New Mod Manager

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F1 2004, Feb 18, 2013.

1. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

One way to see it. Anyway, there is probably going to be some good things coming then :)

2. coops

coops Banned

a lot of good things i hope. and some surprises would be great too.

3. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Keep trying! Don't give up!

;)

(and then let us know what was there)

4. GauchoRS

GauchoRS Registered

the new Mod Manager should include the handling of the pitcrew as component (.rfcmp) as part of a multi-component.

5. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Thank you for adding the delete button.

DJC

6. maatriks

maatriks Registered

After installing the new 156 build I got new mod manager that I am not completely fond of. I cannot see any reason why it would be not possible to resize the window taller in order to show more Mods/Components in one view. I have 2560x1440 display and I would like to be able to have more Mods/Components in one view (current max: http://i.imgur.com/BpHEqDY.png).

I cannot remember if one could resize the old window, but there was more room for Mods/Components, so it did not bother me.

7. Vis

Vis Registered

I think there should be a 1-click-button to install all mods and updates available in selected folder.
    So that I could launch it, get back after 5 minutes and have all done.

8. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Would be good if we would see in what mods some components are in use... (now it just says that in use in x mods but it does not tell what those mods are).

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

One thing I noticed Dunsfold Park that is updated you can't see files /mas size of the first version.

10. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Agree 100%. Previous version we were able to resize the window, and I think it's really needed here due to number of lines to display.

saying that, I really like the new version of this tool, great work :)

11. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

It does, sort of.
    Click on a component then the Uninstall button and you should get something like this....

70sGlen v0.8 cannot be uninstalled - in use by 6 mods:
    -IsR-GT-1-09- v1.09
    -IsR-Lola-1-09- v1.09
    -IsR-Skippy-1-09- v1.09
    1960s-CARS-INC-MIRROR-FIX v1.09
    SR4L-1960-F2-League-Mod1 v1.0
    SR4L_Fun_Event_Rnd_2 v1.0

12. Max

Max Registered

yea new version of Croft released today, and cannot uninstall old track as it in use by Lola? I laughed. How do you proceed here? Aside from just removing it from the locations folder? And when removed manually, the Lola mod is damaged.. Perhaps we should be able to check the boxes and decide which tracks can be listed with a mod? This is the plan with this new manager, no?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
  13. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

@Max, The 1st post of the Lola thread they provided a version that is component only with no links to tracks. If it's that much of a problem to have 2 versions of a track installed go get it.

14. Max

Max Registered

cool, thanks. I didn't think to check there. I thought there would be a component version at some point.. Slow on the uptake today. Thanks buddy

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I would suggest one tip to all people having problems with components included in other mods. First of all, however, I will give my opinion about the "root" problem which has caused all these problems: the multifunctional mod concept.

The problem arrives when putting into the same package two or more independent components being one or more of them not referenced, but original content. ISI made a very nice multifunctional mod concept but did not provide suffcient information of how to use this tool. From the beginning the "referenced component concept" was implemented (some mods referenced circuits installed with other mods). However, ISI failed to correctly use it and started provoking all this mesh: The released huge size mods with more than one track and vehicles in the same package. How should have it done? Releasing independent mods for vehicles without any referenced or fully included track in them and with tracks as independent components and afterwards explaining how to create a virtual mod to play online/offline.

Now, instead of doing things the right way, they have invented a new concept, the "multicomponent mod" which in my opinion does not provide any improvement since things could be done correctly with previous tools without the need to complicate evrything more with a new unnecessary entity. Now let's go with the tip... :)

TIP

I have succesfully managed to independently install a component (vehicle in this case) which was included in a mod that referenced a track that was included in another mod. Someone will think it is a tongue-twister but no. Actually, I am talking about installing Nissan 370Z without having to install and update the required mods to get the required 4 tracks. At least FR3.5 is required and I am not sure if additional mods are required as well. The new mod manager is for sure nicer but still does not provide a essential info to help users identifying the original components: PLEASE ISI INDICATE IF A COMPONENT IS INCLUDED OR REFERENCED. Actually there are two ways to proceed to "create independent component" packages.
    [​IMG]

1) Let's call it "the clean way": Create a new mod including just a component (not referenced). If done with a track or a vehicle, the equivalent to a rfcmp component would be achieved. For sure, this needs to be done by someone that has the component installed before other people can use it. It is quite useful to organize league online competitions and ease the downloading/installing procedure for beginners.
    Example: This mod installs the Nissan 370Z but requires having since it was as independent component Pocoyo 1.05 http://www.racerfactor.com/DESCARGAS/Rfactor2/Mods/RR_Nissan_370z_Pocoyo_1_0.rfmod

2) Let's call it "the hacker way": Make a zip file with the same folder structure that is used within the "installed subfolder" within rf2 root directory. For a track you just need to copy the locations folder and the track subfolder. For a "vehicle multicomponent",vehicle, sounds and talent are required. As before, this zip file needs to be prepared by someone having the component installed.
    For example this file https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6587895/Installed.7z insatalls as well the Nissan but without going through mod manager. You need to unzip it in rf2 root folder (where your installed folder is)

MY WISH. Everything would be much nicer if components could be extracted from a mod package into a new rfcmp for tracks. For vehicles I guess the first option I present is the way to create a multicomponent mod so nothing would be really required.

16. DocJones

DocJones Registered

ISI have announced that all cars and tracks will be released as individual components. Both new and existing content that is.
    In the future the only mods we will have to deal with, imo, will be vmods.

17. JGraf

JGraf Registered

select "VIEW" from the top menu, un-check "SHOW DETAILS"... PooF', full window, but with no more unexplained right-clicking for details issue it had.
    seems better to me.

18. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Yeah, better, but you can't maximize the windows whatever choices you make in View Modes...Anyway, thanks for the tips! :)

19. JGraf

JGraf Registered

no, can't go full screen, never could before... but now ya can (custom) manipulate the height/width with different fonts/sizes.
    fits pretty nice.
    View attachment 6563