heres a 15 page thread about rf2 from the iracing forum in 1 post.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gaz Mclean, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Gaz Mclean

Gaz Mclean Registered

This basically rounds up a 15 page disscusion going on at iracing forum.
    i also believe this is what 80-90% of the sim racing community thinks also, i know i do too.

"I entirely agree with the guys above.

I got RFactor 2 around 6 months ago. Since the beginning, I was really impressed with the physics and force feedback. They felt a bit ahead of iRacing's, and they gave me a better immersion overall.
    But yet, I find the the overall package of RFactor 2 is very bad.

Graphics, they are nothing special, quite basic. Colors are very unnatural, too bright and cartoony, a bit like F1 2011.

Lighting is OK, but a bit basic as well and also a bit buggy.

Sound is pretty good although certainly not better than iRacing's, if not worse.

Track modelling, coming from iRacing, my initial reaction was "Yeiks, that looks pretty bad". The included tracks are OK, but even these are not so great. Look at Malaysia, already in turn 3 there is a missing curb on the right. Why? Many things on these tracks just seem out of proportion and the overall look of the colors and lighting of the tracks is not that great as well.

Mods: it's something I never really liked. It makes your game a complete mess. And above all, 90% of the mods are absolutely horrible pieces of crap. Just take some mod tracks for example. I've got around 40 of these installed right now, and so far I've only found 3 of them that I liked: Monza, Hockenheim, and Imola 2006. The rest, is complete rubbish, might as well be tracks from a PS2 game. The tracks are full of graphical bugs, the overall modelling is just bad, and many of them are full of big bumps, and some are even stolen from Codemasters' F1 games.

Online gameplay: bad, very bad. Reckless driving, but that's not even the drivers' fault. RFactor 2 provides no proper virtual mirror. Or at least, not one that gives you a good view of what's behind or besides you. Often when somebody overtakes you, you'll spot him too late and collide, and in the contrary when you attempt to overtake someone the guy in front of you doesn't spot you soon enough as well.
    Secondly, for some reason in online sessions, I often see big clouds of smoke on track in the braking zones.
    Overall, online gameplay is bugged with connection issues and other problems.

Despite I definitely think iRacing can learn something from the physics of RFactor 2, I can say that any time, I will prefer iRacing over RFactor. iRacing lacks a few things, but we all know the overall package is absolutely outstanding, and simracing wouldn't be the same without these guys. RFactor 2, is a game with potential, but lacks so many things that I will definitely not use the final game if no big changes will be made. And from my past experiences, I know that the final version often doesn't turn out much different from the beta version."

2. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Talking about the tracks, have you tried Feels3's tracks...there way above most tracks in rF2...stunning infact.

3. dsuspense

dsuspense Registered

Simple problem, ISI seems to be focusing on too many things at once and not seeing any one thing to completion.
    So we have half-baked stuff all across the whole sim.

4. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

He forgot RF2 has (or will have) dynamic weather and full night / day cicles. A small but huge difference between than. One thing is to set the light and shadows for a static condition and a much more hard job is to do the same for variable conditions based in the time of the day and weather condition.

5. sg333

sg333 Registered

I agree with this. Nothing released so far is finished or bug free, and just keep adding more half-finished stuff. The rain for example, is a complete mess.

6. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Totally, also, seems like everyone is forget about Real-Road, just that feature blows any other sim, always you have cars and tracks, just in RF2 the track is "alive".
    Im not a fanboy, and i criticize the mod system, the mods, the graphics but the hardcore part of simulation, ie: you driving the car in the track have no comparison. Sure the time will tell.

7. dsuspense

dsuspense Registered

FFB and Real-Road are two things this sim has hand over fist over all other sims I have played...
    Definitely something they focused on and got spot on.
    Hopefully they will get all other things working to this level soon.

8. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

43.99$ plus a small fee every 12 months. In the next coming years community made content/tracks/mods/cars to fill your hdd, some bad, some good, MOSTLY FREE, Compared to hundreds of dollars on iRacing.

9. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Tracks and visuals are up to modellers.. The RF engine can easily rival Iracings visuals with some great modellers and graphic artists working on content. (this is not RF teams forte, althought they do a great job at it).. pay some visual artists 100k to develop some good textures to apply to some excellently modelled tracks and you will get it...

IRacing has large $$$ incomes and hence they can afford this constant outlay (Bonus of subscription model). The mod community is good and has some excellent aspiring talent, but quite often these guys then get jobs in the industry and have to cease work on their content.

