To much on " the back burner"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scottishHERO, Jan 13, 2013.

1. scottishHERO

scottishHERO Registered

Pits crew .. detailed pit stops ( at the moment .. a red light)
    Tyres..
    podium celebration.. told we are getting some kind of celebration podium? ( simple is fine)
    cars.. ( go carts , rally etc )
    track..

i could go on

all on " the backburner" .. understaffed? to much not being worked on ?

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Pit crew animations are slightly more complex for us than others. We don't control the cars modders make, but we have to try to make a pit crew which works with most types of them.

Tires will be updated, added to and refined for years. Probably going to have to get used to that one. Racing teams develop understanding over decades, so have/do we. If we were "one and done" you wouldn't be getting as realistic a simulator as you probably expect.

Who said there would be a podium celebration?

Yes, cars and tracks will be added for years. Probably going to have to get used to that one, too.

None of the above really. Understaffed means understaffed, we have staff, and work the speed and way we do. This is how it is, how it has been (including with rFactor1), and how it will be. It is an ongoing development, as far from a boxed product (left to rot) as it could possibly be.

Look at any product that is well supported, for me that would be mostly MMOs, because they release updates, add content, add features, etc. Then look at other products like maybe the X3 series. They all alter their products long after release. Is that because they had most stuff on the 'back burner' or because they just updated their product? I understand that there's things not yet implemented, but it's very important to understand some of these things will be updated for YEARS (as they were with rF1). The car and track comments: The negative spin to getting free updated content for years, without MMO pricing, never ceases to amaze.

3. tjc

tjc Registered

Mmm... Imo I`m not sure a sim needs a podium celebration but I don`t think I`ve ever heard talk of one anyway...

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

5. coops

coops Banned

who cares about the content that will take a long time to reach rf2.
    more concerned on what ISI thinks is left to finish to get us to gold. EG: tyres, collision, mechanical, graphics, physics, ECT...????
    OH and some kind of time frame 2013 or 2014 ?

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

podium celebration..
    interviews by journalists..
    Ive seen this before, DVD is gathering dust on my desktop..

7. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I agree with the OP. I agree with Tim too.

But development of this game has occurred on a glacial time scale. The last couple of updates took a long time to get here (125 and 134 were almost back-to-back but the update before was a long time before) and have been relatively minor from our end. Yeah there were some important bug fixes but the major gameplay additions we've been waiting for are nowhere to be seen. I'd like to see some of these back-burner items fully cooked and on my plate.

As it is right now, rFactor 2 is still the best feeling sim on my HDD- it's driving me nuts that many modders are waiting for the game to be finished (WTF does that mean in light of Tim's post?) before they mod for it.

In light of this:
    I want modders to hop on the bandwagon ASAP because ISI is not going to get the content out quickly. At what point is "done" done enough for the modding community?

8. Golanv

Golanv Registered

9. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

Egosoft are certainly one of the best for this - so many free updates over the years.

And speaking of the X series I can't wait for X Rebirth to be released - it's one of the few big PC only games due out this year, along with Arma 3. Both those games have had their releases pushed back a number of times, and there's still no set date.

I think we just need to accept that this is how it is - if you're looking forward to very complex games/sims with a lot of depth and customization/modding potential you're just going to have to wait until the developer feels it is ready for release, and unfortunately more often than not it's going to take longer than anyone (customer or creator) hoped it would.

May they all be well worth the wait! :cool:

10. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I'm not sure about the Back burner, what about what's on the Front burner i.e the fix for Monaco and its invisible building? the screenshot teasers of the Corvette and others? Is an update due soon?
    Now that ISI have removed the Beta "tag" does this mean all the tracks and cars modders have been waiting to release when the sim goes gold are coming? Like Topgear for example? And what about the current state of released modded tracks, with many modders stating the next updates will be when the sim is comlete, but from what i can make out the sim will never be complete and constantly evolving, which is great but kinda puts modders and general users like myself in limbo.
    I'm holding off pc upgrades until the crop of next gen sims are released :D

11. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

As for modders holding back it's all down to two things - available set of features and backward compatibility.

Modders may need some specific suspension type support for example.
    There are also some features already available, but not yet working as expected, so modders leave some work unfinished.
    You could say they're not waiting for any specific release, but for some features to be finished.

As for backward compatibility it's a bit trickier. You can create a mod that looks, sounds and acts the way you want, but along comes new build and things are different - not to your liking anymore. Modders don't want that.
    Release of boxed / gold version of rFactor2 would pretty much mean features are stable. For example - ISI would no longer be fiddling with shaders, because that would break their own content. But as long as ISI is constantly making changes, you cannot be sure you will not have to make constant updates to your mod as well.

12. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

The game is probably not even close to the state that modders have been expected... I think we will notice that state when there will be lots of stuff coming/started as WIP from modders (other than track conversions :p).

I wonder how I always end up playing these huge potential but long term project games. I must like to torture myself.

At the moment, my biggest complaint is that there is not enough people online playing this game. When rf2 is more complete then there are more for sure. Another reason to want updates faster. At the moment there are usually just few server each with few players when I try to play online. And none of them drive with the cars I like (not much Nissans, Clios or Meganes out there). Some Lolas tough. Btw, I would love to see more skins for Nissans (both 370Z and GTR). Is there some now?

I would also hope that the AIW files would be looked at so that we have option to drive against the AI on more than just few tracks (on most of the tracks AI has unreal grip, stupid braking points or just too slow overall). Would appreciate it. Kyalami is great example of good AI.

13. Golanv

Golanv Registered

New smileys for the forums!!! *holding breath* :eek:

14. Craven Morespeed

Craven Morespeed Registered

New here. I have been on roads such as now being traveled. I've found that some sort of medicinal product really helps. I've also noticed the smileys are modeled all wrong on this forum. I mean for a free forum you could do better...ok, I'm done.

15. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I like you.

16. gotBurner

gotBurner Registered

I will be happy to get to a point where we can see modders putting out their content, because for me it is their content Im reallly looking forward to. Right now rF2 has maybe 20% of its cars be of any interest to me.

17. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Yeah it is a shame that it was mostly open wheelers that came of the line first, but that was just how it panned out. I await with severe impatience for the BTCC car :D