Cheaters on grid starts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sir Stumpy, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Sir Stumpy

Sir Stumpy Registered

Hello one and all,

Total newbie to the rFactor world, had it a few weeks, played probably less then 10 hours in total but having a great time. Played gt5, the Codemasters f1 titles but smiled when i first played rFactor that it made my t500 feel connected to the road in a way gt5 and f1 doesn't (ie, constant feedback, not just when something happens).

Anyway, I digress

Hello everyone, great to be on here.

I was racing on the ISI server tonight and on the grid, the racer in front of me reversed his car from his start box to get a small advantage with a rolling start. i was wondering if that is acceptable behavior, or if its something that can be stopped game side?

Cheers
    SirStumpy

2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Not sure how much of an advantage someone would gain by doing this, but I would think that any movement on the grid would flag the car with a false start. If this did not happen it might be something that is yet to come and is not on the top of the priority list at the moment.

3. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Tongue in cheek, tongue in cheek...

4. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

If I remember correct that was the case indeed in rF1. Haven't tried/seen in rF2 though, so don't know about that.

If I remember correct about rF1 though, then you must be standing still at the moment the light goes green, and off course inside of your starting box (you have some margin, off course, so that formation laps work ;) )

5. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

I can confirm what Sir Stumpy is saying....some are jump starting before it turns green and no penalty is given. Only a few do it, but they do and it should be fixed...

6. martymoose

martymoose Registered

It depends what rules are set as, I got 2 jump starts and drive through penalties online but this was just an accidental creep on the clutch. If all rules are disabled there are no penalties, not sure about the reversing back thing but to be honest if somene is that desperate good luck to them.

If there is an issue that avoids fall starts by doing this then it wouldnt be hard to fix, same as real racing any movement once the lights go up and before they go green is a jump start. Im surprised some people need to cheat but most likely people that do such things arent real racers and so will hold that lead for only a handful of corners especially if they know they suck so bad they cant beat anyone without cheating.

7. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Hold on... let's assume, even if all rules/flags/penalties are enabled and still one can reverse one's car and have what you call a better start.... still have to rotate the car back in the proper direction. That means, one will slow down by a great margin so in the end, how can one gain anything doing like that?

8. Fergy

Fergy Registered

ARI league race 3 Sunday night, 2 Driver received stop and go's for jumping the start. Flag rules set to Black only to control the ever lurking Safety Car. Works well.

9. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

For those guys wanting to get a jump start, apparently they haven't heard that a race isn't won on the first lap?

10. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Yes it is when it is a 1 lap race :D
    But seriously most races are really short like 5 laps, I even seen a 2 lap race. More than 15laps or 15min doesn't even exist on current public servers. But I guess even 5 lap races are too long for most people, since a lot of racers crash in 1st lap or just leave the server after they do a mistake (like 2nd lap hehe).

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I know what you are saying Abriel, seems that we will have to wait for gold before we find a number of races that are going to last 40/60/120 minutes.

12. REDRUM

REDRUM Registered

Pretty good question, I've witnessed this and also been a suspect... once after a warmup lap I stopped back a little in my grid position, lucky for me because I anticipated the green a little early and got the 'rolling start' in a public server.

By the first turn (mills park) I was about 6 car lengths ahead of the grid and didn't get flagged for it!

Perhaps ISI need to look at implementing some kind of check to ensure a vehicle, once in its grid position, has a lower tolerance for movement... having accidentally done this myself I can see how it could be exploited.

13. Marek Lesniak

Are you sure, flags were enabled at that server? Maybe rules were set so you won't get flagged for jump starting anyway?

14. REDRUM

REDRUM Registered

Wasn't like it was a huge jump, I am pretty sure I can find the replay... I'll have a look

EDIT: The replay is from an earlier build so I cant play it anymore.. I can tell you I was pretty much as far back in the grid slot as I could be (unintentionally), when I launched half a second before the green I was technically still on my grid which gave me a HUGE advantage, I am fairly sure flags were enabled.

I didn't realise how far back I was until watching the replay afterward

Its pretty easy for people to test themself however!

15. Marek Lesniak

That's interesting. I thought rF looks for any movement before race start, not whether you are still within your grid position or not.

16. KaIIe

KaIIe Registered

Just to confirm, in rF1 you could creep quite a distance before your start would be flagged as false start. Good examples are Suzuka's S/F straight. Some people will do this on purpose to gain a slight advantage, while some on accident (what? my car rolls downhill?).

I'm not sure if this is something ISI has done on purpose (simulating lower categories that don't have electronic jump start detection) or by accident.

17. Sir Stumpy

Sir Stumpy Registered

Hi guys, OP here. Glad that this has raised some debate, at least ISI can look at it IF it is not a server side config with flags off (though to be fair I cant think of a circumstance where you should be allowed to move even with flag rules set off - its cheating)

One thing i didnt mention in my OP was that teh guy who rolled back ended up dropping the clutch badly at the start and that combined with a good start for me meant i was on his boot very quickly as he had moved back enough for that to happen - negating my good start

18. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Pretty simple test try an offline race with different flag levels, I think Black only should be enough. See what you can get away with and what you cant, just dont use you new found knowledge for cheating online lol.

Im sure rules are implemented the same online and single player, try standing and formation starts to see if it makes any difference. I have had 2 stop go penalties on my first 2 online races due to poor starting technique and only having a tiny creep on one of them. I will try and find the replays from those race starts and post a video here.