heres a 15 page thread about rf2 from the iracing forum in 1 post.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gaz Mclean, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

Nope. That thread is just a mix of individual opinions - from very pro rF2 to very against with some staunch rF2 supporters. The Assetto Corsa thread there is even bigger and mostly pro AC. There are plenty of iRacers on their forum ready to give iRacing a good 'kicking', don't you worry about that.

Even many of iRacing's biggest critics have to admit they have a superior online experience. That's what's so annoying - it's the only thing it's really got going for it and it's enough to keep a lot of sim racers. I'd question how much you learn racing with A.I.; they don't react like humans. And the fact that rF2's A.I. haven't got the vaguest notion of the rules relating to dive-bombing (i.e. they think it's compulsory) isn't exactly likely to help things. A.I. is fun, always available and less pressure. It suits me most of the time. But it's not the same.

Erm....well, you've got me with that one. :)

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Agree completely.

3. gabriel666

gabriel666 Registered

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/5381-Interlagos-WIP

If true, personally I love those tracks, overlook :( mentioning the other day with Spray - Sebring that looks fantastic

4. Tony

Tony Registered

What Gjon & his dev team are getting through the various threads in this forum - is valuable feedback, as he realises that most of us here obviously do care about rF2 a lot, ..& love that skinny dancing fella' on the other side of the fence; as soon as I saw him I smiled & thought: great! ..the human touch, oh yea.. & the horses munching the grass at Spa that I've collided with a few times :)

I too tried iRacing for 3 months, then left, as it's just too polished & anodyne for me. I mean.. where are the bugs? where's the dancing man?

Sure you can have more than 1 driving sim on your hard-drive, that's why I've got rF1, rF2 & pCars ..& rF2 is the one I care about & want to shine

5. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

Have iRacing , Pcars and rF2 , Like them all for different reasons . Iracing best tracks and online - Pcars is a great when you just want to race with out worrying to much about getting every input just right allot more forgiving than Iracing or rF2 and it has best looking cars , rF2 great psychics and FF and good AI and should keep improving with both updates and mods .
    Of course all three have their bad points but are all three are being updated and improved , Which will turn out the best in the end ? who knows but seems like there is lots to look forwards to if you like racing sims .

6. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

iRacing is ok to me, don't get me wrong, but I do not like their gouging of the customers. You telling me that I can't even race by myself offline with the track and cars purchased (and not cheap) even if my subscription runs out. It's a principal thing for me if anything else. Plus the physics are not on rF2's level IMO. I do like the FPS are through the roof with iRacing, of course having static graphics probably helps a ton in that department.

7. Dale B

Dale B Registered

+1 Tony ;)

8. Skynet

Skynet Registered

It's early days for rf2, we will only be able to gauge how good it really is when the top modders release there work. Personally im looking forward to any car with physics by Niels, combined with a decent track and a league, Iracing wont be able to touch it. Oh yeah i nearly forgot about Historix, they have 2.0 in the pipeline, really looking forward to that one.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2013
  9. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

I what ? you cant have a side by side door to door race in I racing without getting penalized .. and that right there is NOT racing!

10. Magzire

Magzire Registered

OP is very true.. yet i have a year membership with iRacing but i haven't touch it in a month.. just cant enough of rf2

11. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

12. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

Read that review and had to wander what iRacing the guy was trying because it doesn't sound like the same one I play .

13. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

WOW, someone else actually felt what I felt in the game. Dude nailed one of the things I truly hate about iRacing.

"All road racing cars on iRacing have a tendency to spin wildly out of control in between the speeds of 60mph and 125mph, or, for a much friendlier description, any low to mid speed corner. The sensation is like hitting a patch of ice, and most cars just can’t be saved once this slide starts. On top of this ice patch effect that pops up twice every lap (or more, depending on the track), iRacing tires don’t actually have the proper grip arc that they do in the real world. Tires don’t actually heat up and gain grip on iRacing after X amount of time, but instead provide max grip during the first lap, and then become exponentially more awful for every lap that follows. These are two problems that have plagued all road racing cars to some extent since the introduction of iRacing’s “new tire model” upgrade a few years ago, and entire road racing series have been abandoned because of it. Every road car is skittish and damn near uncontrollable, with even the top ranked drivers complaining about cars being downright awful."

The weird thing about it you can blaze through a track balls out damn near and if you can do that with every turn then you're golden. But once you have to do what I consider "real racing" like navigate a turn properly and use proper throttle control the physics seem to fly out the window.

It's like the cars have aero grip from heaven but mechanical grip the equivalent of ..

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2013
  14. Spadge

Spadge Registered

Does iRacing have working pit stops and tyre wear yet? And do you still get magical speed if you brake with the gas full on?

I played it a while back, and while I enjoyed it plenty, it felt like for what they were charging every month it was a very incomplete sim.

Also, the on-track behaviour of other drivers was no better (or worse) than anywhere else. Start at the back, dodge the T1 pileup, win the race.

The "OMG Which Sim R Bettar!!???" and "LOL ur sim sucks!!!!1" topics have been a part of the rFactor community since back when LFS and RF1 were new. But hey, guess what: you can pick one, or both, or neither. They are different enough to not be directly competing for a monopoly on all sim racing.

15. BRunzilian

BRunzilian Registered

TBH...

I've purchased a license on iRacing for one year, and I didn't drove it for even three hours.
    The simulator didn't "pushed me" with it's core, I couldn't feel atracted to it.
    pCars it's more like "meh" aswell.

When I first booted up rF2... felt immediately in love. Assetto Corsa recently aswell!

16. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

Never really seen the point the my sim better than your sim arguments , I'd rather just enjoy them all . But you always get people that like to trash "rival sims" hence you get "reviews" full of misinformation .
    Re iRacing behaviour - it can be like that in unofficial races and the rookie series but I find that in official races most people are fine and race respectfully .

17. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Although this is not the iRacing forum I´d like to say, people complaining about bad conduct especially on track should make more use of the protest facility. The safety rating system can only do so much and cannot put blame on either party.
    I had a week, when I sent as many as 8 protests and I have seen the drivers I protested behave much better after that.

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

All that matters here is 1 thing....that RF2 has the best overall physics, discussion over, bye :)

It's a simulation after all. A sim/training tool first, game second. At least in my books it is.

EDIT: Plus, remember when Tim said that ISI will start to market RF2 once they are more happy with it?? Well it's not even at that point yet! Discussion really over now.

EDIT 2: Oh ya, and the price to performance ratio so INSANELY favors RFactor 2. $85 for RFactor 2 vs hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of dollars (literally) for a sim that has WORSE physics (iracing). Yep, discussion REALLY over now, ciao ciao! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2013
  19. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Agreed, nothing to add to that. :)

20. Spyder

Spyder Registered

Whilst RF2 has iRacing beat on physics that's something that I'm certain iRacing can improve. Sadly I don't believe RF2 will ever be able to match iRacings online component or ease of running races.

I have loved running in the Skip Barber divisional championship and sharing race experiences and tips within its separate sub forum. And Monday nights is my league racing night, run from a tab on the iRacing home page, where I will be sharing the grid with 40 other UK&I drivers. No worries about mods or any of that rubbish, and flawless performance (120fps+ with triple screens) considering the size of the grids ...

[​IMG]

I still check in with RF2, and I'm always impressed by its feel but ultimately with my limited amount of sim racing time I just want to 'Race' and that's where iRacing has this sim beaten, hands down, and I can't see that changing.