FPS and Mirrors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Miro, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I did that in rF1, while running Dx7. Set it to 15 or 20 metres I think. The key was to always be going fast enough that you didn't have to worry about cars 30m behind you ;)

From some of the reports on here though, the FPS drops being experienced are less about the actual load of what's being drawn in the mirrors, and more that the mirrors are on at all. If that's the case setting the back clip to 60 (or even 20) may not have much effect - and any track with visgroups set up in the normal way doesn't have all that many objects being drawn anyway.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Dragging this thread up again, to report similar findings here. (I haven't done much non-devmode driving, and wasn't worried about FPS etc, so have only just tried settings and tweaking...)

On ISI content so as to be sure of normal results, on a GTX295 running dual-GPU, FPS change between mirrors off and (any) mirrors on was 110-60 at one point on the track, 80-42 at another.

Looking at a GPU monitor the GPUs average 50% at all times when turning mirrors on, if I switch mirrors off they get up to around 70-80% utilisation each.

I might try playing with some mirror settings but judging by the other posts in this thread I'm not too hopeful.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Right, one more update on my test results.

First, my base results above were HDR on, multi-GPU mode on, details medium-high and 1920x1080 res, for what it's worth. GPU is GTX295, other specs probably less important since it's relative results I'm looking at here.

Tried every mirror or obscure graphics setting in the [ Graphic Options ] PLR section with no change to the mirrors-on vs mirrors-off situation. (ok, setting the rear vision back clip to 5m did give me a few more FPS, but obviously made the mirrors useless anyway so I'm just losing FPS without gaining anything ;))

Sitting in the pits at Lime Rock Park in a Camaro, mirrors off | mirrors on:

HDR on: 115 | 52
    HDR off: 120 | 60
    HDR on, all minimum details: 180 | 150
    Single-GPU mode, HDR on: 72 | 66
    Single-GPU mode, HDR off: 85 | 75
    Single-GPU mode, HDR on, min details: 130 | 116

So, it certainly seems the mirror effect is exacerbated by multi-GPU mode, potentially equivalent to running SLI? Either way it seems likely I need to race with quite low details in order to keep the framerates high enough to stay fairly smooth (the combination of pitlane location at LRP, and the pitlane LOD multiplier, make other parts of the track more demanding and I get fewer FPS).

I can't say I ever tried back to back mirror tests in rF1, but some of these differences seem a little extreme especially with multi-GPU mode on.

*Should also be said the overall framerate may affect the relative performance with multi-GPU on; maybe for whatever reason when it gets above a certain figure (let's take 120FPS as a hypothetical) it reduces the performance loss in some way. If I was that keen I might try performance variations at different tracks/locations in order to gauge what difference the start FPS might make, but I'm not that eager just yet...

**Second note: I'm running in Windowed mode.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2013
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, one final post.

The key for my setup is Road reflections. On 'Low' turning mirrors on halves my framerate (multi-GPU). With Road reflections completely off I only had about a 10% FPS drop when turning the mirrors on.

5. Antonio_MHO

Antonio_MHO Registered

I have Ati, and I lose 10/20 fps when the mirrors are working. Never mind that mirrors are activated. I have modified the file. plr but I get nothing.
    In this moment I use RF2 without mirrors, because I lose a very valuable fps.

Sorry for my bad english.

6. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

I can't believe ISI can't figure out a better method for the mirrors... I've about given up on rFactor 2 because of the crap frames you get.

7. Scott Beck

Scott Beck Registered

I'm with you on that! FIX THE MIRRORS PLEASE.

8. Bruno Siqueira

Bruno Siqueira Registered

I do not feel drop fps with mirror except in Portugal in the Pit and in some other places of the track falling absurdly from 90 to 9 :mad:

9. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

My question would be (considering Lazza's post) Why should mirrors include road reflections??

Ahhh, just dump this post. I was thinking that road reflections in mirrors was the problem, it's mirrors plus road reflections that causes drop.... too early on a Saturday morning!

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Probably a silly observation but las night using the 60'2 F2 I realised the whole under-car-body functions as a mirror as well. as in reflecting the environment almost 1:1

Would this be the same principle as mirrors? i.e. rendering the environment twice?

11. Xzanman

Xzanman Registered

In the six years,since the last post,is there any users with advice on this subject? Im running a 120hz ultrawide monitor,with a 2080 super,all settings on high.I experience 30-40 fps difference between mirrors on vs mirrors off.(I dont always need those extra frames,but would be nice to have them when needed,such as race starts) I would prefer not to lower road reflection setting if possible,especially if someone can give a easy fix. thanks in advance for any help on this subject.

12. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

in the json there should be some options to control the details in the mirrors.
    I have no idea how much room for improvements you can find there. i am using "look behind" since ages for this, one reason is that i do not like the framedrops of the mirros which we have since f1 2000 either.

13. Xzanman

Xzanman Registered

I've tried the json file settings,but they didnt help,but thanks for the reply.

Gonzo likes this.