i5 3570k dilema

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glenner, May 26, 2013.

1. glenner

glenner Registered

hi guys..
    my specs...
    windows vista 64
    vtx3d 7970
    amd 955 black edition 3.2 running at 3.2
    asus m5a88 evo
    8g ram..
    for the last 2 months ive been thinking of upgrading my cpu..looking at the i5 3570k..just want some advice on the extra frame rate i would get just for gaming..not sure what motherboard to get want to spend around £100,so would it be worth the £270 alltogether not sure weather i would notice that much difference...

2. coops

coops Banned

i5 3570k
    asrock z77 extreme 4 mob
    600 or 700 series nvidia

3. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Looking at following chart a CPU upgrade AMD Phenom II X4 955 -> Intel Core i5-3570K should give you ~50% speedup:
    http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu/Intel+Core+i5-3570K+Processor/review

I've upgraded my CPU recently, AMD Phenom II X4 965 -> Intel Core i7-3820. My GPU is a GTX670.
    Speedup depends a lot on the track used. While there are GPU bounded tracks like historic Monaco with ~20% speedup, there are CPU bounded tracks like Sebring with >100% speedup.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

That'll be a good bump man do it

5. smithaz

smithaz Registered

Thanks for the info vittorio. I am also thinking of upgrading to a 3570k from a quad phenom and was thinking along the same lines as the OP. I will probably wait another month and see what the release of haswell does to prices, it perhaps might be worth paying a bit more for haswell.

6. yanaran

yanaran Registered

I upgraded from an old c2d E8400 I think it was called, and there was next to no difference except when running a LOT of AI cars. Unless your old cpu is worse than mine was you'll see very little fps improvement. It's all in the GPU. Definitely not worth the kind of money you're talking about if you only upgrade because of rf2 (I upgrade for other reasons).

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

i5s have good overclocking potential, yet to kick mine up the heatsink but when I do I'll do it alongside my HD7850 to get double the whammy, it'll probably crash RF2 but other games will be just fine!

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yup a ton of cars (like at the start) is very CPU limited.

In RFactor 1 (and other games like GT Legends)...

I remember getting big gains in fps when going from a 6850 to a 6970. However, at the start with a ton of car's the difference was almost none.

I remember going from 8x SuperSampling to 4x and to 2x. Massive FPS differences throughout those settings, however, again, it was barley any different at the start. I was astonished.

Having said that, in RF1 and GTL, I have edited every A.I. car's physics passes per ticks thing in their physics file from 2 to 10. This is supposed to noticeably drop frames and is probably why my frames at the start barely get improved when changing AA settings, or when changing video cards all together.

This is with the following:

- I5-2500K at 4.5 Ghz (sometimes 4.8),

- 4GB patch applied to both games (allows the games to use more than 2GB of RAM)

- Both being set to use all 4 cores (ctrl-alt-del set affinity for GTL, or the +fullproc command line for RF1)

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2013
  9. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Registered

I say get the 3570k. I went from a 975 AMD quad to the 3570k with noticable improvement across the board. Better "per-core" performance, and just smoother. Keep in mind, if you do, of course, you'll need a new mobo, and quite likely new RAM. Your video card seems just fine for performance, and would explode with difference under intel :)
    Also keep in mind, that the Ivy bridge seems to have more temps [temp variability] in general (as rated, the Ivy's can handle up to 105C, which is ridiculous.) However, their OC potential is great, and under minimal load, stays comfortably cool (often cooler than AMD at idle from my experience) Hope this helps.

Edit: also, you'll want to get rid of Vista. go with 7 if you can.

10. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Great overclocker that card. Before I sold it I had my 7850 running at 1200MHz.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Wow nice oc on the 7850 man, how was the performance improvement?

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2013
  12. Uff

Uff Registered

Intel will announce in June its new Haswell CPUs, so I'd wait for them rather than purchase a 3570K now: it would get "old" in a month, even if its performance would still be at the top.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

14. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Going to 1200MHz is around a 40% overclock so as you can imagine very worthwhile.

Very noticeable, particularly in rF2. Just wish I could get my 7950 to 1200MHz now.

15. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Can't see a reason to don't get an I7 nowadays, your budget is enough for it.

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Why swap ram out ram in good running system, sell the AMD combo or throw it in a generic box with GT430 and flog it, recoup the dollars.

Get new 8GB Kit good latency 1.5v XMP

3570K will give you overall smoothness in everything make your whole PC life better, you will do more with your time so it already pays for itself, game boost is just a bonus. :)

Get W7 64Bit Home Premium

17. Duvel

Duvel Registered

new cpus and motherboards coming next week, best wait to see how they are before you upgrade

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Can't see how any extra 3D performance will be worth the extra cost if getting a 3770K is not good bang for buck as it is.

I would rather skip 1st Gen new chipset , don't want some nasty surprises like P67 sata bug.

My 2500K@4.5Ghz runs lower volts, less heat then 3570K.
    Do me into 2014 at least.

19. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

Is there a difference in GPU and CPU loading on different tracks? I've never noticed this. It's always just the green GPU bar that maxes out on some instances.

20. oqvist

oqvist Registered

Thanks. I have a E6600 overclocked to 3,4 gig and a GTX 580 and felt like it should be more the CPU then GPU that holds me back. But maybe not as much as I would imagine. I can´t run HDR just kills performance. nightracing with head light effects is very taxing too. AI cars certainly make for a big hit.

However also mirrors which should be GPU. I will try to hold out until Haswell and maybe find a cheap Ivy bridge by then.