Tripple screens Oh Dear

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pits, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Pits

Pits Registered

Here we go again, I got rid of tripples at the start as SLI was hopeless (didn't work) so got a 40" TV, all good and got even better, I even got excited with the frames of the last 2 builds.

It was with confidence and no trepidation I went and bought 3 screen 2 days ago knowing all was good now, a new 670 nvidia card so no SLI problems to deal with.

It's hopeless now, frames say 30-40 but looking at the slideshow/shimmering/stalling I have ...this is so disappointing, Ive turned stuff down, FXAA and HDR (what ever that is) to no avail..whoa is me, if it didn't look so good in RF1 and PCars I'd be hocking them off and reinserting the 40".

I refuse to go though another series of frustrations and put RF2 aside till I see it fixed, this is indeed a shame as it's a cracker little race game but just unplayable.

................................................... IT'S not MY Fault........................................................
    I7@3.2
    16 gig ram
    Brand new 670
    128 dedicated SSD Drive for RF2
    I lie I have RF1 and BF3 on it as well, no idea why BF3 is there but our club may want to kill someone some day.

I'm told BF3 is one of the hardest to run on a computer, I have it on ULTRA and it's just fine, a little tearing on the screen sometimes otherwise dandy, they should be saying RF2 is a real computer tester not that game.
    I'm getting tired of getting upset.
    GGGRRRRR

2. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

I am running triples on a 670 with no problems, HDR and FXAA off, video sync at 5394x1080 and everything else at max...the driver for the card is 310.33. I have not installed the NVidia 3d stuff as that has a rep for messing things up. Your system looks more than capable so don't give up.

3. _GZ_

_GZ_ Registered

Hmm...I have the same as you except i5 processor. No problem running 3x1920x1080 with everything on max. FPS is around 50-60, a bit lower in rain. Without HDR becasuse it messes up the replay. Have not tried FXAA.

4. Alric

Alric Registered

My setup is similar and runs fine. Long way off perfect but fine to play. This didn't use to be the case though until I completely wiped rf2 and started again with the current version. Somehow I gained 20fps. Might be worth a try....

5. Pits

Pits Registered

Thanks fellas, I just don't feel like trying anymore, I'm a user not a programmer, I "tried a lot" before and it was a bad road. I think I'm now in sulk mode and will be happy again going back to a child's view for a while, my wife is feeling the brunt of this as it should be.
    I (with another) run our RF2 Server events, things will not bode well for us till this is fixed or our boss fires me, I'm happy with the latter.
    I'm not going to be reasonable about this as I was last time.
    Can ISI hook up 3 screens and fiddle with it till it works as good as one screen, maybe announce it as The Next Big Fix, the screen is all we look at so surly it's the first thing you would approach, no? is that being unreasonable.
    This'll be the last thing I say about this till A Man says Yes It's Fixed Have Fun, but I honestly don't think anyone of importance will even look at this post.

6. Knight of Redemption

Who do you expect to fix it?...not trying to be funny but you have three people saying it works, one with a system much like yours and one with the same but a lesser processor...My first suspicion would be the Video drivers, are you running the latest? did you uninstall the old ones first? Have you ditched the 3d drivers? What are your settings? Have you enabled multiview? Have you tried all the sync settings? I'm sure the answers are yes, but just in case...

7. coops

coops Banned

i use a gtx680 4gb with triples all maxed out average for tracks is 80/100 fps. i was told to go to the 4gb card for 3 screens as i was told as much memory buffer as possible for 3 screens the better. AA level 2.

8. Knight of Redemption

2gig 670 does the job well enough, as the posters here have verified...So the question is why the OP is not getting the same results....Our Systems are similar, so it is a bit of a puzzle.:confused:

9. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

Drivers drivers drivers...

10. 3lfk1ng

3lfk1ng Registered

Sorry mate, but that is not physically possible. Going from 1 screen to 3 screens means that the graphics card has to render the images on three times as many pixels. This not only uses up more ram but pushes the graphics card harder since it also has to render a wider field of view to accommodate that amazing aspect ratio thus more polygons and shaders have to be rendered in the scene.

