Too high FPS in menus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fobban, Sep 23, 2012.

1. fobban

fobban Registered

I've got a i7 2600k (not overclocked), 16 GB RAM (1600 MHz), AMD 6970 GPU. I don't run on max settings, but the game runs great on the settings I prefer.

The thing is, in the launcher, if I click Configure Sim and set Sync to None, when I launch single player I have around 1300-1400 FPS in the main menu. This causes my GPU card to do some weird squeaky noises! The sound comes from the actual hardware! If I enter some submenu, there are more graphical elements and the FPS drops to around 500 and the squeaky noises disappear.

The problem can quite easily be solved by changing Sync to Video (I guess that is the equivalent of Vertical Sync on), that way the FPS is constantly 60 (same as my monitor's refresh rate). However, I'm not a big fan of vertical sync since it often causes slimy mouse, and ****ty performance unless the hardware actually manages to always keep up the 60 fps. And I usually don't suffer from screen tearing. Additionally, when running "Developer", VSync seems to be turned off regardless if it's on or not in the settings, and I'm back with the squeaky hardware noises.

Now I'm not sure if these hardware noises can cause damage to the GPU or something else. Even if it doesn't it does not sound too nice :).

It would be nice if ISI could implement a max fps feature similar to other games. Half Life 1 had the fps_max console command, and most other game engines have something similar. Tripwire Interactive implemented in their last game, Red Orchestra 2, a similar feature they call Framerate Smoothing which does something similar.

PS. I have had the same squeaky noises in one other game: Killing Floor. That game also has a very simple main menu where my FPS skyrockets. DS.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2012
  2. Armando

Armando Registered

There is a maximum framerate configuration.
    You can find it in UserData\player\player.plr, it's called "Max Framerate".

However, I don't know if it works in menus too, I haven't checked.

1 person likes this.
  3. osella

osella Registered

I noticed that too, have over 1000fps in menu which causes the gpu to squeak, its nothing too loud though and I'm 100% sure it can't cause any damage.

4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I'm using MSI Afterburner to limit fps. If I set vsync to software in rF2 it shows as 100% gpu utilization in MSI afterburner, but when I do it with Afterburner GPU usage is less, maybe max framerate plr file option is different then, must look into that.

5. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Hehe, do a search in google for chirping GPU and chirping motherboard.

Nvidia you have? I remember my old EVGA 680i when pushed used to chirp around the CPU area but I never found what was actually causing it. Nvidia graphics cards were well known for chirping too :)

Id put it down to cheap components as Ive never had any Intel or ATI motherboard or GPU do it until then. EVGA, quick board but not the best quality.

6. osella

osella Registered

Well, both OP and I have AMD GPU so its not nvidia only thing.

IMO today the manufacturer doesn't matter. MSI, EVGA, Powercolor, Gigabyte, Sapphire, you name it.. Everyone makes it as cheap as possible so the cards only last few years, theres no reason to be loyal to certain brands in computer world, I always buy whatever is the cheapest and totally do not care about those few letters on cover. :rolleyes:
    Of course thing like RAM may be different as the cheap manufacturers may simply offer only slower memories but thats a different story.

Ironically my last 3 cards (including the current one) were one of the cheapest (mainstream chip but cheap manufacturer) and they all had great hardware, prior to that I had geforce 6600GT made by expensive manufacturer and it died after 2.5 years.

Oh there is one exception, sometimes the more expensive cards have better cooling solution, then of course it may be worth the money, but if the hw is very same I wouldnt care.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2012
  7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

If you check components, you can see how higher end versions have different names in those components, even gpu model would be the same.

I did pay really lot from my motherboard, 5 years warranty, ultra durable something, weights four times what cheap similar motherboard weights and components are completely different looking, heavy duty things. I chose that route so that I would not have another MB issues and there is no any odd sounds, except from that later added cheap memory. Even brand does not matter so much, product line matters, it is not only fancy words that adds up price on better models.

8. fobban

fobban Registered

Thank you for all replies!

The "Max Framerate" setting seems to work in the menus too.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah it does, turned mine back to 0 and got the same whining sound, when you have SSDs its more pronounced as you can only hear the fans going! pretty sure it does'nt cause damage though.

10. fobban

fobban Registered

Though I noticed that the Max Framerate setting doesn't work when in Developer mode, so still the whining sound there.

1 person likes this.
  11. ThoKa

ThoKa Guest

This finally stopped the coil-whine of my 560ti, thanks a lot!

12. MJP

MJP Registered

Dev mode has its own userdata folder with PLR, controller and config INI files.

13. osella

osella Registered

I was talking only about gpu.

Better MB certainly are worth the money, otherwise why would there ever be expensive ones after all, also PSU is definitely something you do NOT want to have too cheap. Nothing worse than 400W Eurocase PSU that makes noise and dies soon..

14. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Same goes to gpu also, well at least was couple of years ago, haven't checked this year, but there are those better deluxe or whatever models that often had better parts in.

Once when working at computer shop, I took new gpu from box and aim was to install it to customers machine, however when I turned card over to install it to AGP slot few component covers did fell off with nice cheap rattle (what they are called in english, those cylinderical filtering things?), QC OK sticker held on nicely though. That was one of the cheapest possible models, I think it was MSI's cheap model.

15. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

@jtbo: Those cylindrical filter things are called capacitors :)

As to buying the cheapest on the market, there are times when this is not a good idea even today. A prime example I can give is when you are looking for specific features, such as the ability to run 3 or 4 monitors at a time. A lot of the cheaper graphics cards don't install components to do this, but the more expensive ones tend to give you all the features that were designed into the card.

A good thing to look at when buying now a days is if the card manufacturer is using a reference card design or their own custom design. True reference designs will be true to what ATI or nVidia had intended the card to be.

16. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Heh, I thought it was only my hardware alone making that "chirping" noise in menus. :) Actually the sound came from my display (27" Asus VE278Q). By lowering max framerate setting in player.pln down to something like 150 will make the chirping go away but has negative impact on framerate when using Sync Software (which is by far the best compromise for me/my system). So I don't think the max framerate setting is the way to go but instead framerate should be restricted in menus programmatically.

17. Duvel

Duvel Registered

limit fps by a multiple of your monitor, so if it's a 60hz, use 60 or 120 or 180, etc. Get less tearing if you do this (and can maintain said frame rate).

18. dandar

dandar Registered

I'm going to look for the source, but I've learned that a simulation running at 60 cycles per second (hz) makes the brain to believe that the received image it's real, so you can have an extra pleasant time and maybe you may feel more confortable.

That's the reason why the 80 hz (or more) were discontinued when lcd/plasma monitors appears in the market. Also it's the main reason why 3D monitors runs at 120 hz (not for compatibility) this rate aims to deliver 60 hz to every eye.

19. osella

osella Registered

^Not really, "how much fps can human eye see" is a very complicated question, as everyone knows movies use just 25 or 30fps but in games this is far from fluid... and more than 60Hz IS better too although 60 is already very good.
    There are tons of articles about this, and its intresting read, for ex. http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

20. Duvel

Duvel Registered

i remember playing counter-strike on a CRT with 120hz and it being absolutely essential compared to even 85 or 90. If i could have 120fps constant with all eyecandy at max in triple screens, i'd be in heaven - 60hz cannot compare.