LCD screens flicker @60HZ, triggers migraines

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by SUE, Nov 3, 2012.

1. SUE

SUE Registered

HIGHER REFRESH RATES I 'm not sure I'm doing this forum correctly, 1st forum, not very tech savvy. read threads about MODIFIED AMD/ATI driver to allow higher refresh rates. you all sound like you know this stuff so...I need advice. I get migraine headaches when I use my laptop. I've learned it's probably the refresh rate on my LCD screen. I can't actually see the flicker on a conscious level but all my research has led to this conclusion. I can change the refresh rate on the screen but my video card won't go higher than 60Hz. So that means I can't go higher on my laptop, right? I've always had to limit my time on computers. I'm ready for a new one but I want a laptop with a higher refresh rate for screen and video card. It's hard to even find the refresh rate info. online when shopping, I read the specs but often no help and I know nothing about video cards. Can anyone recommend some? Do I have to get an expensive gaming laptop to get t

2. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Practically all LCD screens have a limited refresh to 60Hz so if you get migraines only on your laptop LCD while on other LCDs it is ok, there is probably something wrong with your laptop LCD. Also note that your graphics does support higher refresh rates without modifying the driver but as I have said your monitor is probably limited to 60Hz so you don't want to go higher because that can damage your monitor.
    There are 2 things you can try:
    - check what fps you get and try to get constant 60fps even if it means lowering your settings/resolution and see if that helps any.
    - adjust FOV. Some people have problems with narrow FOV so try to make it wider(higher). Also note that higher FOV means more is rendered so you might need to lower your graphics settings to keep good fps.

3. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Sue, you didn't mention what you were doing when you were getting these migranes. Are you playing a game, doing word processing, browsing forums?

60Hz refresh on a flat panel monitor is not the same as what it used to be on CRT monitors. The CRT's had the issue because of the way graphics were drawn on the screen and the light sources around you when you were using them. This was noticeable at 60Hz only for countries that used a 60Hz electrical cycle. In other countries where the electricity cycles at 50Hz, you would notice it at that refresh rate. Flat panels however don't draw the screen the same way so there is less likely a chance that this is what you are experiencing.

If this happens with all flat panel monitors, I would suggest you see your doctors to find out why. If this happens only with your laptop, then perhaps there is an issue with the laptop that needs to be looked into. Most likely causes for this only on the laptop would be something causing micro-stutter, but you have said you don't actually see it, but you feel the effect so not sure if that is the case. This is likely something that would have to be troubleshot in person to see exactly what is happening on screen.

I do have one question however, does this happen when you are plugged in, when you are on battery, or both times?

1 person likes this.
  4. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

The way a Laptop is made means that nearly all laptop users have terrible posture when using it. If I used a laptop at home I would get a docking station or at least an external monitor.

Do you have regular eye tests? and if you wear eye correction is it suitable for staring at a screen.

I have had odd instances where customers complained of screen flicker on desktops and the only solution after checking things like EM interference etc etc was to replace the monitor.

5. SUE

SUE Registered

Thanks for your replies. Here's the thing, I have had/been treated for migraines for 23 years. And as I have aged, the disorder has worsened. There are a number of different things that can trigger one, even things as unavoidable as a change in air pressure (or using computers). I have also had computers for almost as long. I’ve just always been a user rather than a techie. I have had migraines from working on computer screens, be they CRT’s, flat panel LCD’s, or laptops. I do wear glasses and have regular exams. I don’t play games. I don’t watch movies. Plugged in or battery doesn’t matter. I have changed the colors and settings displayed on my screen to minimize glare. I’ve had glare shields. I keep the screen a little below my eyes, I have adequate support, I look away, step away, get off. I belong to migraine sites where there have been many discussions over the years with other migraineurs who have this same problem with computer screens. It’s a small group and not a trigger for all of us so even people in the computer industry may not be aware that this could be a problem. Anyway, that is where most of my current preventative strategies have come from. My neurologist also agrees that I am probably aware of the flicker on a more sensitive, subliminal level. I tell you all this because I have tried so many things including wrapping my brain around this possible solution. And it kinda makes sense, because watching the LCD TV screen is no problem and it is 120 Hz.

I will educate myself about “fps” and “FOV” and see if that is the answer. But I would also like to see some laptops that have a graphics card and screen that can run at a higher refresh rate. However, I live in the boonies and do most my shopping online. I am also an artist and would like to start making my own prints so resolution is of importance to me. When I shop online, the specs seldom mention refresh rates. I can and will call different manufacturers but I’d like to hear from someone who has no stake in it and knows what’s out there. So, I’m looking for pretty specific advice in regard to brands, etc. for both graphics cards and laptops that will run at a higher refresh rate.

6. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

From everything that I am reading, you are going to have to look into high end gaming laptops to get the 120Hz displays. All of the lower end will not support it. That being said, it really comes down to what you like for a brand as from what I have seen, they are all pretty much similar for the display and graphics options for 3D. Currently nVidia supports 3d and ATI doesn't do so well with it.

As for a specific brand, I have no opinion, though I would probably stay away from Dell as I have had bad luck with 2 laptops from them.

7. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I think you are going down the wrong road with the 60/120 refresh rates thing. Surfing the net, painting pictures (as examples) is not going to make a difference with 120 as these tasks have non moving images unlike playing games. Learning about “fps” and “FOV” is games related only, and be a waste of your time reading about these things.
    Just a guess, but it's most likely to how your screen is back lit. Your LCD home TV, that you said you have no problem with, that could be lit with something different to how your laptop is lit.
    Maybe it could be the work you are doing that could be triggering them, and not the screen it's self? (I'm not a doctor)
    Just food for thought.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2012
  8. kaptainkremmen

I used to be able to help my Ex's migraines with a proper Foot Massage. Did it for about 8 years. One day she changed Dentist and he altered her bite pattern slightly. No more Migraines. 6 months later I was single again. Nice.

9. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Think she is now going out with the Dentist. :D

10. kaptainkremmen

:)