Tim's Tweets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Aug 9, 2012.

1. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Might be a good time to...I dunno...learn how to drive?

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Indeed. Just had a friend tell me how he was trying to work on a setup at Indy, kept going out for a couple of laps and felt the car pushing when he was nowhere near the limit, made changes to tighten up the front end, then did a qual run and ended up with oversteer at 220mph. Realized he'd setup the car to handle in a way he'd not actually want when up to speed and with warmer tires.

The days of not testing your adjustments over an actual longer run are long gone, and a large amount of people still don't realize they need to drive a car for longer before they know how it drives. rF2 isn't a static sim.

3. RNelson

RNelson Registered

But that philosophy runs counter to the current culture of "Just tell me how to solve the problem", 7 minute ab workouts, and "give me a pill to fix my___________ (weight, focus, energy). Patience used to be wasted on youth but now it is universally lost......

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

that last line would make a great caption ending to a video showing RealRoad + someone fiddling with cold vs warm tire setups!or just a great slogan altogether :)

5. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Agreed, although I prefer...

rFactor 2...The days of not testing your adjustments over an actual longer run are long gone!

or...

Test or Die

6. rober888

rober888 Registered

Anybody know about a new build??? This is too slow...

7. yusupov

yusupov Registered

8. Freddy3792

Freddy3792 Registered

That is so wrong. I won so many competetive races without long run testing. It is mostly down to the driver and knowing how to setup a car to work on a longrun. I usually need five laps to figure out how far I can go on one set of tires. Of course you can have surprises mid stint, but that is rare. For me rF2 is the sim which requires the smallest amount of testing once I have a good baseline setup, because the feedback from the car and tire heat and wear info are that good.
    I literally turned up for leauge races 30min before the race (with a setup from another track or my teammate) and was finishing on the podium.
    I went for my first run in the Megane on the 24h nordschleife in a Q session threw some 5min setup adjustments on the car and pulled out a 8.4X
    In rF2 it is much more about the driver than about the testing.

9. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

10. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Well, are you the fastest guy in rf2? Probably going to get beaten in the right leauge with people who really get in there and figuring it all out.

Just because you've managed to win here and there on pure driving skill and 5 minute setups does'nt mean that rf2 is not about tinkering! Cause it probably is! Also, your setups seem to have some time invested to it.

11. Freddy3792

Freddy3792 Registered

I am not the fastest guy, but for sure pretty fast as I have beaten enough other fast drivers, who took part in FSR and things like that (but you will never see me in the FSR kindergarten) Most of the time the driver is more of the problem than the setup. I have worked a lot with less experienced and slower drivers and in 90% of the time "tuning" the driver was more effective than tuning the car. With a bit of guidance most guys found another second at a point were they thought they cant go faster. Often people can get carried away in the wrong setup direction when they are not driving properly (including myself). Open wheelers for example require more testing than most of the GT/touring cars. With the Megane you literally need 15min for the setup.
    People always go on so much about setups, but the truth is, that a good setup enables you to go faster, but first you have to go fast yourself. You can easily have twice the tire wear just by driving style, that is pretty though to achieve only by the setup.

12. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Yeah, I agree. I myself always steer away from trying to do setups. Some gear ratio changes is all for me. Then when I'm fast on pure default setup most of the times, I go for others setups (fast ones shares allmost allways I've noticed) cause I'm more about driving and maxing out what I have at hands first, then I try to do simple adjustments, but I suck at it. And always ask others that are faster because of setups :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
  13. Freddy3792

Freddy3792 Registered

Yep, most guys incl. me are pretty open on setups in rF2. But it is incredible how diffrent setups can be as well and produce similar laptimes.

14. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

15. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

16. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Kunos really want to try this! Oh dear.....
    This train is long gone Kunos.

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If they have the resources and think the product can translate, good for them. :) We don't think rF2 would translate well and still be rF2 in any recognizable way.

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

rF2 is the polar opposite of a console title in every possible way. AC isn't that close, either, compared to PCars and most other titles.

19. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I once bought gtr-Evo....at least if my memory still is okay.....but anyway a sim i had on pc i bought that also for X-box360 for my son.....o boy that went from being a for that time good sim into a very bad racing game on the X-box. But consoles have come a long way since then so who knows.
    I'm glad you guys don't do it ......wouldn't be good for your product me thinks ;)

20. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Exactly, it wouldn't rF2 any good at all, that's for sure.
    AC on the other hand? I think it will fit very well on the consoles.