get used too it and would LOVE an Off option. Some cars it's vastly too bright and just makes the game look worse to me :(

2. lemming77

lemming77 Registered

Maybe some sort of exposure adjustment for in the cockpit is in order?

3. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Doesn't the 'no auto exposure' HDR profile fix this?

I agree with the request, though.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

probably, buy then you couldn't use other more suited hdr profiles got the track, therefore not really an option.

5. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

You can't just turn auto-exposure off. You can turn HDR off, but when it's enabled, auto-exposure is necessary.

What needs to change is the auto-exposure algorithm. Currently it focuses on average brightness of entire screen. It should throw off at least 50% of darker pixels and adjust it's exposure to the brighter ones instead. I have suggested it a while back and since this is a subject for many complains here on forum, maybe ISI will take my suggestion into account.
    Otherwise we will have to adjust our HDR profiles separetely for cockpits which would be inconvenient. Not all cockpits are equally dark and not all have equal windshield size, not to mention open wheelers. We end up with different proportion between dark and bright pixels and therefore settings for one cockpit may not necessarily work for another.

Tweaking for every cockpit is not the way to go. We need better auto-exposure algorithm. It would of course require more work, but would make HDR work out of the box for all cameras and cockpits.

6. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

The over-bright and glare-plagued cockpit view has been a perpetual annoyance to me too. Just give me an in-game control button for "polarized sunglasses - ON/OFF" and everybody can screw around with HDR profiles forever and a day and I could care less.

7. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

yes! Yes! Yes!

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

thanks for explaining it properly :) maybe some sort of Slider to componsate or something, either way it needs to be dealt with.

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It's tough to believe that of everything out right now, pretty much only GT5 nailed the correct look

10. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

wow that is amazing looking. Maybe I wrote gt5 off too soon.

11. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Also worth mentioning the headlight lighting is pretty poor for visibility. A video I found that touches on the subject:

If link doesn't load from set time, skip to 19:40 and watch it for a couple of minutes.

12. yokelhama

yokelhama Registered

A quick comparison I made to show this lighting difference issue. All shots taken at the same corner @ 9:30am, Mores clear profile, looking basically straight at the sun, 40 FOV in cockpit.

As you can see in the bumper column, the colours & exposure are consistent, although a little underexposed for my tastes. The Bonnet / T-Cam exposure is actually almost perfect for me, colours & exposure are nicely balanced, just the right amount of bloom to look natural. Unfortunately cockpit view in the hardtops is almost undriveable for me, the sky is purely white, any highlights or white areas on track (kerbs/signs) are too overexposed, so there's no longer any detail. Basically the overall scene is just too overexposed. The cockpit itself is fine, it's just the areas outside that are the problem. The open top cars don't seem to suffer anywhere near as bad as the hardtops and are not a problem for me.

Since I drive cockpit and I don't think I should have to change to bonnet, it really is a massive issue and I hope ISI really fix this soon as it's not realistic at all.

[​IMG]

13. Some1

Some1 Registered

I agree 100%.

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

thanks yokelhama that shows perfectly what the problem (for me) is :)

15. boxer

boxer Registered

Agree that with the HDR comments but I'm not sure the answer or tweaking HDR code...
    Personally I don't use the HDR option because of the randomnesses off the exposure, every camera position generates a different exposure... Perhaps an an option to remove the HDR which includes auto exposure post processing altogether while leaving the other adjustments...

What I really would love to have is better/accurate lighting with the regular graphic version... which IMO right now is too flat, lacks proper shadows... it appears that all lighting is being defused... as if we are driving under cloudy sky's... perhaps it just needs a better balance between defused and direct lighting plus a bit of brightness/contrast adjustment...

16. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

Exactly. Until its fixed HDR is more of a problem than useful feature.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2013
  17. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

HDR is great and I completely agree with K Szczech. Maybe some study of how human eye works would help improving this algorithm.

18. Bart S

Bart S Member

Just a small note yokelhama you probably know this already but there is no Ford Mustang its a Chevy Camaro which you wrongly labelled in your pics. I thought I was missing a download at first till I saw the dash.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Maybe, or just do what Szczech said ;)

Nearly any (decent) digital camera can reproduce exactly this problem when you take it off centre-weighted-average (default) to plain average for the exposure mode. Then you can swing it too far the other way by putting it on spot mode.

Thing is, at some point it has to be tweaked a little doesn't it? Make the cockpit view a bit darker overall by 'exposing' mainly for what you're seeing outside and the cockpit itself will look too dark compared to what a real cockpit looks like when you're looking at it (because your eyes adjust to what you're looking at as well). If you go and take photos from inside a real car you'll struggle to get a single shot that properly exposes the interior well enough to make out details without turning the sky white, so if the game tries to emulate what a camera would see it'll either have to guess what you're looking at or just force you to see (well) what it wants - a bit like the very ugly, very bad DOF effects we've seen in some driving games.

Or is that sort of compensation part of the whole HDR profile thing?

20. DavidG

DavidG Registered

+1 here. I've had to turn HDR off because of this issue.