11. Bart S

Bart S Member

i use a gtx680 2gb with triples all maxed out HDR on average for tracks is 50/60 fps. My AA level is 4. I wish I did get the 4gb but not sure as to how much difference it would make especially since Im hitting the 60fps/Hz limit of my monitors. If I go with a higher AA I feel the bite of the memory buffer limit but that also depends on the series, track and cars.
    Keep up the good work of optimising ISI, your nearly at an ideal performance level for a GTX680 2gb and triples, just a little more for a more solid 60fps. BTW my GTX680 is OC to 1262MHz with NV inspector and fan set to a perminent 73% works gr8 for me. If I have the fan on auto or less I get graphics driver crashing but only on certain series and track which is weird. Must be the heat.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

FXAA will barley affect your frames per second just to let you know. Its a cheap (made mostly for crappy consoles) way of AA.

If anything, try turning off control panel and/or in game AA, and then use FXAA instead, and see how that turns out.

Also try turning shadows down to medium, reflections off, HDR off.

As others have already said, using 3 screens means (especially in proper triple screen mode aka multi-view), that your graphics card is almost powering 3 times the amount of "stuff". Instead of all the power of the graphics card going towards all the stuff you see on one screen, it now has to split all that power, a little to screen 1, a little to screen 2, a little to screen 3. You got triple the amount of graphics to compute than before, so you should expect your frames to drop DRASTICALLY, just simple maths.

Lower your res, while obviously keeping the same aspect ratio, so instead of the standard 1080p (5760 x 1080), try:

- 5120 x 960
    - 4960 x 930
    - 4800 x 900
    - 4640 x 870
    - 4480 x 840
    - 4320 x 810
    - 4160 x 780
    - 4000 x 750
    - 3840 x 720 (720p)

Although it's at the bottom of the list, I would start out with 720p, its not that bad of a res, I just went in very small incriments. With the lower resoultions, you will have the exact same image as before, but just less sharp/detailed, should definetely help with frames.

Its a combination of the res settings, aa settings and ingame graphics options settings :).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
  13. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

I use tripple screen with a 7970 (GPU overclocked to 1200Mhz) with FXAA and HDR. Resolution is 5920 * 1080 (eyefinity bezel compensation). I have stable FPS above 50FPS, as long as I don't use multi-view. Multi-view reduces fps dramatically and I don't see any improvement over eyefinity bezel compensation.

14. MrPix

MrPix Registered

I was going to ask the OP... do you use MultiView? if so... turn it off at least until ISI have optimised the game for it, I can only get 24 fps average with MV on @ 5910x1200.

I turn both sets of reflections off if I'm struggling with FPS (rarely) and can get over 200fps on some tracks, like Croft for instance, but on ISI Tracks such as Mills and Malaysia I tend to get less FPS, but always above refresh rates with reflections both off.

I do run SLI on 2x 680 4GB cards though and average 2.4GB video ram usage on level 3 AA. (HDR on, Multiview Off)

15. Knight of Redemption

I have Multiview on and have no problems, there is more problems with SLI than with a single GPU so set ups for dual GPU will not be the same. Personally MrPix I would disable SLI when running rF2 until ISI have sorted out the SLI problems. You should find you can use reflections and full AA...I can and am only on a single 670 2gb.

16. MrPix

MrPix Registered

No way am I disabling SLI, would mean having to rewire the whole thing. Thanks anyway.

I can use reflections in the main, but some tracks have been badly optimised and I get frame dips at certain points.... they're are the ones that I turn off reflections for.

17. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

To me, turning off multi-view isn't an option as it changes how things are displayed on the side monitors enough to where it looks odd to me when I look in my side monitors. The displays don't line up properly without multi-view.

18. Knight of Redemption

Yes that is off putting for me too, anyway just wanted the OP to know with a single GPU he could have Multiview on :)

19. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Advice like this should be more along the lines of "try turning Multiview off and see what happens" because the SLI compatibility of rF2 isn't so easy to classify.

I run triples with 2 x GTX 670 SC 4 GB, multiview on and my framerates are usually over 100 fps, dropping in to the 50-60 range in challenging situations (like lots of tire smoke from opponents in corners)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2012
  20. Knight of Redemption

Hi F1 ;) Yes there are so many different setups it is very hard to claim absolutes, what works in one may not work for another.