Tripple screens Oh Dear

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pits, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Very true Knight, hehe, I use a single HD 6950 2Gb card and run triples with muti-view on. granted I don't get huge fps, but it is smooth for the most part so I don't worry too much about it.

2. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Yes I don't worry my head about FPS anymore, as long as it plays smooth enough to...well...play that's me happy. I did chase the best FPS then just played, because every update changes things. Admittedly I seem to be one of the lucky ones who's system seem to be rF2 friendly...mostly...:rolleyes:

3. MrPix

MrPix Registered

I think you are just trying to pick a fight as how you put it was the context in which I wrote it. I didn't demand he follow my example, but it is well documented that both SLI and Multiview are both not optimised yet, hence my comment, so please wind your neck in.

But no matter what I do, I can't get higher than 24fps on MV with HDR as I said so you must be doing something right that I am not.

Have a nice day.

4. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Looks fairly unequivocal to me...F1 is not a man to pick a silly fight on a forum, he can be a little...blunt, but he is from the other side of the pond. :)

5. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

I'm far from picking a fight here.

You put the word "off" in bold + underline + italics... that's a pretty definitive statement and anyone passing through this thread that doesn't have much technical knowledge (which is a relatively high percentage of users in sim racing, I find) would see that and think "woah... multiview must be really, really bad".

The reality is that it works well for some users and not others. We're all testers here and everyone should be encouraged to be testing every option to see how it works for them.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2012
  6. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Apologies, I don't want to fight either, but I did find your post aggressive. I was trying to point out that that is how I have it, the only way for me to get decent frames.

I should have phrased it better for our non-native English speaking and less able to interpret fellows...

So, for any one passing.... I can only get 24FPS with Multiview on with HDR.... if I turn it off, the world of FPS is my oyster!

That better ;)

7. Craig Booth

Craig Booth Registered

I'm on triples with 2x GTX 580 and get over 60-100+ fps on most tracks. However when I use HDR the fps are locked around 30 fps, no matter if ai are on track or what other settings I have they never go over 30 fps. Turn off HDR and then let me know what fps you get.

8. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

The cards are the same model from the same manufacturer I hope ? Otherwise this may be causing your issues. we have guys running rigs with tripples on 560's and they are running good fps with no issues.

9. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Not trying to be argumentative here MrPix, but the way you phrased your statement, even native English speakers would read it as you saying absolutely turn it off, as it doesn't work, which is not true. I would know this because I am a native English speaker ;)

10. MrPix

MrPix Registered

I Give UP! all I was try to say to the OP was if you have Multiview on... turn it off... you may get better frames... I do!

I'm not trying to be argumentative either Jim... just trying to help the OP get better frames from my experience and seemingly being attacked for my lack of Forum Grammar!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2012
  11. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

If only everyone spoke english proper ..... like what I do :)

12. tjc

tjc Registered

lol... :D

13. Gogs Dunlop

Gogs Dunlop Registered

like, are you running softth to get the 3 screens to work with RF2, i've been waiting for the "Configure Sim" resolution box to allow me to select 4800x1200 at every new build, but it doesn't happen.

14. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Registered

My question is.....as I am thinking about diving into this pool....can one expect to run 3 24" 1920x1080 monitors on a 6870x2 1gb and a single 6870 1 gb in Xfire. I am currently running RF2 on just the 6870x2 on a 28" 1980x1200 monitor and all is very smooth and driveable. RF1 works beautifully as well....but I do not want to throw money at the triple screen thing if I am going to be left struggling the frame rate issues. I do understand that the software needs to be optimized.....but it would be nice to know that upon a gold release we (I) could expect good frame rates (60 min) with my setup.

15. MJP

MJP Registered

I'd be more concerned about running into VRAM limitations with only 1GB @5760x1080.

16. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Very true MJP, with only 1Gb on the primary card, there will be issues with running out of graphics ram as the textures and such chew it up. Too bad they don't make cards with the ability to use all of the ram on each card instead of just what is on the primary.

The way graphics cards are designed at the moment, we would be better off if they sold secondary cards with just enough ram to accommodate what is required to actually process what it needs and just use the space for additional GPU's on the card. For instance, being able to purchase a triple GPU card that can only be used as a secondary to your primary graphics card would be nice and probably cheaper than 3 full blown cards.

17. Bart S

Bart S Member

I really wouldnt bother with 1GB, 2GB of VRAM isnt enough but it depends on your AA level multiview, HDR, track and car. At AA level of 4 on my GTX680 i use 1.4gb min and past 2gb using same settings just tracks and cars can make the difference so annoying. I constantly play with my AA level and overclock to achieve 50-60fps at 5910x1080. Its a shame we still need more power than a 680GTX can provide pumped.

18. Bart S

Bart S Member

It would be even better if you could upgrade your ram in the GFX card as you can on your mobo.

19. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Registered

Hmm...ok thanks guys. It is really hard to wrap my head around not being able to have 3 gpu's drive 3 monitors...seems that the video card makers have us all duped..... :(

20. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

With Eyefinity, it is basically turning 3 monitors into 1, and with crossfire or SLI you are turning 2, 3 or 4 GPU's into one as well. You have to stop thinking of them as separate or it will drive you nuts :)