[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. hoover

hoover Registered

Just extract them to your userdata/player/settings/RING_TOURIST folder. If that folder does not exist, create a setup and save it first.

HTH Uwe

2. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Real simple. thanks!

3. Black Dice

Black Dice Registered

user data/ player/ settings/ Ring_Tourist

4. Black Dice

Black Dice Registered

Too slow :D

5. Black Dice

Black Dice Registered

Thank you Tosch. Profile is very nice

6. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hey guys!

Made some good steady progress today.

Not in the sense of actual work, but general understanding and knowledge!

Mario Morais helped me a great deal in my thread on the billboard trees.

I'm close to start swap them! I created my very first billboard tree, and it worked!

But, and there seems to be always a but (!), I used gMaterialTool from Mario to replace a star shaped tree object to a billboard tree, however, the script is supposed to create it in the location of the old object, but it creates it right in center for me (when the proper box is ticked, which is by default anyway)...

So when I find out with Mario why this is happening, I'll be able to go over each tree and easily replace them with billboard version.

Regarding the 3d ones, I'll see that later on, but I already thought about it. Couples replacing those nearest to track, and which would have the most visual impact. The road mesh is dense... there is already a bunch of polys with this alone. So I dunno how much more the scene can take before performance is impacted.

The update will likely be happening a bit later than I would have liked, but hey I got a lot to learn! Making good progress tho!

But still, it will likely be happening faster than you think, still :) So all good :)

7. hoover

hoover Registered

Take your time pleclair, no need to rush things. Slow and steady does it ;)

Uwe

8. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I'll check it up for when I release the next update. I could send to a file sharing first, and start a seed as well, so people could get it faster, and start seeding on torrent.

Thanks! I'll make sure to update the gdb properly for the next update, so Tosch can finalize the hdr profile!

9. LeStrat

LeStrat Registered

Great news! Thanks mate.

This thread is encouraging me to try to make some conversions. I hope everybody feels the same and the whole community starts moving.

10. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Thats something I have problems with :) When I like something, and that becomes a passion, I can spend ungodly amount of time and efforts on. :)

I like learning as well, and since I cant afford any courses, I like to have concrete stuff to do and learn from.

When I followed the blender intro last year, I ran out of motivation since I wasnt seeing any applications yet.

If I wouldnt be working on this, I would prolly be racing it! Which is good, but I'll do that plenty once its in a more polished state :)

I wanted to get it out sooner, so all people eager could at least enjoy what I have now, until it is almost up to rf2 standards.

11. G.Bird

G.Bird Registered

12. sg333

sg333 Registered

The Camaro GT3 was made for this track; feels so good to drive with some setup adjustments. Responds to the bumps and dips very nicely. A great combo.

Keep up the good work Pleclair, and thanks for the great HDR profile Tosch :)

13. pleclair

pleclair Registered

There are many nice tracks to choose from!

If you follow Spaskis and Mario Morais tutorials, you can easily get started. They did a great job with their respective video.

Also, if I can throw some help, I'll be happy to do so.

If you have absolutely zero experience with 3d software, I'd recommend you seek an intro to 3dsmax or something, to get familiar with the interface style, moving around, assigning materials, etc... and how to works with the multiples elements that makes up a 3d object.

That would help you a great deal to get going, but if you have a little experience, you should be fine. The stuff you need to do to convert involves more patience and determination than knowledge. Cutting the roads and stuff can be daunting if you dont know and never done so, but its really not that hard.

Make sure you pick a track you really like and want to have yourself in rF2, the motivation will be even better :)

14. hoover

hoover Registered

So far, I've found the Megane and the 370z the best cars for this track IMHO. While the Camaro feels good, too, esp. the Megane allows for a much "wilder" driving style here, in the Camaro I feel like I'm tip-toeing around the circuit 80% of the time unless it goes in a straight line ;)

@pleclair: Make sure to attend to your human needs too, we need you ;) What about reporting "pop up bugs", is it worth the effort or will many of them be fixed with the next update?

Cheers & keep up the good work,

Uwe

15. pleclair

pleclair Registered

16. pleclair

pleclair Registered

You mean object pop-in? Someone mentioned it earlier today, and issued the required fix. It's already corrected in the scn file now :)

the clip plane is now set to 6000.

Regarding the cars, I've only tried the clio, camaro, 60s f3, and f2 so far. But I still have hard time doing a lap at a race pace without crashing! If I take it easy, I can, but what's the fun :)

One thing that amaze me with this track, I keep on doing the same mistake more than any other tracks. Usually, when I do something bad on another track, I learn, and hardly ever do it anymore. But with Nords, there are quite a few tricky turns, that leads to roughly the same situation! :)

Definitely a challenge, and I like that!

17. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

did my first test... seemed to have good fps atm and already ok looking.

BES mod Z4 car wasn't probably good choice here becuase it was too bumpy, no joy with my T500RS (probably the car problem because it's early beta). Have to try other cars next time around.

18. RRobert

RRobert Registered

19. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Maybe worth putting Tosch's HDR profile in the first post?

20. sg333

sg333 Registered

I soften the springs and straighten up the camber which makes it grip and ride the road better, but yes the Megane is more 'raceable'. No matter what I drive I get the feeling I'm going to die any second :D