AI Adjustments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by daynyc, Oct 29, 2012.

1. daynyc

daynyc Registered

I've been experimenting primarily with the 1960s historics. I have considerable experience with GPL (back to its introduction), iRacing and GTR2 P&G. I primarily race offline and good AI is critical for me. After searching for tips, I have found that setting AI Limiter in the PLR file to .6 and lowering AI aggression to 2% has resulted in significant improvement. However, the three ISI tracks (Monte Carlo, Belgium and Brianza) are still inconsistent and, at least for me, require substantially different AI Strength settings (and changes in those settings seem to affect each track's AI differently) . I want to add my voice to others who appeal to ISI for better AI. Excellent AI
    "out of the box" is achievable in 2012. Even if some of us may be familiar with tinkering with PLR and AIW (and other) files, it shouldn't be necessary and superior AI can really make rFactor 2. Modifying AI Limiter has considerable impact. I would appreciate any other AI adjustment tips.

2. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy Registered

I've noticed some tracks utilize the Low/Mid/High strength settings of .8/1/1.2 (as in most rF1 tracks). A few of the ISI tracks have that set as 1/1.1/1.2 (or something similar), which weights your AI Strength higher than it would otherwise be.

3. imonarefactor

imonarefactor Registered

Agreed.

I'd add that I can follow an AI car for 20 laps and they'll make no mistakes, unlike racing online. I wish the AI show more human aspects.

4. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

I was once in the same boat, AI was such a big issue for me.

This is mainly because of back in my GP4 days, I used to love that game. The AI were, and remain, the best AI in any vehicle game I have ever played. The reason is not just that the actual AI programming was of the highest quality, but also, the AI cars shared the EXACT same physics model as the player.

AI didn't have "simplified" physics, what you were seeing was literally the computer making inputs into the throttle, brake, and steering of a real car.

The AI were amazing, they locked up, made mistakes, drove realistically. They would overtake and defend like real drivers. All this from a game made in 2001...

Times have changed however. Since GP4, I can't put my finger on a single racing game or sim, on any platform, with even half decent AI.

It is because of this that I have now given up on my hope of having realistic AI, I now strive for a game that provides me with great physics, (like rFactor 2), that I can take into an online environment. Unfortunately this is also why I find iRacing to be the best overall sim at the moment, the online functionality is so easy to use, and the racing is good.

I don't have a very organised lifestyle so I have always found league racing difficult, as I can't turn up to events which are only on at certain times on certain days of the week. Race2play addresses this somewhat, but iRacing works perfectly for me in terms of actual racing action.

Which is a shame as I don't play iRacing anymore, the physics of rFactor 2 are too awesome and I love this game. I can't wait until the day we have GP4 AI and iRacing multiplayer all in one sim with rFactor physics!

5. tjc

tjc Registered

Me too... awesome game indeed and I spent many, many hours driving it...

Let`s hope that all comes together in rf2... ;)

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I think the AI lines at the 1960's tracks all need reworking. Unfortunately nothing (you have easy access to) really could be tweaked to make them perfect IMHO.

7. jrcn50

jrcn50 Registered

I take this issue to emphasize the importance of AI in the simulations.
    Many players, like myself, almost always drive offline and if AI is not up to par, we quickly abandoned the game, I'm sure Tim knows that better than me, but often the good simdrivers (which play online) don't care too much for AI and I'm afraid that this is not a priority for the management team ... I hope to be wrong:).

Good AI = Good Sim = many customers = many dollars :D :D

8. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

^^ Is AI something that anyone can tweak using the AIW file, etc.? I'd like to learn more about AI. So far, I understand the following (I think LOL):

The AIW file can be used to set the track-specific range of AI difficulty. I believe I remember reading somewhere that it is better to increase the mid point in this file than to set AI strength in game to more than 100% b/c AI strength introduces differences in vehicle performance vs AI ability. True?

It is possible to train AI. How?

Where can I learn more about AI? I am very interested in this topic and am especially interested in what I can do to make AI better because like others I am offline much of the time and while AI is good in some tracks it is not always good so I'd like to learn how to train and/or tweak AI and may also be able to help developers with AI on their tracks if I can get good at it. If I am going to do it for myself anyway then why not contribute by giving to developer of track in case they want to incorporate into update if they choose?

9. peterchen

peterchen Registered

kknorp you have pm

10. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy Registered

The track specific AI strength "weight" was what I was referring to. The ISI rF2 tracks seem to have these set higher than the "standard" settings as in most rF1 tracks (usually .8/1.0/1.2). I don't recall specifics, but I seem to remember some of the ISI rF2 circuits with a mid-range of 1.1....which means if you set the AI slider in-game to 100%, you're *actually* getting 110%.

Check any of the recently converted tracks...you may notice the AI being "slow" compared to the ISI tracks. This is because they're using the "normal" settings of .8/1/1.2.

ISI: What's the feasibility to remove this as a variable to avoid inconsistant AI speeds between different circuits *because* of varying values for this setting? At least for me..it's a tad off puting having to constantly change AI strength and remember what setting for each track... Example: I'm competitive in the F2 car at Palm Beach with 95% AI strength. At Sebring I'm at least 3-4sec/lap faster with that same 95% strength.

11. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I looked at those .aiw files but I did not found any single ai strenght value. What I found was: AIBrakingStiffness, AIRange, AISpec and AIDraftStickiness. What values do I have to change to get the ai speed to the same level as on ISI tracks?

12. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy Registered

I'll take a peek later today after work. I want to say its "Low Adjust", "Mid Adjust", "High Adjust". They're supposed to represent a speed adjustment for 80% AI, 100%AI, and 120% AI.

13. vhoggard

vhoggard Registered

I too am an offline racer since I just recently had a battle with cancer. I do all my racing these days at various times of the morning or night; sometimes 3am if I can't sleep. I too would love to have the ability to adjust AI so I could enjoy the wonderful rfactor 2 in a multi-class environment where the AI and I can race close to the same lap times. Good AI will keep me doing rfactor 2 and at this point; the AI is not that great. If you could make the AI adjustable, without having to go through a whole bunch of coding, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

14. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

That would be a mistake, this variable (and many many others) are required to allow the AI fine tunning by the modder. Once the vast majority of modders only convert existent track without any additional concerns, they don't tweak those variables and blow up everything, causing the issue you noticed.