Physics are way ahead of IR - as almost all agree.. The content will come, but until their is maintstream incomes i dont like the chances of seeing it early or until the modders up their skills.. We are all learning and our content gets better each iteration.

10. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

84$ one time for life FTW.

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

That fact alone, even if iRacing was better than any other sim for me, i would not use it.

12. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

This is my issue with rF2 (re: half-baked features). Don't get me wrong, I really like the physics and realistic aspects like weather, time of day and track evolution, but ultimately the game is full of half-finished ideas. With respect, I'm not sure why ISI have released an RC car mode when there are issues that have gone unresolved since the beginning.

13. Panigale

Panigale Banned

FWIW - Most guys at my local tracks never heard of rF2 or any sim for that matter and have little interest in trying them. I think that will start to change as the upcoming crop of track day fans, myself included, are a bit more computer savy. rF2 has it where it counts.

14. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

It's a private project they made for fun and have no direct relation with the rF2 development. I'm thankful they provide it personally :)

15. Paddler

Paddler Registered

I am (or was) also a user of iracing. Have not touched in month since I got hold of rf2! A much much better driving experience for me! I was not impressed by the physics of iracing. Expected much more of that kind of a team.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2013
  16. Tosch

Tosch Registered

With respect. The RC car mod is a private project and not released by ISI. I sometimes wonder. Do you believe ISI devs have no spare time or better they shouldn't have spare time before rF2 is finished?

17. vittorio

vittorio Registered

This probably was a mod done from someone at ISI with RC car interests in his leisure time, or maybe a result of testing the rf2 physics core with some extreme test data. Anyway it's a nice gift from ISI.

18. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

+1

19. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Allways good to compare sims, doesn't make us or them fanboys by default. if we remain critical as users on both ends we might help push the developers working harder on their products. profit for all :)

But to mention the mods in rfactor vs iracing is a flawed discussion. both sims behave by design, iracing is closed, rfactor is open. consequently both sims suffer from the consequences and profit from its benefits.
    Because even when a track is missing a curb or whatever else can be wrong, at least we get to drive on them and I dunno about others but I for one don't have a photographic memory and will easily miss those details.

As for mods, sure there's crap out there, comes with the territory, but it looks to me the guys mentioning it didn't know what he was doing if he installed horrible pieces of crap. it doesn't take much effort to determine if a mod/track is good/bugged/going to cause problems. just watch what people have to say about.
    If someone is randomly installing unknown stuff like a madman, then yes, problems are imminent. but that has nothing to do with the sim itself.
    Anyone can create content for rf, that's the beauty of it. so yes, there will also be crap. so what lol.

Regarding online gameplay, yeah, the iracing rating system prevents them from being 'too' retarded. which is of course a good thing. but it aint exactly 100% perfect either.
    I have been in discussions about rfactor rating systems many times and one thing is clear, its not exactly easy to come up with something that actualy would work. unless you go the iracing route and make it a closed system. which is not going to be done with rf2.
    But still, imo ISI could and should try to focus more on somehow forcing a better code of conduct online. Forcing drivers in a non-lethal way will instantly improve rf2 massively.
    How, I am not sure anymore. I thought I was, but after all the discussions we have had about it not anymore.

Anyhow, its all about preferences I think but ultimately simracing enthusiasts will most like use both/all products as there is little reason to stick with only one sim and then start shielding it like console users do because one fps game has more sparks then the other :p

20. gabriel666

gabriel666 Registered

My experience: is I told a friend who had to rf2 saw my photos, videos ... and was interested, I said you have to try iRacing too. payment of these promotions iRacing ... I think 12$ for three months, and tried it, did not attract much indeed physics and FFB in iRacing. inches to the days came to my house and in my pc rf2 proved a logitech momo steering wheel very used (mine) ;) and really liked him, and I mention that attracted much more than iRacing. good after 3 days it was purchased 43.99$ license.
    I know that if I notice and apologize not mean any harm or anything, but it's too slow the process, and that is pretty big against RF2 is consuming too many resources, which greatly improved since the first build, I have it from the monte carlo start and never could run decently...to build 146 or 156, can not remember but it was in one of those two, I will not give up with ISI, I can not afford to spend around $ 150 per year in iRacing.
    The tracks, I think the best thing is to feels3, is something really beautiful drive in those places, look incredibly well and consumes almost no resources, and look forward to Interlagos'm sure not going to have anything to envy to iRacing :cool: