Beta impressions.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sofo, May 22, 2013.

1. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Don't forget DimitryRUS it comes down to shaders and textures as well. Sticking a crap texture on something and turning HDR on doesn't make it look good all of a sudden, be it Racer or rF2.. I think the screenshot Tosch posted looks pretty good to me, if you get good stuff in the engine, good stuff will come out. As always, the more time we put into it the better the tracks will start to look. I'm guessing there isn't a track using the full potential of the graphics engine, by far, since even ISI are still improving stuff.

2. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Enough time passed, and global visual improvements aren't present, a big question when to expect it.

The sore subject of RealRoad, the principle of work clearly, a visual form doesn't change.
    I simply would like to know on what the developers, what points, what in a priority at present work?
    I understand all complexity of a situation but for what was to spoil work of the materials rF1? At this stage with the beginning is faceless and lifeless forms.

My opinion to counterbalance graphics for all, to make it photographic quality as in RF1, to leave only specification and shutdown of shadows if it is required.
    Simplicity guarantee of quality.

3. C3PO

C3PO Registered

The real road darkens too quickly for me as rubber is laid down. At Sebring for example, it nowhere near gets as dark as quickly compared to the 12 hour race in real life.

4. Miro

Miro Registered

OT:

Are you going to kick off another Vette weekend like the last time on Sebring? :D

5. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Agree 100%
    Track converters can't use the old textures from rF1 without adjusting them. In rFactor1 you have to add the sunlight into the texture to give them a realistic look at sunny conditions. If you put these into a hdr engine it will multiply the effect and everything looks overexposed. HDR itself doesn't make everything look good. The texture and the hdr profile have to be well matched. The standard hdr profile from ISI looks ok but it can't be spectacular because it has to work with all tracks and textures. To make it look really good you have to find the limits for the hdr values (and that's damn hard in a constantly changing environment).

Here is a quick example for Palm Beach in devmode. All changes marked in red.

1. All settings at default
    [​IMG]

2. Adjusted hdr values.
    I have lowered the White Point to have a good effect on the brightest objects. In this case the concrete wall. This is the point where most rF1 textures fail because they are to bright.
    Auto exposure is reduced to 1.00
    Added some Gamma to desaturate a bit
    Lowered the scattered lightning (Sky S Lum) to get better contrast and darker shadows
    Lowered the Air Mass to reduce the redish lightning
    Enabled Bloom. The threshold is very low (normally I use 3.5 - 4.0) and the offset is somewhat higher than I use normally (0.05) to exaggerate the effect.
    [​IMG]

3. Wet road on.
    Notice how the road becomes darker but the rest of the scene brighter (concrete wall, autoexposure?).
    [​IMG]

4. Enhanced road reflection
    [​IMG]

5. Lower tubidity setting (the ui doesn't show the value but you can change it for some time)
    Now the scene becomes brighter. Notice the changes on concrete wall.
    [​IMG]

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks Tosch!
    I was actually playing with my road textures the other day, and wondered what the 'enhance reflection' option did, I didn't seem to do anything though. I'll fiddle with it some more later ^^

Reflection is controller through the alpha channel of the road diffuse (T1) right?

7. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Therefore I against different HDR profiles, am the final stage for light correction. Snachalo to adjust work of textures and light without HDR, and the final stage of HDR 1 standard profile for all. Which подлючает refinement of light.
    Your profile will perfectly work in certain time, and at a certain route, this profile will worse work in other time of day.

8. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

AC can be an example, I am sure that there will be no different HDR profiles, but it is surely included for a track, it is impossible to refuse it.

If HDR so "perfectly" improves visual graphics, it is necessary to include surely it for compulsory loading to each track, without opportunity to disconnect.

I for what to balance for all visual lighting. Because now on two computers at the different HDR profiles all looks differently.

9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I'm sure an overcast day on the track could use a different HDR profile than a very sunny and hot day. Maybe it is a nice idea if we can set different profiles for those stages, and as the weather changes, the engine blends between the different profiles for those circumstances. Might be cool, but I think priorities are elsewhere.

Again it is up to the modder. You don't have to take stuff the sarcastic way btw... It is still yet another effect which adds to the experience. Don't like it, turn it off, which is very easy to do.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Can you combine the bright wall and car of pic 4, with the bright ground of pic 5?

11. Tosch

Tosch Registered

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

13. zenrael

zenrael Registered

My god those shots are gorgeous

14. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

What game is that?

15. Bart S

Bart S Member

Nice work Tosch, tho I'd probably end up crashing absorbing how good it all looks.
    Now can you pick a different track with similar lateral location same time of day same car same hdr profile and post the results so we can all see how bad it looks with the same profile. I suspect time, weather and lateral location are the 3 suspects that stand in the way of looking correct.

16. Birddogg66

Birddogg66 Registered

The new build update (218) failed for me so I had to completely uninstall it I cleared the whole docs folder except packages and reinstalled and reinstalled the mods and I must say it feels terribly worse. This makes iceRacing look good. I am very disappointed because before the update I had it somewhat working and now I would have no problem getting my money back. Looks like Assetto very much has a chance at kicking ISI's butt this time around.

17. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

It looks pretty much the same for me as it did pre 218. Mills, portugal and 60s tracks have never looked better.

I think the convoluted install / re-install update procedure causes some of the varied results people seem to have. For instance, I can't get spotter no matter what, never had it, no manner of moving folders, audio levels etc produces any peep. Who knows.

18. Birddogg66

Birddogg66 Registered

Well I did a file verification after I got it back up and running and it had a core path fail so basically I am starting from scratch and feel I have every right to be upset about the situation. I am a bit tired of dealing with these so called beta projects and their problems. SRW has major bugs, R3E is not very good at all, only one that is not giving me fits is project CARS. I guess there is still good old rF1 and Race 07. :D

19. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

Nah, thats fair. The way components and builds are released is a tad frustrating at times with conflict of versions, series etc etc. Just wanted to report that visually latest build shouldn't look worse.

20. Sofo

Sofo Registered

How on earth did you make it look like that?