[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. pleclair

pleclair Registered

However, it could be fixed by ISI... they shouldnt allow BB stuff to rotate fully as you go past it...

As it is, the tree you see facing you in the distance, turns around to its side to face you when you move next to it.

If the rotation was limited to some degrees, it would fix this problem happening when they are too close to you.

I think.

2. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Great update, Pleclair and I am very impressed by your your enthusiasm and appreciative of your continuing efforts! :)

3. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Uhhh, I have never had a chance to observe trees, should I slow down? Track is just too engrossing to watch trees.

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

try chase-cam in replay Jim. its pretty obvious. S1 left side before crest.

Understood Pleclair and yeah, if it aint a shiny fix then might as well go back to what you had in v0.80. didn't happen there and although maybe not so nice looking, at least it wont move.

I wonder though, if you would do that trick on a full stand with people innit, would you get a wave each round?
    when bugs become features.....

5. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

Have you gone of track and driven past a tree that rotates on an ISI track ..I'm pretty sure they rotate correctly

dont have an answer for the fix ..I have a similar problem and thought it may be something to do with the pivot point

6. Jez Hammond

Jez Hammond Registered

[WIP] Nordschleife Tourist

Billboarding is a method for 2D sprites always facing the camera in a 3D world. For trees, the bb should be restricted to the Y axis (up). But I don't really see any point in enabling this for the 'X' shaped trees, which are designed to be ultra low-poly models viewed from all angles (except from above!).

Good to hear the welding is happening. Hopefully it will keep my fps in check down the fast sections!

Great job pleclair.

7. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Are there any plans to smooth the walls and kurbs a bit? The big kinks are really how I can identify the old Com8 track to newer versions in other games.

8. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
  9. Voltaic

Voltaic Registered

I just made a donation pleclair. Keep up the good work!

10. GTS

GTS Registered

pleclair thank you very much for bringing this most important circuit to rF2!

11. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I know that X shaped trees shouldnt be pivoting :)

But I know I got a few ones that do! This is because I didnt got all trees objects on my first try. There are trees objects named without trees in their filename, so finding them was a bit hard.

I think I managed to group everyone of them this time, so when I'll get to them, there should remain no X shaped tree (voluntarily).

Regarding the welding, well, here is the numbers:

There was 88000 verts for the road objects alone, straight imported from rf1, no smoothing from import... this is for the road, and its immediate surroundings.

There are now 36000 verts for the same objects :)

That number is now much higher since the mesh have been tessellated, but the mesh itself is of a much better quality.

Btw, I was able to try the new mesh in game yesterday evening :) It is really nice!

I have also tessellated the curbs (1 pass, vs 2 for the road), so even the curbs are smoother to feel!

I'm currently swapping the material id of that part of grass that is together with the curbs texture. Since I cutted the curbs flush, I can change that part of grass that is with the curb, for another grass, the road side one, and it blends perfectly!

This will mean the real road will be working on them now!

Unfortunately tho, my 3dsimed v3 demo license is out, and I cannot have an activation code until the 25th, the guy is on holiday.

I tried to change materials yesterday in 3dsmax, and it didnt worked out. Will try again today, and until the 25th... :p

EDIT: Ordered a 3dsimed v3 license yesterday :) Wow GBP are made of gold or what? 30GBP = 48$ CDN ^^ But it is still well worth it. The material part is just genius. Cant see myself do it in max... there must be something I'm not getting.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2013
  12. pleclair

pleclair Registered

The curbs are smoother a bit since they now have an higher resolution mesh. They arent round, nor they should, but they seemed better to me, havent compared side by side but...

The fences shouldnt be smoothed... they are straight panels bound to another... they are fine as they are imo.

Until I learn the AIW stuff, press the AI key so he helps you push the car out ;)

The car is spawning with a bit of the rear in the concrete. Strangely, the AI can get it out :)

13. Jez Hammond

Jez Hammond Registered

36K verts is much better! But sounds like that number just multiplied 0_0 v0.80 runs at 60fps here I shall stick with it as still awesome fun and totally engrossing.

14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Re: [WIP] Nordschleife Tourist

I have noticed that behaviour as well. AI can handle situations were the car is undrivable for normal racing. It has happened to me in the gravel with ekarts at ociokart. When I get in the gravel I have to hit ESC but AI will drive out of it as if nothing occurred. Hopefully AI system will be improved and hopefully real physics will be used.

I asked somewhere else the posssibility to use real physics in the AI of your own. It would be good to test tracks and setups as well. Now we cannot even see tire temps or wear when toggling to AI mode :mad:

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

15. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered

Thanks for rescuing the game!

16. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

We all appreciate what you're doing!

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Post that once more and YOU WILL BE BANNED. Sheesh.

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

18. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I could have sworn he gave the creator props in the first post in this thread.
    In this case INTEL I don't think he's looking "to profit" I think he's just simply looking for a little "financial aid" to get his computer up to speed enough to work on tracks better. And you know how I feel about payware :mad:

19. Bart S

Bart S Member

Look pal if you don't like it then you don't like it. Don't come here spewing your spiel making the rest of us scan past your useless post to get to some detailed info.

It bothers me to know your screen name contains the word INTEL as you clearly are not and know too little about the facts to pass judgment and comment.
    I for one would not support this guys if he was doing the wrong thing, I would voice my concerns to ISI and not here if I though something was immoral and not correct.

The facts....
    The original author / designer of the track is Com8 he clearly states his creation can be used and ported freely to any other platform.

The Paypal donation link is to support the progress to complete the conversion u numpty, it does not pay him a wage its a donation toward the equipment he desperately needs to ease with the computer resources required. The guy needs RAM. I'm sure he will block the donation when he can buy what he needs. It is clear to most of us what he has done is a noble thing for the whole rfactor2 community, including yourself.

Have you driven the track yourself to know it has bugs? You must of because you dont read the posts here or else you would know the facts I stated above. You sound like a bit of a hypocrite to download and play what you deam a ripoff and then come here throwing accusations.

I'm done thankyou case closed, all others with morale issues about this contact Tim directly no need for it posting here.

Please carry on with your good work Pleclair.

20. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

"u numpty" , thats classic Bart, at least it is now!!! (laughed a bit on that one, I know you weren't funnin around at the time)
    Pleclair will be fine, he's already ignored a few. Class act.