Am I bad at driving or is the FMasters too slow?

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by rfuctor, Jul 10, 2013.

1. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

I'm doing 1-35s at Silverstone (same as AI on 100%) but in real-life, F1 cars can go round there at least 3 seconds faster. Similar story at Sepang.

Comparing with onboard footage, it seems like I just don't have the mechanical grip in the slower corners.

I may not want to know the answer to this but is it me or the car model?

2. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Here's 1:31.8 at Silverstone: LINK

3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

This type of comparison as it is, is useless. Lap time will depend on many things: fuel level, tyre compound, state of the track, setup used, drs enabled/disabled and of course the car and the driver. It is not the same redbull with vettel or marussia with chilton. Apart from that just for curiosity, how much slower do you think you can drive on a 90 second average laptime compared to a professional f1 driver? When you race against well known and recognized top drivers whithin simracing community how much slower are you tipically behind the fastest drivers?

One question for everybody... how much faster than you, do you think vettel, alonso or hamilton could drive in an average 90 second track? It would be good to know as well how much slower than top simracers are you usually in the same conditions?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

4. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Yeah I have raced against guys doing 1:32's even with them sending me their set up I was still a few secs slower...Driver skill dude suck it up :p

5. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

Clearly I need a new setup! That 1.31.8 video is insane, nearly flat through copse and he has the low speed traction that I'm missing. Or has he got traction control on?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There might be exceptions but unless you've got clearly wrong wing settings or a completely imbalanced car a setup is never worth more than a second or two. Chasing a perfect setup will just see you going around in circles, and a year later after you've gained 2 seconds in laptime you can go back to your original one and probably find you're 1.5 seconds faster in that, too.

One thing no one ever seems to do is look at replays - not just other people's, but their own. It's where you can learn the most. (I'm not fast by any means, but a couple of times I've had people watch my driving onboard and say "But I'm doing the exact same thing you are! Why am I slower?" and then I go and watch them and no, they're not doing the exact same thing. They just aren't actually looking at what they're doing...)

7. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

Well from looking at that video, I clearly need more wing and a lot more mechanical grip too. My setup is just a alightly modified default. Because I was able to beat the AI, I thought it was OK.

Does anybody have a link for a decent setup?

8. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yeah, that Spiel and his car is so planted looking, could be that it is a replay, or could be that he is just such a smooth skilled driver. Braking is so perfect too.

I've properly had a couple of hours at Silverstone tonight with the F1, and the best I've got to is a 1:33.3, so 1.5 seconds off. All I could manage to tweak is the usual stuff (brakes, fuel, etc) and tried adding a bit more wings. It did help, but something has to be missing. And obviously there is, as like always, I just end up running the default and trying to make it work XD

9. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

The fastest Formula 1 car at the 2012 British GP was Alonso in the Ferrari at 1'32.16 in Free Practice 3.

Probably would have gone at least 1 second faster in qualifying had it not rained...

In comparison, the fastest Marussia lap for the weekend was also in FP3, Timo Glock at 1'36.605.

10. Takumi

Takumi Registered

It is not all about setup. I made that 1:31.786 with default setup. Only wings were adjusted to maximum angle. It is much more easy to improve your own driving than trying to improve ur setup IMO. Small fuel, well rubbered track and good throttle control is key to fast lap. Silverstone is very hard track to master. If I combine my best sectors, the lap would be 0.3 faster so it is not even close to perfect. Good driver with fine setup should manage to go under 1:31. Real road doesn't work at replays for some reason. Fps is also pretty poor via old Pc

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2013