[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Just don't forget your afternoon nap. You might be ready for it.

2. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Today, Tomorrow or Tuesday.. All the same to us. Don't rush a critical session of work for a promised release..

SH!T.. I have become ISI.

EDIT.. Here is a useful video showing mostly trees. Hurray for poor camera angles!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
  3. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Thanks! This will come in handy later on! First, I'll make sure the actual trees we got are flickerless, and make sure other features are in, then later I'll work to try and position the trees as best as I can to try to match what we see there!

Actually, it is already much similar, with a few differences, I havent watched the video completely tho. Watched about 2 mins.

Is that you, or a video you found on youtube?

4. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

yeah its all about having fun, stress shouldnt be part of it, non-healthy stress that is:)

5. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

PFFT.. I wouldn't be caught dead in an automatic around the ring.

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I would ride my 3 year old niece's pink bicycle on the Ring....

7. Dale B

Dale B Registered

:D
    lol :D

8. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

I have some footage from the ring too in Full HD if you want it. You can have the GoPro raw footage if that is helpful.

9. marek987

marek987 Registered

No problem:
    http://www.radamring.de/de/
    Earlier this day I will run on the Ring :)

10. Nor

Nor Registered

@ pleclair:
    Great to see someone working on a conversion for that great track, so work of rf-nordschleife Team does not die. I wish you good luck and nerves of steel for your work.

@ Rocksor, at that time (rf-nordschleife.de) I did lot of work by editing the roadmesh in cooperation with real Nordschleife professional drivers, like Marc Hennerici. Hatzenbach, Flugplatz, Schwedenkreuz, Metzgesfeld, Breidscheid, Eiskurve, Pflanzgarten, Hohe 8 and lot more trackparts was part of my work for allnost 3 Years. I agree that Schwedenkreuz is probably the most different part comparing to real road. At that time it was a big dissapointment for me that I wasn't able to do it better.
    But beleave me, studying only the onboard videos without having an accurate hight profile of the road it is quite impossible to fit the virtual road to real road perfectly.

11. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

With a 10Hz GPS that tracks 9-12 satellites you should get a pretty accurate elevation track, I'd think? I'm not going to the ring until may next year, but maybe some other helpful soul have a GPS track?

12. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

I have a GPS Profile of a lap, although its only recorded with a 1Hz Device. If it can be used anyway i would be happy to share it.

Lowest Altitude is 403 meters, highest 669 meters, making a difference of 266 meters on a single lap :)

13. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Also, you can use GE for a raw comparison (nice there are not data holes in that area) for the main elevation profile, but you need to export the center line into a list of vertical values to make a 1:1 comparison.

View attachment 9504

14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Re: [WIP] Nordschleife Tourist

Somebody might correct me but the precision of GE is quite bad for using it tor track making purposes. I was told by a friend of mine who is a military aircraft pilot that it was on purpose altered for military reasons and that there is software available that corrects it.

Other options are available (I use compeGPS land as well) for elevation data but I think the precision is quite bad as well.

I would better rely on the record of a proper gps device which offers much more accurate data. Having several laps record would give an idea of its precision and would allow some smoothing and averaging to get some quality data.

You can also laser scan the track if you have the cash :D

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

15. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I didn't say to use GE to make the track. I said he can use the GE elevation profile to make a RAW comparison between the actual track model and the GE data. This is a great tool to check if there are big errors in the track model as the main vertical scale ratio.

16. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I still believe that track is too much bumpy ! I made a ton of lap in this version and I feel like there are little holes everywhere!the car constantly bouncing. even on the straights and just watch the replays on YT to understand that the realcircuit is 'much smoother than this version of the track!

17. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Re: [WIP] Nordschleife Tourist

I would think that any error that is found with that method would have already been addressed by the people who have actually driven there several times and know the track or by direct comparison with GT5 track which AFAIK is one of the better, if not the best, model available.

I really dont find myself google earth a useful tool for elevation. I think it is very useful for top view track layout and for the surroundings but nothing else.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

18. Nor

Nor Registered

The differences are that small between that track and real track, so GE would not help. BTW, I also had GPS data of fast laps at that teim, but that data contains tha driving line not the middle of track line. Furthermore, to get the pitch of the track, I mean the elevation difference between left and right side youn need very accurate GPS data from both sides.

It's not that easy without having costs. ;-)

Only possibllity is to make new mesh for certain track sections like Schwedenkreuz from existing good track (if you know what I mean).

best regards Norbert

19. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Here is an article about altitude using GPS.
    The best is get the elevation from other methods.

20. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Any other links to version 0.91 than Mega? I have problems with Mega-Firefox combination.