[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Forgot to mention, I was playing with different adhesion for the tatoos areas... so if you have the impression that grip is lower a bit while driving over them, and you are actually feeling them, it's normal!

I thought it would add a bit to the realism, since in real life, paint lower adhesion. I used similar value to the paint tdf settings of ISI, but a bit higher grip, since they aren't for the most part new, and a bit erased.

If its something most like, I will likely create 3-4 groups of different adhesion, and assign those newer in appearance to lower grip, and those with a more aged look with higher grip (well, not higher than tarmac, but I mean other tatoos)

2. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Thank you - DL working here - no encryption key needed.

3. vicent-sollana

vicent-sollana Registered

Hi peclair, good work

I think you have a little bug in your trees, I had one time ago,

I made a mistake selecting Stamp instead of billboard on the exporter in the 3Dmax, you must have selected billboard, hope it helps,:)

Cheers

4. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I'll verify this! Thanks for shedding some light on why that was happening.

Althought you went to a remote location that I wasnt aware of, but I've seen it happens at two locations during a lap.

The weird thing is, when I was done swapping all the trees, I had to set the exporter properties.. and thought at first I had to go object by objects, I was going crazy!

Then I noticed I could select multiple and set them all at once, so I just did that. Selected all objects in the scene (I only imported the tree objects in that scene, since I cant import all of it at once), and set them all the same.

I'll have a look at them and report my findings.

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I am getting trees disappearing my right-hand peripheral vision when approaching the F1 track connection area. There are also now many shadows that are disappearing prematurely. I'm sure all these things will eventually get settled, though it may be a ton of work to do so.

The only visual easy fix I would recommend and thought we would be in .90 is the inky black new pavement (in the pit area and along the side of the track where there are connecting roads). At least on my monitor, it appears completely unrealistically and doesn't even look like pavement--it looks like liquid (black ink). There are textures elsewhere for fresh pavement that would work fine.

6. jrg_carrion94

jrg_carrion94 Registered

Thank you pleclair, testing it tomorrow ;)

7. Takumi

Takumi Registered

I did fast test with new camaro at updated 0.9 version. Looks pretty good but I got huge FPS drop compared to last version. With same gfx setups, I can get better performance at ISI:s silverstone which either ain't that good.

8. pemigris

pemigris Registered

+1 happens to me too with my eyefinity setup (with and without multiview setting enabled)

9. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

First track I've used that the spotter actually says 'inside' etc :)

10. pleclair

pleclair Registered

The performance drop is expectable... reflections on the car are added, lots of shadows added as well, plus the clip planes is 8x larger than before.

Everything has a price...

Other than that, not much has changed to hurt performance since the initial road mesh increase seen in 0.80.

On a side note, I've fixed the shy trees!

It wasnt a stamp problem as vincent suggested, I re-exported every trees after making sure all of them were BB'ed, and it was still doing the same.

Then I noticed Mario's tutorial were giving tan and bin value of -1.0 for the gmotor normals, where in ISI's track tech, it doesnt speak of it. So I removed that, set it to 0, was still the same.

Then I noticed after playing with the view in 3dsimed, and going to under the world by mistake, that trees were deep under the ground. So I raised a bunch of trees, and it turns out that every trees that was too deep had that problem.

I got those I was aware of. There might be still other that I dunno.. so if you see any other shy trees, let me know.

Regarding the tatoos, I wanted to remove that part yesterday, and in fact did, wanted to work a bit more on that, to try to minimize the excessive shaking when hitting them in a corner.

But this morning when adding the last shadows, I did a mistake and my scn was corrupted (I edit it manually since I cannot load the scene in 3dsmax, and do these with 3dsimed would take forever)...

So I got a backup, but seems the backup was when I was playing with the tatoos, so it made to 0.90 unwanted.

It also broke the rain spray in rain conditions, since the tatoo is over the road, and cannot be made real road, since it is an actual photograph of the tatoos at Nords, blended in the asphalt texture thru alpha transparency.

I tried to enable real road on them, but they dont appear right when enabled. I havent found a way of blending them properly with it active.

