Drying track is a joke

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by KaIIe, Aug 14, 2012.

1. KaIIe

KaIIe Registered

We just had a league race in Palm Beach with the Brabham BT20s in the wet, or rather in the storm. Constant rain all through the 45 minute race. However, within a few laps it became apparent that there's a huge rubberband effect. Basically anyone from P2 or 3 onwards was going faster than the leader due to the track being dried out by the few leaders, even though it was raining really hard all the time.

2. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Well, it's not fully implemented yet as this is a beta.

Is this how you normally report bugs? Calling features that don't work yet "a joke"?

That's very negative and rude. If that's the attitude you're going to have when you find bugs, maybe the beta program is not for you. You should wait until the product is released.

3. KaIIe

KaIIe Registered

Well, I remember Tim saying that "It takes a long time for the dry line to form if you have realtime settings." If a few cars driving in rain is a long time, then clearly there's something wrong. Unless there's some superhidden setting that you can't change from the dedi server UI (Scripted weather) and .PLR (non-time scaled).

Oh, and I'm not in the beta. And English isn't my first language, so if I happen to come off as rude, I'm sorry.

4. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
  5. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

We are all in the beta as rFactor2 is curently in an open beta.

It is great you can run a league race using it and that makes for good testing and feedback. Just don't expect it to be a finished product and expect the odd problem. Then feed it back to help develop the product.

6. KaIIe

KaIIe Registered

What I meant is I don't have rF2 purchased, I'm just part of our league's admin team. So no personal driving experience, just channeling (lots of) feedback from our drivers and our live stream to ISI here.

7. sg333

sg333 Registered

So you are complaining about the software even though you dont own it, and havent used it? :p

8. Axeli

Axeli Registered

Guys!! Kalle is here to give information to developers so they can note it and make it better. i own this rfactor 2 and i had thousands of testing hours and i make wheathers and i drive at same leaguea what kalle is talking.

So everything what kalle is saying is true. This is just feedback to developers. Nothing else. And we finn guys has always bad english spelling so maybe it sound rude but we cant spell everything to "sound nice" mode.

And maybe your guys should not spamm all these bug report topic´s full of those "go home hater, this is beta, there is no bug´s" comments. so developers can read these reports easily and they dont have to read that 9 page long thread.

i hope you guys understand what i mean.

I hope that this "Groove build-up and track wetness/drying happen at an artificial, accelerated rate." will be fixed to next build attleast. Becose if its done to accelrated mode it should be easy to make slower? Our League will support developers to test different %Accelration types to find something near realistic if help is needed.

And after this post no more post about "go home haters" if someone disagree about what i said here Please contact me(IRC) somewhere else so these thread´s are easier to read to developers. thank you.

Ircnet. nick: Axeli

9. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Lets just wait when all the trellet's get here :D

10. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Well, the key word here is not "accelerated" but "artificial". This means rubber build up and drying line are just generated by passing cars. When it's done, it will be caused by actual physics. So it's not about finding some kind of "right setting" but about finishing implementation. We have to wait for it..

11. martymoose

martymoose Registered

It is at an accelerated rate, I have been testing it out with driving mostly with 29 AI cars. A dry line does begin to appear whilst its still raining with a full field and as soon as the heavy rain stops your good to go with slicks, I think the weather will be good once its fine tuned and I can see the promise in it. It just isnt quite fully sorted and I assume there will be a slider option to control the realism level or real road from 100% to highly accelerated effects.

As is at the moment you also cant start a session with a saturated road even with a full blown storm, it will start dry and get wetter by the rain but never starts fully wet. It would be good to be able to select the track conditions at the start of the first session once the game is finished. With both how wet or how green it is to begin with, in single practice if you set a practice session only as in trial day the weather wont change from what your first option is. So if you set the first part to be a storm and second part to be sunny it never seems to stop raining, but thats probably because the clock resets every time you go to the pits and I havent tried any single long run test days where the weather changes. If you also set another session then the clock will run down on the session and weather will change as set in the session options.

Another thing a little OT I found here that I tried is I ran a full AI grid of FR3.5 for a 1 hour race at joesville track to see how the track rubbers up. It was quite black after about 230 laps and the FPS took a pretty big hit after about 180 laps. I am using a i7 2700k @5GHZ with SLI GTX 480's and 32GB of ram, this keeps all settings maxed in a full field with vsync at 60p for the first 180 laps but then as more and more rubber went down the FPS dropped steadily and at the end of the race was at around 45. Restarting the race with the same amount of rubber to begin with kept the frame rate the same for the next race beginning at around 45fps. Restarting the race with a green track got it back to normal.

This is an exaggerated results with accelerated rubbering down of the track on a small track with a full field. I havent noticed the same effect running 1 hour sessions on longer tracks with the same amount of cars yet. I kind of wish RF2 was built in 64bit to allow for much more system memory to store all the real track data along with dedicating a core to purely this function of physics simulation. Or possibly even use a GPU physics approach for such things if possible.

DX11 isnt as big a deal even though it would be nice, but why can we have simulators running in 64 bit to allow for more memory usage?