I also changed the paddock tarmac that was too dark! This happened after I swapped the material of silverstone. It seems that the paddock and road side connections were using a texture that darkened too much when mixed with those. Reverted to brianza's.

I'm uploading v0.91 as I speak, will update the first post with the link when online.

11. Tosch

Tosch Registered

That's the price you have to pay for real time reflections.

Some shots at "BrĂ¼nnchen" (6:30am).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. pleclair

pleclair Registered

That's real nice :) I also noticed that a few days ago when driving a quieter car!

13. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Nice shots! Are those made with the previous HDR profile, or is it the updated one you are working on (or done?)

Side note: I had the reflection update at 200 instead of the default 100. It looked so nice! But when I did a race with many AI (like 12-16) I noticed the performance drop was much bigger. Still acceptable for me to play, but I thought that many would have been unhappy... so I took it back down to 100 :)

Looks awesome at 200+ :)

14. Tosch

Tosch Registered

15. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Thanks! Great job as well with the profile! Added to the first post!

The v0.91 is now online. Added to the first post.

Now you'll see how it drives without the extra bumps added from the tatoos. Need to minimize that and keep the grip effect... some shaking expected when sliding over a tatoo and hitting the grippier tarmac... but this was too much... althought I loved the smoother effect while hitting them, and the way you had to take them into account to hit corners properly!

16. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I have tried as much to make sure no trees are floating... but doing this part in 3dsimed wasnt ideal... And my tree scene in 3dsmax wasnt of much help, since its only the trees...

damn need to get more RAM....

If you see any trees floating, let me know... well at least while racing... if you hover around various part and see an isolated tree floating, it doesnt matter.. since the tree objects are a bunch of trees, at various height, and sometimes sprinkled across larger distance, its hard to take them all into account.

17. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hmmm...

False hope... seems the tree problem is still present. Just went a bit further, and seems it didnt fixed it. :(

But its always under the same conditions.. when the tree are sitting too low.. there are hard slopes on some side, with trees quite a bit lower than the road surface... i believe it is a billboard effect when the tree is spinning around to face us... but we arent at the same level.

It did seemed less evident on the first run thru, and I only checked thru the first spot I knew about, and seemed gone (driven even slowly)..

but went thru a lap, and all the places where there are trees lower than the road surface, it does this.

Not sure if I can really fix that...

Now I'm 100% sure that all trees are exported with the settings shown in ISI's track tech. Removed the -1.0 settings on tan and bin.

All trees have been made with the gmaterial tools, so therefor they are all correctly made and have the proper triangulation and everything.

The only difference is when trees are lower than road surface, we see this problem...

18. tjc

tjc Registered

Thanks pleclair... :)

19. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Yes as you spotted yourself there were some trees sinking into the ground as you drove passed them. It's like someone chopping them down as you pass :). Nothing is meant to be simple :D. good news there were not that many i saw. As for the flickering trees, think it's trees that are to close together, simple case of deleting or moving the problem tree.
    Track is looking great. Getting better and better.
    Shame you keep running out of memory. Can no one near you not lend you some extra RAM of theirs? Or could always post a donate link here for us to fund you some more :). I'm sure everyone here wants you to make the best Nords possible.

20. pleclair

pleclair Registered

It would be simple if I had the full scene loaded. With only 3dsimed to orient myself in the scene, and having only the trees in 3dsmax makes it hard to spot the culprit and remove it.

Regarding donations, I thought about it already, but as I'm not really proficient in all this, I don't want people to expect something that I maybe cant deliver.

I know RAM isnt expensive, but DDR2 is a bit more than DDR3, since its no longer used as much... but currently finances dont allow anything in that regard. For that matter, 3dsimed will also expire in 8-9 days or so I think. Started using it the day I started this.

If anyone has some spare DDR2 (2GB+ per stick), this could also work. Dont care about its speed.

I say 2GB+ per stick cause I already have 3x1gb in it, its 4 slots, but 1 died because of my air conditioner earlier this summer. Running with no AC since...

I guess that something around 6GB+ would do it. I have loaded the whole scene in 4 3dsmax file, and with 3GB I can merge two together, the third crashes max.